It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic Particles Outweigh Zooplankton 6:1 in Pacific Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
www.enn.com...

"Degraded plastic pieces outweigh surface zooplankton in the central North Pacific by a factor of 6-1. That means six pounds of plastic for every single pound of zooplankton."

keywords: gyre, ocean plastic

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
We should pay the floating fish factories to scoop all that stuff up if it's floating on the surface. If they can deplete the fish in the ocean they can surely deplete the ocean of floating plastics. The plastic could be recycled or whatever but the key is to get it off of the surface of the ocean I think.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yes. Great. Maybe it is a conspiracy to promote evolution of plastic-eating beings? The "good" news is that oil will end relatively soon, decreasing plastic waste. The question is will the ecosystem survive to witness that?
Edit
bold font

[edit on 7-3-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
...either way... I'm not eating anything out of the ocean.

There has been a link established between Morgellons disease and HDPE plastic.

keyword: hdpe morgellons

The plastic could be recycled or whatever but the key is to get it off of the surface of the ocean I think.

...I think...

Not sure either...

disorder....
disorder....

The Toxicity.

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Oil will end soon?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the U.S. has 100 million barrels of it in reserves. Still, I agree the plastic issue needs to be thought over... but it may be a little over hyped. The same question was posted on another forum I frequent and someone actually calculated the density of plastic, and it worked out to be roughly equivalent to three grains of sand per square kilometre.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyCM

Did you check the math or just take their word for it? Anyway the issue is the effect that the trash has rather than it's relative size compared to everything else.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
i would just like to point out that zooplankton is one of the major food chain items.
how ever you look at it, its at the top or bottom of the food chain.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
...either way... I'm not eating anything out of the ocean.

There has been a link established between Morgellons disease and HDPE plastic.

keyword: hdpe morgellons

Now that I can believe. Sounds a whole lot more plausible than chemical spraying from the stratosphere

Incidentally, I'm not really a big fan of seafood. Heh, a seal who hates seafood... stranger things, right?

top topics

join