It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquid Cooling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Hey everyone.

I am currently running a Q6600 (quad core 2.4 ghz) and am looking to move to liquid cooling for 2 reasons, 1) noise reduction 2) future overclocking..

For those that have experience in LC products, i was hoping you guys and gals could fill me in on the models you recomend or use.

I was looking at Thermaltakes Bigwater 760I and read a few reviews saying it was an improvement to the old model, but didnt do too much more than high end air cooling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Waste of time.

Put a Tuniq 120 or ThermalRight Ultra 120 extreme on it instead. Lap it and the CPU. AS5. Got my Q6600 to 3.6ghz. I can go higher with cool temperatures, but it requires unacceptably high Vcores.

[edit on 7/3/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Hey man thanks for the advice. I looked into both heat sinks and from some of the reviews and tests I saw the Tuniq beat the thermalright. which one do you recomend? And by chance, do you know if it will fit an XFX 680I board?

Currently, Im using the ZEROTherm butterfly 90 (left over from my last system) and it havent been too happy with its performance on a quad core chip. Not that the chip is overheating to dangerous levels, it stays at about 50-52 under full load, but It could be a hell of a lot better, IMO.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
And by chance, do you know if it will fit an XFX 680I board?

Not sure, but this Cooler Master fit my XFX 680i ... with 2X120mm fans. CPU avgs about 42c-44c on all 4 cores. You better have a case with a Lot of room, though. I went with the Cooler Master Cosmos ... schweet. All based around this combo .

[edit on 8-3-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

is that 42 C under load? (either from a stress test, or a high end game?)

Ive got a full sized case, so space isn't an issue in that respect. I just noticed when I installed my current HS, that some of the fins come real close to the North Bridge HS (if I flipped the position of the CPU HS, the fins touched)

Another issue I'm having is I think i didn't use enough thermal paste. But its hard to tell.

I think Liquid cooling is pretty neat, but if im going to be spending that kind of cash (140-180 on the Big water 760I) I want my CPU to be actually running cooler than it would be using high end air cooling systems.

On average at idle, my cores are sitting at 34 (again averaged) and under load im at about 48.

I'm still interested in at least looking at some of the high end Liquid Cooling kits, if anyone can recommend one?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

50-52 is quiet cool. In the 70's is the upperrange of safe operation.

I think the Thermalright 120 Extreme is better... not sure. Read reviews.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I take a closer look at both heat sinks and figure out which one to go with. I just hope whatever HS I go with will keep my CPU cool after I overclock. Im probably looking at a 25% OC. I may push it a little further, but I think a good 3.0 ghz will do nicely.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Should make 3.2ghz easy, unless you have a 1.325 VID Q6600
VID is the voltage that intel recommends for stock speeds. Many processors are diferant. Obviously, higher, the worse.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Well i have the G0 stepping and I think my Vcore is sitting at 1.2(something, im at work so I cant check)

Ive been doing reading on lapping the HS and the CPU, and it seems that some believe you should only lap if there are "irregularities" on the HS or the CPU (an uneven surface) Is this true?

Most say you get anywhere from 5-10 Degree diff in temp after lapping.

Edit to add: how does over clocking effect the lifespan of the CPU? If you have proper heat dissipation will the CPU be effected at all?

How long did you run stress testing for before you decided your clock speed was stable?

[edit on 10-3-2008 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well i think im going to order a thermalright 120 eXtreme and a nice 120mm fan (with fan controller) tonight, for installation this weekend.

Im not planning to OC just yet, probably not till april, when I have some time.

My aim will be anywhere between 3-3.2 Ghz with temps in the range of 50-55 under load (obviously, im hoping for lower temps. Some have reported 48 under load at 3.1 Ghz!)

I will be stress testing for about 8-10 hours once I think ive hit a stable OC level.

Thanks for everyones opinion and help!

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
You shouldn't have ANY problem hitting 3-3.2Ghz

I'm using the same motherboard and processor with the CoolerMaster HS mentioned above [w/ 2 X 120mm fans], and it's currently running at:

System Manufacturer XFX68L
System Model XFX Nforce 680i LT
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~3600 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 1/22/2008

Rock steady with a 1.475 CV

Let us know how you make out.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Ya ill let you know how everything goes (again wont be till april as I dont have the time to go back and forth to find a stable clock speed and voltage)

Im guessing your chip is the same revision as mine? (G0)

The only real concern I have ever had when it comes to OCing is the lifespan of the processor afterwards.

Im not planning to keep the chip for 5+ years, but id like it to last a few years. You know, long enough so it can stay competitive and run my games.

BTW, those clock speeds are awesome!

Edit to add: Did you lap your processor or HS?

[edit on 10-3-2008 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Quick update: After a rather extensive on-line search (from bargain sites to more upscale ones) i found my HS, the 120 extreme. Should have it tomorrow.

Quick question: Ive seen a few comments and reviews saying the base plate is domed/warped and requires lapping in a few cases, did you have to lap your HS C0bzz?

If so, do you have a preferred write-up, or will any general set of instructions be ok?

How bout you 12m8keall2c? Any experience in lapping? How long did you stress test for?

Just trying to get a base of what I should shoot for, Im pretty new to it all.

To be honest, I had never heard about it until this thread.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Not lapped.

I wouldn't expect overclocking to decrease the lifespan of your CPU, however, overvolting DOES.... it increases some kind of a process dramatically and can kill a chip. You should be fine as long as you stay under 1.5v.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Just don't try pouring a Vodka and Coke in it to cool it down..
At least take the coke out coz it makes your keys all stick together.

If anyone can recommend a SUPER-QUIET fan/cooler I'd love to hear too..
The new Mic makes it sound like a hurricane(The highs winds right now don't help either)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Ok thanks for the answers and advice!

reply to post by AGENT_T

Well, i dont like vodka, and usually dont drink coke so my keys and CPU should be safe. But ive got my eye on you!

As for fan/cooling system, If you dont need the fan, you can go for passive cooling (fanless), Thermalright makes a bunch of passive coolers if you check out their website. In fact, the one we've been talking about (which i picked up yesterday) is technically passive by manufacture. But you can add a fan too it. Which I am. You can always get one with a fan controller on it, so you can up the speed when needed, or keep it low for noise reduction.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Cheers. I'll look them up here.

Most of the time it's not a problem..I hooked up a fan to an old 6v adaptor for 'extreme' session and the noise isn't an issue because I monitor using sound insulation Headphones..Until I need to use the Mic..Then it makes it sound like I'm at an airport.

I just noticed the temp last week running about 15 softsynths

I was wondering why I was getting a tan in front of my PC.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Update

Well I installed the 120 extreme and man, is it big! I had an 80mm side fan that was positioned above the CPU area I had to remove, but thats not really an issue, ill just mod the side of my case and have the 80 pushing air towards my Vid card.

I did notice the HS is a little loose, and did some digging and found thats a common problem with this HS, with a simple enough fix, put something underneath the mounting bracket (cardboard or a washer). Which I will do this weekend. Its not loose to the point that its not making contact (I dont think) but its loose enough that it moves a little if I put some pressure on it.

Id have to double check the numbers, but at idle, temps range from 32-35, at load, temps are 45-48. So there is already a reduction in overall temperatures.

Also, the fan I used is an adjustable speed fan that is currently set at about 35%, so Im going to see what happens when I crank that sucker up to full.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
12m8keall2c

I was wondering, seeing as you and I have the same board, what your North Bridge temps are like, both idle and under load.

The reason I ask is, currently, the way I have my HS set up is the fan is sitting over the NB HS and fan setup, with idle temps at 50 C

When i go to change my HS this weekend (as mentioned in the above post) I plan on flipping it to face the opposite direction. Also, I might as well take the NB HS and fan assembly off, and put some AS5 on it.

But I'm still wondering what the base temp is on this board.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my current MB modifications.

new topics

top topics

join