It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media leaks presence of Prince Harry in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

The army posted him to Afghanistan only after the British and selected members of the international media agreed not to report his presence until he had returned from a scheduled four to six-month deployment.

That embargo was broken overnight when a German newspaper, an American website and an Australian magazine ran the story

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

But the arrangement broke down after news was leaked out on the US website, the Drudge Report, which said that the Australian magazine New Idea and the German tabloid Bild were the first to break a world embargo.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

Source

Article

Well is it any wonder the media gets a bad rap when leaks like this occur. Really there was no need for media outlets to report Harry presence in Afghanistan . All they have done is possible endanger Harry and his unit. Such reporting is irresponsible at best and difficult to control in today 24 hour global media coverage.

There is nothing wrong with Harry serving just like any other solider in fact it give him a sort of a bond for a lack of better term with his fellow countrymen who have served.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Its the friends and buddies of prince Harry i feel sorry for now they have probably become the most sought after bunch of british soldiers in Afghanistan, all thanks once again to the British media.

The poor families of those soldiers too, It would be a huge mistake to withdraw him, Like his Uncle Andrew he has the right to serve and fight, but there are reasos why this stuff is kept quiet, because every single taliban will have his head in their sights, and i bet its just a matter of time before his head gets a price.

What we need to do is charge the journalist responsible, then send him to fight as punishment every single soldier out there is in even more danger now.

And i do know it wasn't a british journalist.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I see it this way. Governments seem to have no morals in their spying on citizens. This is just a reverse instance. Citizens spying on their leaders. That said; I would never have been that reporter, because two wrongs don't make a right. But again, this is just governmental leaders getting a little of what they give.

Vas

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
Its the friends and buddies of prince Harry i feel sorry for now they have probably become the most sought after bunch of british soldiers in Afghanistan, all thanks once again to the British media.

And i do know it wasn't a british journalist.

Eh? You say its the fault of the British media but not a British journo?

It was the foreign media that printed the story, the British media were even thanked for keeping it quiet.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
it's prince harry's or the royal family's irresponsible decision-making that made a mess out of this. granted he's got the same right as any britons to bear arms and defend his country, he might make a good king someday because of this. but wasn't he and his units banned from going to iraq? harry painted a big target signs on every soldier in his units. it's gonna be british blood on the prince's hands...

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Azzllin I cant make sense of your statement concerning the British media after all it was foreign media outlets that leaked the story. Beastamerica Harry didn't serve in Iraq because media coverage of him going meant that him and his unit had a target painted on there backs.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by beastamerica

William is next in line to the throne after Charles.
It is unlikely Harry will ever be King.

European media agreed to keep the story quiet.
It was leaked in an Australian magazine and an American website picked up on it, thus putting the lives of all the soldiers in his unit in jeapordy.

CX

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Forget the media blame game, 1% of me is thinking good on Harry for doing what he's doing, and the other 99% is wondering what the hell were his advisers thinking?

I bet the lads in his unit were well chuffed at being the top target out there once Harry was put on the ground.

Some things in life are just not worth the hassle, especialy when it puts the lives of other people at risk.

CX.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Forget the media blame game, 1% of me is thinking good on Harry for doing what he's doing, and the other 99% is wondering what the hell were his advisers thinking?

IMO the right call was made other then media leaks the only way the enemy would have discovered Harry presence would have been if they took a photo of him and spread it around. The enemy would be more concerned with killing other or themselves rather then taking photos.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Prince Harry is not of royal blood.
He wasnt born of Charles Loins, he has been allowed to go, and allowed to fight, bceause another diana is looming.
he will be killed, and terrorism will get another adrenalin rush in the media.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Personally I think the story is fixed. Harry had a bad reputation of stumbling out of clubs drunk and was often seen as being immature in the media. The Royal family are no-where near as respected and looked up to as they have been in previous years.

Showing him in Iraq will trigger Royal correspondants in the media trying to promote the royal family to a new age, giving Harry an image makeover from boy to "man" and trying to fix the royal image in general.

I vote pure fabricated publicity stunt.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
Showing him in Iraq will trigger Royal correspondants in the media trying to promote the royal family to a new age, giving Harry an image makeover from boy to "man" and trying to fix the royal image in general.

Umm Harry is in Afghanistan not Iraq so your motion doesn't even add up to start with. I don't see Harry serving in Afghanistan as doing more then earning him respect . Such respect wouldn't reflect on the wider Royal Family . Prince Andrew service in the Falklands War didn't gain the Royal Family wider respect.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Umm Harry is in Afghanistan not Iraq so your motion doesn't even add up to start with.

I made a simple mistake and for that I apologise. Next time you do I would hope to pick up on it and I would like shoot down your input.

I don't see Harry serving in Afghanistan as doing more then earning him respect . Such respect wouldn't reflect on the wider Royal Family . Prince Andrew service in the Falklands War didn't gain the Royal Family wider respect.

How do you know they didn't gain added respect? To form a bond with their people during harder times where many other families had their sons fighting for Queen and country, i'm sure it would have helped the royal cause far more than if they had stayed out. Andrew was seen as a hero by some after, I expect the same will happen for when Harry returns.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Such respect wouldn't reflect on the wider Royal Family . Prince Andrew service in the Falklands War didn't gain the Royal Family wider respect.

Throughout the conflict Prince Andrew flew on various missions, including Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) and Anti-Surface Warfare search (ASuW), exocet missile decoy, as well as other missions. He also helped in casualty evacuation, transport and was involved in some highly dangerous Search and Air Rescue (SAR) missions. When the conflict ended, and Invincible returned to Portsmouth, the Queen and Prince Philip joined other families of the crew to welcome the vessel home.

Well he's been a hero, returns without a scratch, oh and low and behold a perfect photo opportunity of the Royals mixing with normal families. Now to me that seems to be a pure publicity stunt.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I say Good on Prince Harry! He is a young man just making his way through life. His biggest problem, in trying to be a "normal" young man, is that he has the onus of celebrity ensured by his title.

When I saw the news releases on the boob-tube I was thinking it was released per palace protocol, and with their permission. Now I find out differently. This is sad....more irreresponsible media coverage, IMO

Prince Harry and his team-mates will be relocated. His exposure, and that of his commrades is an intolerable situation.

Oh, for the record, who gives a flying F about Harry's paternity? I believe him to be Charles' son.......and so does the Crown. It's family business and is none of our business.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
''Oh, for the record, who gives a flying F about Harry's paternity? I believe him to be Charles' son.......and so does the Crown. It's family business and is none of our business. ''

... it means a great great deal if his REAL paternity was known.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Knights you raise some good points about the respect gained from Prince Andrew service. Don't take my correction personally sometimes it isnt clear if a member has made a honest mistake or if there just miles off base in there thinking.

The way I see it is that if Harry paternity was in question and needed to be covered up killing him would only increase the chance of the truth coming out.

Cheers xpert11

[edit on 28-2-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Pure bollocks.

I'm not British so I don't have an agenda as to the reputation of the House of Windsor. But why are you so intrigued with Harrys paternity?

I would think that skulking into the plausibility of the late Dianna's pregnancy would be more to your taste.

Considering all the ramifications associated with THAT possible potentate to the crown (albeit an unlikely inheritance).

Just a thought that's off-topic.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Not nessecarily Xpert,
They managed to cover up Diana enough...

Im intrigued with Harry's Paternity, becasue if he is of Diana's blood, and NOT Charles, then I feel the royal family would have a BIG problem with it.
Enough of a problem perhaps, to let slip that he's IN AFGHANISTAN!

Imagine if the Taliban kill Harry or kidnap him?... what an absolute boost the whole ' evil terrorist ' mentality would be given in western media? it would cause OUTRAGE...

Plus, what happens should something untoward happy to william?.. a REAL accident that see's Harry take the crown?

Look at Harry, he doesnt look anything like the royals, red hair, skin, eyes... he's a child of diana, but also of someone other than charles.

How can a Media embargo ' miss ' New Idea?
Australia is part of the commonwealth, we are merely a tool of the British Royals... we are the perfect proxy with which to 'leak' this information, if the REAL royals didnt want to appear guilty of doing so!

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Maybe there should be a new thread posted. I dunno, I'm still a greenie here.

I see what you're saying about Harrys physical appearance. HOWEVER, the crown accepts him, as does Charles. Therefore the rest of the world...me included don't amount to much in the big picture, eh?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join