It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viktor Bout "Merchant of Death" Arrested in Thailand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Viktor Bout "Merchant of Death" Arrested in Thailand

edition.cnn.com

For years, Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout made millions of dollars delivering weapons and ammunition to warlords and militants, officials say.

On Thursday, Bout and his associate, Andrew Smulian, were arrested in Thailand after a series of events that officials said could have come straight out of a spy novel.

"He made countless trips for the United Nations into the same areas where he supplied the weapons that sparked the humanitarian crises in the first place," the article charged. It said Bout probably committed multiple violations of U.N. arms embargoes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Honestly didn't see this coming. Where will Mr. Bout be sent for trial, as i'm certain that several countries will place a claim to get him into prison.

There is going to be a big void in the black arms market... maybe the conflicts in africa and asia will cool down a bit as their source of arms is drying up, at least temporarily.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
About time, but because it's Thailand, he'll get out via bribes if they don't move him to somewhere else.

As for the African conflicts dying down, I'm afraid not, as other dealers will pop up in his place to fill the gap in the market, and as they compete, prices will lower and weapons will become cheaper for the warlords, so they'll buy more and cause more destruction.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
ATS is officially mainstream media. A wonderful thing has happened with the arresting of this man. Hundreds of people may very well have not died today as a result of his not making any sales.

One of the most despicable men on Earth may very well be brought to justice, but people are bickering over whether A crazy man whi illed as toddler was Muslim or not, and whether or not that had a direct result of the thing. They would prefer to spew more hate and ignorance than to celebrate the detention of one of the globe's most hainous criminals.

It is like everyone enjoys more to continue feeding their own fears and persecute through ignorance than to celebrate this good news.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Is this the guy they made the movie "Lord of War" about?

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Sorry, I answered my own question by reading the whole article more thoroughly. In case anyone else is wondering, yes, he is the inspiration for the movie character played by Nicolas Cage.

Judging by the look on his face, he seems to expect this case to end the same way it did in the movies, and he is probably right. He is not being tried by any other country, nor did the article mention that any other countries were looking to get their hands on him. What is the DEA doing going after gun-runners anyway? I'll bet the US Attorney in New York gets the case cleared, and this guy back to work in no time.

Interesting that he gets pinched for trying to sell to Columbian rebels at the same time Columbia is about to go to war. Talk about an Agent Provacateur. Yup, he'll be out in no time.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I dont think this guy is getting off the hook this time. It is far too public by now. the big boys dont keep the same dealers forever. I am rpetty sure they are going to cut him loose as their agent and tie him up as their goat.

After all, we need to feel like our leaders are doing something about these crimes right

new topics

top topics

join