It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican: Bush should skip Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Republican: Bush should skip Olympics

WASHINGTON (AP) - A House Republican - chafing over President Bush's plan to attend this year's Beijing Olympics - wants to legally prohibit other U.S. government officials from using federal money to go.

Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va., cited concerns about China's record on human rights during a congressional hearing on Thursday and said Bush's presence would be akin to President Franklin D. Roosevelt sitting in the same stands as Germany's Adolf Hitler in 1936.

"Ronald Reagan would have never gone to the Olympics. I guarantee you that. Never gone," said Wolf, a member of the House Appropriations Committee.

Wolf, who co-chairs a congressional caucus on Sudan, blames China for not using its close ties with the Sudanese government to end the violence in Darfur. Wolf also charges that China has sold weapons to U.S. enemies, jailed countless political prisoners and tried to spy on America's high-tech industry, including companies in his district.

Wolf's legislation would not specifically prohibit the president from attending, which the congressman said would be tough to impose on a commander-in-chief. Instead the bill would focus on barring diplomatic and other federal officials.

Any American seen waving in the stands "will go down in history as cooperating in the genocide Olympics of 2008," Wolf said. "And history will never, ever, ever forgive them."

Last month, Bush said he planned to raise worries about human rights abuse in China with President Hu Jintao when he attends the games in August.

Bush was asked about reports that a laid-off Chinese factory worker faces subversion charges for saying human rights are more important than the Olympics.

"I am not the least bit shy of bringing up the concerns expressed by this factory worker, and I believe that I'll have an opportunity to do so with the president and, at the same time, enjoy a great sporting event," Bush said.

Wolf said the administration is missing its opportunity to deal with the crisis in Darfur.

Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte, who was testifying on foreign aid programs, responded to Wolf's comments by saying only that "there is no greater spokesman for human rights in the world than our president."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.aol.com

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
What does he mean by genocide Olympics?

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
China is killing and putting Falun Gong members in slave plantations to work for Wal-Mart and other western corporations... to utilise them to get organs to sell to westerners... things like that.

China is worse than Nazi Germany. And our leaders love China and fund them... bunch of eugenic freaks.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
where is the media's coverage of this?
i think ats should start a tv program to cover stuff like this,
and expose these topics to the mainstream public.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The people of China have no acces to ATS do they? Where is the moral outrage towards China? It seems some people are all to quick to jump on The Bush Administration/U.S policies yet no one seems to be speaking out on the other issues in our world. I feel all the different issues of the world need to be addressed with as much vigour. Its time to bring these issues out in the mainstream media!

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We do speak about China, frequently. But just because someone else has problems, doesn't mean we're not going to tackle those that our own civilization is causing as well.

I think the main reason why the US gets more attention than China is due to the fact that China isn't starting wars left right and center.

Does that mean ignore China? No, of course not. We have to attack ALL human rights violations. Home and abroad.

Trouble is, if we don't attack the human rights violations at home, we have no right to dictate to other countries on their own violations. Catch my drift?

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
China is killing and putting Falun Gong members in slave plantations to work for Wal-Mart and other western corporations... to utilise them to get organs to sell to westerners... things like that.

And instead of cutting trade with them or outsourcing all our jobs we're told to just hush up and ignore the olympics? Hmm... lame.

We shouldn't ignore the Olympics just because the Bush administration bothced all foreign affairs with other countries. That's not our fault. China is actually a good chum of the NWO but because we want to orchestrate a war with them, we're trying to act like they are our enemy?

Totally transparent.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

A bit paranoid, much? Listen, there are people in America who sincerely don't like China's policies, I'm one of them. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnskyDoes that mean ignore China? No, of course not. We have to attack ALL human rights violations. Home and abroad.

This is exactly what im talkin about!! but i'd like to ask about human rights violations in the u.s, where do you see these? i just beleive w all the bull crap goin on we in the u.s need to be grateful we have it better than most. i am the first to admit we are not perfect but no man is. i am all for being informed on the different opinions out there, so please feel free to enlighten me.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I saw that on C-span when the guy blasted the idea of the president going to the Olympics and he was dead on right. He also mentioned many things that he wasn't allowed to talk about that China is doing like spying and waging war with us over the Internet. It was nice to hear him say those things and Negropante just shrugged his shoulders and didn't say much because he would get in trouble with Bush.

new topics

top topics

join