It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To accommodate Muslim students, Harvard tries women-only gym hours

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by BloodthirstyCapitalist

. To claim that certain gym hours are to be reserved for Muslim women, and hence that are men are expelled from the gym for these hours, is blatantly discriminatory. What is the logic behind this policy?

Where in the article did it state that certain gym hours were to be reserved for Muslim women?

And the username is jsobecky. Or jso, if you choose.

JSO,
The policy was instituted at the behest, in part, of muslim women. The policy was made to apease their "religious" natures. Apparently the non-muslim women felt comfortable with attending a co-ed gym (as is evidenced by the lack of such a policy, before the islamic group made their request). Did I mean to infer that ONLY muslim women would be allowed to use this gym during these reserved hours? No. My point was that this gym has now set up a discriminatory policy because of the requests of muslim women.

Since the muslim women were the initial instigators of action, any and all responses to their request (i.e. men are now kicked out to apease them), is directly attributable to them. Hence, these hours are now reserved FOR/BECAUSE (of) muslim women. I apologize for the miscommunique, but not for my rather terse response.

As for people claiming that I'm "foaming at the mouth" when it comes to muslims, its simply not the case. I just find it grossly unfair when institutions of ANY kind discriminate against people, based upon their race, religion, etc. etc. The fact that muslim groups seem to be the most vocal in requesting special consideration ( footbaths at public airports, praryer rooms at public schools, the banning of men from public facilities), usually at the expense (financial or otherwise) or others does indeed piss me off.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Would you be as angry if the gym created this policy in response to a request from organization for women who had suffered domestic abuse or rape who didn't feel comfortable around men?

After all, isn't that still the same type of discrimination?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Yes, I would be just as angry. In that hypothetical situation, it would be wrong for Harvard to discriminate against men just because the women requested it. What would be the difference if men requested that Harvard ban all women from a certain library for a few hours each week, so they can concentrate on studying? Would you be opposed to such an agreement?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Oh, so first you were cheesed that it was Muslim women... Now that eight people have handed you your butt on a platter about that, now you're cheesed about it being women, period.

You know there are better things you can do with your time than trying to find somethign to gripe about on the internet. Take up underwater basket weaving.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Look at the end result. Now women can work out in relative comfort. They will probably be happier because of it and will very likely treat us men better. It's a win-win.

So many of life's problems could be solved by a little courtesy.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by asublimeguy27
crap like this doesnt shock me anymore.if nothing but an attack again christain americans all our rights are taken away but the scum keep getting more rights than us.if some towel head wants to pray to mecca in school oh that fine

Why do some people not understand that this is just an arrangement!?

I could make an arrangement for me and a group of men to use the field to play football/soccer at a certain time.

So what? Who cares why I want that field be it because of religion or just to have the field to myself and mates, it's simply an arrangement! whats wrong with that?

Who cares why they want that time in the gym, why does it matter to you? It's just an arrangement for their own time in a gym, a GYM, it's just a gym, a simple peaceful arrangement, done out of respect and understanding, do you know what respect means? It's a very polite way of socialicing.

Bashing muslims like this is not respectful? see?

Your towel head comment is offensive. Also I've seen a LOT of muslims and I rarely see any of them wear a turban. Actually I've only seen Osama bin ladin do that lol. You been watching too much news? Actually saudis like to wear that head thing. I'm not sure what you call it.

But my point is, even if most muslims don't even wear those things on their head, the towel head comment is offensive, and I see that comment a LOT from muslim haters.

Oh and all that scum comments on foreigners, non white people and black people, that's not cool, try to learn to "respect" ALL people. Not just white americans.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
When are they going to implement hours for men only?

Hell, I'm sick of all those bored housewives checking me out and trying to sneak a peek at my package - it's downright degrading.
I'm not just a piece of meat you know...

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
its just sexism agian and it proves theres a double standard in society

why cant we have a MEN only sports teams then???

Right, sexist hypocrits i say...

this is just proof that everyone is bias all over agian...

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

i personally dislike all religions equally

and i find the "towel head" comment hilarious...just like i find "bible thumper" hilarious

quit being so sensative maybe? and get real?

ppl are wayy to sensative these days...maybe because their bias and hate it when people say stuff they dont like...despite freedom of speech gives us the right to do so

if you dont like it, ignore it
otherwise, take it like a man

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
its just sexism agian and it proves theres a double standard in society

why cant we have a MEN only sports teams then???

Right, sexist hypocrits i say...

Wouldn't that be the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL................. I could go on.

What's the big whoop here? It's minimal time that women can work out without the ogling. C'mon guys, you know you would ogle. We just don't have the self control the way we are wired.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by _Phoenix_

and i find the "towel head" comment hilarious...just like i find "bible thumper" hilarious

quit being so sensative maybe? and get real?

ppl are wayy to sensative these days...maybe because their bias and hate it when people say stuff they dont like...despite freedom of speech gives us the right to do so

if you dont like it, ignore it
otherwise, take it like a man

I was pointing out that it is a ignorant comment that does not make sense, and seems silly to TRY and be offensive with it. The comment is not whats offensive it's the MEANING behind the comment. Don't you see that?

Me sensitive? well I'm VERY glad that I am sensitive enough to respect people around me, and not call everyone scum.

This guy your defending is an obvious racist from his posts, and he has just posted a comment on another thread wanting to bomb the whole middle east.

Sensitive? Yes I am and proud of it. And I do take it like a man. The way a man should!

[edit on 3-3-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

So businesses like Curves should be closed down because they are discriminatory towards men, right?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
A little courtesy is extended to a group of students, and this is the beginning of the downfall of western civilization as we know it. Wow, who knew?

I've seen women, and some guys too for that matter, almost flee from a gym because of the leering and comments. Tacky is the word I'll use so I don't get a little red flaggy thing.

Much fuss and feathers for a whole lot of nothing. Courtesy was extended to women. I fail to see the issue here.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

There isn't an issue for reasonable people - it's the haters who have an issue with this, as can be seen by some of the posts in this thread.

I'd rather people got fitter (in any way they can) and not need medical care than object to a bit of exclusivity on the grounds of sexism or anti-islamic racism.

We've had pools in the UK for quite a while now, where it's a women only swim hour, or a muslim only womens swim hour, and so what, big deal, who cares.

It's not discrimination, it's courtesy.
It's not pandering to radicals, it's a courtesy based on a religious belief.

If people REALLY have a problem with this (rather than just arguing for the sake of a good argument), then I'd suggest getting a life.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
OK, help me out here.

How are they going to tell if someone is a Muslim woman?

(j/k)

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Arguing for the sake of arguing? Who'd ever do a thing like that? Can't think of anyone right off the top of my head...j/k.

So many problems would be solved with just a small aplication of common everyday courtesy. Nothing at all wrong with a little "live and let live" give and take.

<< 1  2   >>

join