It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prescription Meds during Sit X

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Medications during Situation X

Many people need to take prescription medications. With that in mind, I have a number of questions about survival of situation X.

How to you acquire a sufficient quantity of prescription meds prior to such a situation?

How long can these meds be stored and still be viable?
What is the best method for storing medications?

With your bug out gear, what medications should one carry, that are not required do to an axisting medical condition?(IE antibiotics etc)

I just want to stay informed...Just in case.('
')
('
')

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Wildbob77]

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Wildbob77]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Actually, most medications have relatively short amount of shelf life, for a lot of reasons. Sometimes it can be prolonged, but not for too long.
If a person needs Insulin, for example - huge problem. Drugs for blood pressure control - can have few/several years of stock.
Anyway, dark , dry EDIT " conditons " are is needed by majority of drugs, some need refrigiration/controlled temperature.
Anyway, antibiotics,NSAIDs are must for a survivalist, as i see it. Vitamins could be good in case of malnurishment.
However chronic drugs for decades- need production line,in few cases good chemist/chemical pharmacist can synthesize/extract it too.
I hope that this X never arrives,then no problem.
Anyway,good luck.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Personally, I also hope that such a situation ever occurs.

So, I guess everyone who has a need has to figure out how to meet that need.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sad reality... there ain't gonna be prescription drugs if Sit X hits. Most prescriptions require exacting storage; refrigeration, no light, dry etc... More than likely your neighborhood pharmacy will be gutted instantly if Sit X hits and any meds left probably aren't going to safe to take.

Take solace in the fact that most prescription medications one can live without. There are actually very few medications that are saving lives. Most simply make one set of symptoms disappear while not treating the root cause anyway. And to make matters worse, generally lead to a new set of "Side effects" which are generally symptoms from a new problem; one caused by the first drug.

I believe your best bet if Sit X hits and you are on some type of maintenance medication (they're called that because it maintains the Pharma's profit!) is to slowly ween yourself off of it. Figure out what type of supply you have and start taking less and less frequently so the body can adjust to the drugs absence without throwing your whole syystem into a tizzy. You might just find yourself feeling better after all.

To those who are on maintenance medication to sustain your lives; like insulin. I would immediately begin researching holistic medicinal techniques to treat your disorders. Alot of people are not aware that there are homeopathic, holistic or herbal remedies to assist you with your disorders. Obvioulsy Pharma doesn't want you to know about them (Hence the whole CODEX debacle - a topic for another thread!) so they are not widely published or publicized. Those that are may be laced with so much Pharma propaganda as to scare you about it's efficacy. There are doctors out there who deal in holistic and homeopathic treatment regimines - see one of them while you still can to evaluate your options. And, hey, if Sit X never does come, you may have found a way to get away from the chemical cocktails that you succumb to daily.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Good call on the homeopathy. I remember the bit in Lost where the korean woman treated an asthma patient with eucalyptus oil instead of an asthma inhaler.

If you are a diabetic requiring insulin, i suggest the weaning technique described above and converting to the atkins diet! If you dont consume much carbs, you wont have much need for insulin. And when you go hypoglycaemic, just eat a sugar lump

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Most pill based medications may be okay for a bit past thier expiration date with notable exceptions like Nitroglycerine etc.

I do belive that for liability reasons drug companies are a bit conservative on thier expiration times.

As noted above, insulin is a bummer. If you needs are low you can get by with ultra carefull diet etc, but even then thats not enough.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
After 9/11, I began to realize the reality of what *might* happen should I find myself in a situation without medications. So I began to study the uses of herbal remedies, decotions, and tincturing. Fortunately, many herbs can be safely tinctured and stored for a good amount of time. Their potency remains stable if properly prepared.

I am still a novice, but continue to study and work with herbal preparations. I have also found that along the way, I have been able to avoid some trips to the doctor.

My only advice is to learn about botanicals. Get a good book and study pictures of plants. Go into the wild and learn to harvest them. White Bark, or willow bark is an alternative to pain medication. Goldenseal root tincture and pau d' arco tincture is a powerful natural antibiotic.

I also would suggest stocking up on some already prepared homeopathic remedies (pellet form), as they can work very very well.

I'm in the process of putting together my own medicinal emergency kit.

Good luck friends!

I would also like to add, my uncle who was in the military once had my cousin swallow a tiny amount of vicks vapo rub to halt an asthma attack. I would suggest anyone downing this stuff, but from what I understand, he dosed her with a very small bb sized ball of it with a tall glass of warm water. Eucalyptus is quite strong, and I also work with tea tree oil. The doctors will not say so, but tea tree oil treatments can be effective in clearing up MRSA. I did it

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Asherah]

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Asherah]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I agree with everyone here who mentioned homeopathic remedies and weaning yourself off prescription meds.

However, I have found a way to stock up on prescription medications. It has taken a while, but I now have over a 3 month supply as back-up until I can wean myself off of meds and onto home remedies should sitx hit.

Most prescription drug plans have a "grace period", that is to say a certain number of days early you can order a refill. My prescription drug plan allows me to order refills 7 days early. So every 21-23 days I get a 30-day supply. This gives me about 7 extra pills each month. I rotate my stock so I am taking the oldest meds first.

The other thing I do is stock up on antibiotics. Every once in a while I tell my doctor I have a really bad cold and he writes me a script for antibiotics. I don't understand why he does this, but it seems most docs like writing scripts for antibiotics when people have colds. Antibiotics may be a big help if you or a loved one have an infection and no medical assistance is available.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I know I have about a 2 years supply of pain killers,I'm supposed to take them every 4 hours but I might take 1 a day,guess if things get bad can trade them for food or drink,who cares if they expire

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Also check 'naturopathic' in addition to homeopathic.

Ethnobotany, the study of Tribal uses of plants has led to many new 'modern' drugs thanks to pharmacognosy (the study of plants that heal).

Other key word: herbal medicines.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Hello. I have thought about this alot. My husband has many medical problems and keeping him in meds is a major concern. The first thing I do is order his meds 3 months at a time. I have to hope if Sit X comes it will be at the beginning of the 3 months. The second thing I have done is to get his DR to prescribe the maximum dose of each drug. He only takes half that much of most of them daily but it gives us a stockpile. 3 months of drugs are now 6 months. Also there are temperature controlled containers for insulin, so yes it does need to be refrigerated, but these bags keep it at the correct temperature. Hope this helps someone. Jane

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Perhaps if you have a good relationship with your family doctor you could express your concerns about a disruption of your prescription drugs during a state of emergency.

Explain how you're working on your own Emergency Preparedness Plan (Don't mention survivalism), and would like to prepare for such an ocurrence. Possibly he would allow you to have more than the standard 3 month supply on a rotation schedule where you turn in any unused medications for new scripts every 6 or so months. I doubt they'd do this for narcotics as they're strictly regulated. Just a thought..

[edit on 3/5/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hello friends,

Wanted to return and share some information with you, in hopes it could help.

I started to think of the Situation X when I had a bad gum infection hit 3 weeks ago. I took 2 rounds of antibiotics and it still was not clearing it completely up.

So I went in search of something natural. I decided to get some Oil of Oregano, diluted with olive oil. I rubbed this directly to the infected gum and within two days it had cleared up. Not only that, I felt overall, much better.

I'm not selling anything! I just wanted to share this with you. So do a search on this. It has very potent anti bacterial/anti fungal properties.

If anyone would like to know what particular brand I got I would be happy to share.

So now, I will be adding my Oil of Oregano to my kit for a sit x.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Ive also read somewhere that medical supplies are easily obtained without prescription from a veterinary store.

eg. Ketamine = horse tranq... and an illegal drug so i wouldnt reccomend it.

But there are plenty of others which can be used in emergencies i think. Would need considerable research though.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Study up while you can on herbal tinctures. Buy a mortar and pestle. Plant roots can resolve many ailments.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
To those who are on maintenance medication to sustain your lives; like insulin. I would immediately begin researching holistic medicinal techniques to treat your disorders. Alot of people are not aware that there are homeopathic, holistic or herbal remedies to assist you with your disorders.

Agreed... I would add, get to know your local weeds... each has its own magical healing properties.

I depend upon my personal seed bank for most remedies. That and home made colloidal silver...

keelynet.com...

Good call on the homeopathy. I remember the bit in Lost where the korean woman treated an asthma patient with eucalyptus oil instead of an asthma inhaler.

My dog has asthma... he used to get attacks at night... I now line his bed with fresh eucalyptus that I grow... no more night attacks.

I recommend reading some books on various plant based therapies to survive the transition...

Those dependant upon daily pharms, push button heat, store bought industrial food, and petro based transportation are the living dead; I do not expect to see any of them on the other side.

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It's going to be quite a shocker if something so drastic should ever happen to society. For generations and generations man has been doing everything it can to remove natural selection as a factor of existence.

Those who are healthy now should live a life of prevention by eating right, drinking right and exercising. Those who are sick now should do everything they can to minimize the effects of their debilitations as much as possible.

After a brief window of opportunity for looting pharmacies (most looting will be after narcotics for their addictions) for what you need and after any supplies you have been able to store expire or run out you will most likely die due to your ailment. If man hadn't thumbed its nose at nature for so long this wouldn;t be as big an issue as it is but here we are.

I will most likely end up blind in a prolonged "sit-x" situation myself at which point if I do not have people around willing to help me I will probably end up dead.

That's the pure truth of nature. Beautifully unforgiving.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Luckely I post relatively anonymus because my doctor would kill me if he heard this, but there's one type of antibiotics you can get as malaria profylaxe. You get it prescribed if you can't handle the other ones. Each year I tell my doctor I'm of to Africa for 6 weeks, the truth is... I'm not going anywhere, but it gives me a crapload of antibiotics.

Just one more thing on insulin, I don't use it myself but I have studied a bit about it. Before the chemical insulin was invented it was drawed from the pancreas of pigs. The method was as followes: Insert tube in pigs pancreas, and stock up the liquid that comes out of it. Not very nice for the pig but in case of survival it would be okay.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What about endothyroidism? My friend takes Synthroid. He has been asking doc, nurse, etc. The " best" asn was :you would be ok if you couldn't get it for.... two weeks, then of-course things would be back."

They refuse to answer the main question: What if there was a break down and this med was not available AT ALL for .... long.

In case anyone knows.. here's more.. had rad therpy to reduce thyroiditis but DID NOT destroy all thyroid function. Any thougths what so ever???

Best plan to date seems to be what was posted - have extra.. gradually come off...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What about endothyroidism? My friend takes Synthroid. He has been asking doc, nurse, etc. The " best" asn was :you would be ok if you couldn't get it for.... two weeks, then of-course things would be back."

They refuse to answer the main question: What if there was a break down and this med was not available AT ALL for .... long.

In case anyone knows.. here's more.. had rad therpy to reduce thyroiditis but DID NOT destroy all thyroid function. Any thougths what so ever???

Best plan to date seems to be what was posted - have extra.. gradually come off...

top topics

join