It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Catch a Cryptid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Since everyone is so interested in discovering new species I thought we should be productive and get everyone to put on their thinking caps and come up with ideas on inventive ways to catch cryptids of all kinds. You never know - your idea might be something no one else has thought of and the breakthrough to finding a new creature.

ie

underwater sensors permanently fitted in the great lakes to catch any sign of lake monsters

satellites positioned in certain areas or to scan objects underwater (dont know too much about satellites so not sure if technology is available to achieve this yet).

ps just thought this would be fun and productive and potentially important to cryptozoology if everyone could work together

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamasita
underwater sensors permanently fitted in the great lakes to catch any sign of lake monsters

Done with Loch Ness, and yet no results.

satellites positioned in certain areas or to scan objects underwater (dont know too much about satellites so not sure if technology is available to achieve this yet).

They can't "see" underwater, and our current optics only allow a resolution down to 0,5 meters at sea level I believe (Probably better, but you get the idea).

What I would assume a better strategy, would to go out into a cryptids habitat - ie, bigfoot forests, and look for proof that there might be something. Everything else would give such a great amount of useless data, that most wouldnt want to go through it..

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
They keep teasing that they've discovered something in the commercials for the season premiere of Destination Truth on Sci Fi.

[edit on 3/2/2008 by MrAndy]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well, all animals are concerned with one thing: survival of their species.

They need to eat and they need to mate. Focus on those two things and if they don't respond, they don't exist.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by IrvingTheExplainer

They need to eat and they need to mate. Focus on those two things and if they don't respond, they don't exist.

I couldn't agree more. But if we don't know they exist, how would we know where they mate or what they eat?

Not to toss your argument, I think its a good one, but outside of poisoning the loch with a massive amount of life-killing substance what could we do?

I guess thats an idea. Go to all the places where they've been seen and scorch the earth with poison, we're sure to find them then! Dead, but a discovery is what we're after.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well, I don;t want to KILL one, just see if they are actually here or not.

Just saying, those are two things that animals have to do, so if you wanted to have the best chance of seeing one, you would have to focus on trying to coax one out to feed it or trick it into thinking it has the possibility to procreate.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
UAV type devices used to thermally track bigfoot in lush terrain.

Thats all I got for now....

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
One more thing animal have to do: die.

You might find an area where there seems to be a lot of activity over a long period of time and call these folks www.necrosearch.org... to see if they can't find a corpse.

This is most likely best used with land based cryptids.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus

Originally posted by IrvingTheExplainer

I couldn't agree more. But if we don't know they exist, how would we know where they mate or what they eat?

Not to toss your argument, I think its a good one, but outside of poisoning the loch with a massive amount of life-killing substance what could we do?

I guess thats an idea. Go to all the places where they've been seen and scorch the earth with poison, we're sure to find them then! Dead, but a discovery is what we're after.

hahaha well i just hope u dont have any pets that happen to go missing in the neighbourhood!

oh n youtube might be the worst thing to happen to ufology but the best thing to happen to documentaries

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mamasita

i thought my idea of catching a giant squid on tape was brillant and it might work for a lochness monster. First get up to five boats and line them up in the middle of the lake, then have each boat send down Gigantic lights with 2 cameras attached to each. then once in the deepest area no matter how dark it is once activating the cameras and lights probably anything within a 2 mile redius might or should be seen.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
i once caught Rush Limbaugh with a box, a stick, some string and a little bag of Percocet.

perhaps the same principles could be applied to Bigfoot.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AustinHand
i thought my idea of catching a giant squid on tape was brillant and it might work for a lochness monster. First get up to five boats and line them up in the middle of the lake, then have each boat send down Gigantic lights with 2 cameras attached to each. then once in the deepest area no matter how dark it is once activating the cameras and lights probably anything within a 2 mile redius might or should be seen.

They did *exactly* that with Loch Ness, just with way more boats. And they got zip, nada, nothing.

But of course, only Loch Ness...

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AustinHand
reply to post by mamasita

actually all those lights would scare the animals away but i've heard that red lights work because they cant see them

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Ive always thought a way to catch bigfoot would be for a bunch of teams to stake out all the lakes, ponds and rivers in areas were Bigfoots been sighted. All animals need to drink so odds are Bigfoot will wander over to one of the staked out lakes sooner or later. Have the people equiped with tranq guns, pop bigfoot with a tranq and bobs your uncle.

Im not sure how many lakes and ponds there are in say the Alleghany National Forest wich was the place of a Bigfoot sighting last year but if there arnt too many it might just be possible....

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
i watched on one doco that lima beans were one method and worked so well on the florida skunk ape he had to stop coz he didnt want it to be run ova - which leaves too many questions unanswered - why cant they do this while filming?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
This is why these people can't find anything.

1 they are city folks,even some country folks get it wrong.

2 Douse your self in one of the stinkiest animals of the area.
Fox urine,skunk glands,beaver glands,even cow paddies if thats
the prevelant smell or best guess.

3 Then you can lay your bait and place your cameras(otherwise
all you get is young or starving animals like they get on tv.

4 Pprepare the ground under or near the site and spots on trails.
(always amazed when they have activity but no prints do to
compact or clutter on trail),clean it,mulch it,stink it up,stink it all up.
your a stinky animal!

5 Reap your rewards(don't get to do this in the dakotas,give them
no clue.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus

Exactly. There is no way to study a lone male Bigfoot. He would cover terrain at a rate far beyond our ability to keep up.

I'm using Bigfoot as an example here, I guess. If we wanted to know where to catch Bigfoot eating and sleeping we would have to track him to his main habitat, which is most likely 20+ miles deep into the thick of mountains and forests...

It is more likely that a Sasquatch would roam and hunt far from his sleeping quarters.

It is also likely that to mate, roaming populations would have to cover thousands of miles to meet up. This wouldn't be hard for them. These patterns of migration HAVE been observed by tracks and sightings of individual Sassies. Native Americans also corroborate the seasonal movements of Biggies and Biggie family groups.

The biggest payout a Sasquatch hunter could ever get is to come across a groups tracks. If you are tracking a group or family, you're more likely to catch them moving more slowly and leaving behind more signs. But even then... they are like shadows.

I really can't think of any techniques that could help catch a Bigfoot except what we already use, mountaineering, tracking and cameras.

[edit on 9-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
If you lived by your sense of smell you would be miles away from any intruding yahoos,unlessyouv'e got the rare chance of a courious animal.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Who says they live by their sense of smell? We don;t even know what "it" is?

One minute we know nothing about them, then we know how they live. We have to be careful as to not argue both sides of the question, which I think happens way too much in all "conspiracies" and other topics around here.

What I said were merely suggestions. I'm not a biologist or primate behaviorist, so, it was an uneducated suggestion.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
From my wilderness experience, I will say that a group off ubanites off in the wilderness looking for anything is useless. I have seen countless documentaries where the campsite is a small circus. A small group of individuals that are well versed in wilderness living and can be quiet will see quit a lot. A large group of noisey city dwellers will be lucky if they see a squirrel. If you can sit still for an extended amount of time you will be surprised at what you can see. Movement not smell is the key sense used by most animals. There are very few places where humans have not come into contact. For a fact I have seen the large black cats and cougars that roam the eastern mountains, as to bigfoot, I am open too, but haven't actually seen one. However I have had more than a few strange experiences that cannot be explained. Will anyone actually document either? Who knows, There are pics of the cats and possible bigfoot sightings. But anything short of a corpse will not convince most people. I for one will not bring down one of the cats. One thought on the large black cats might be Jaguars lost out of their native territory. They appear to be about the same size.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

top topics

<<   2 >>

join