It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudan Boycotting Denmark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Source

KHARTOUM: Around 10,000 angry Sudanese marched through Khartoum on Wednesday, carrying banners and shouting slogans against a Denmark newspaper which had published blasphemous cartoons.
Denmark be severed and voiced support for a boycott of Danish produce.

University students, school pupils and men dressed in traditional white robes and turbans as well as Western dress, marched from Khartoum University shouting “Bin Laden strike again”.

Western embassies urged foreign nationals to steer clear of the rally. On Monday, Sudan’s trade ministry declared a national boycott of Danish produce on the orders of President Omar al-Beshir with importers instructed not to buy further products from the Scandinavian country.

Last Friday, several hundred Sudanese demonstrated in the capital calling for an end to diplomatic relations with Denmark and a trade boycott. reuters

Oh goodness, this is going to hurt the Danish economy so much. Sudan is such an important trading partner.

These barbaric creatures should understand that we don't live in medieval times anymore. These days we don't kill a person (in the civilized world that is) for expressing his opinion. In this case in the form of cartoons.

Remember that Iran in response to the Danish cartoons held a Holocaust cartoon contest? I have seen no such a thing as barbaric riots in Israel or the Western world, nor have I heard of death threats towards the Iranian cartoonists.

Here in Holland, we are preparing ourselves for the violence that is yet to come after politician Geert Wilders has released his movie on the Quran. (The reason for Pakistan to block access to Youtube), other countries such as Egypt and Iran have already expressed that this politician should not be allowed to say such a things. Hopefully they will guard the embassies in Arab countries very well as I feel it is going to be necessary.

This is a promo of the video the Arab world is so angered by.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Mdv2]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Oh goodness, this is going to hurt the Danish economy so much. Sudan is such an important trade partner.

Other Muslim countries might follow in the footsteps of Sudan.I wonder what would happen to the Danish economy if all the Islamic nations pull the plug on them.Plus not having good relations with 1.5Bil people won't do much good to the Danes.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
That came to my mind as well. Which is why I think the European Union and the Western world in general should try to stimulate the imports of Danish products. We should not just be there to support each other physically, in wars, but also in economical wars.

Source

Denmark’s prosperity, like that of many small nations, depends on foreign trade, and Denmark ranks among the world’s leading nations in total value of trade per inhabitant. Trade with other countries, such as the US and China, has increased, however the EU remains the most important trading zone, accounting for 70% of exports and 72% of imports in 2005. Germany and the United Kingdom are Denmark’s most important trading partners. The United States is Denmark’s largest non- European trading partner, and trade between the U.S. and Denmark is growing rapidly, currently at 25% a year pace. Denmark is a net exporter of food and energy.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by Mdv2]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
That came to my mind as well. Which is why I think the European Union and the Western world in general should try to stimulate the imports of Danish products. We should not just be there to support each other physically, in wars, but also in economical wars.

The Western world won't help Denmark because when they printed the cartoons first time,they could have been forgiven for mistakenly doing it.But when the printed the cartoons second time deliberately to cause more outrage than the Danes are in full blame.

Economical wars are not fought over stupid things like this.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Attari
Economical wars are not fought over stupid things like this.

Obviously the are. I fully support Denmark. They did this after one of the cartoonist was threatened to be murdered by extremists.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Probably has the Danish people relieved to be reviled by such a forward thinking and progressive nation as Sudan. I seriously doubt that the Danes are very worried about the reactionary impulses of the Sudanese. They weathered the Nazi's rather well. So I'm inclined to believe they are not to worried about the world's next new fascists.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Sudan boycotting Denmark? Then I guess the Danes might stop sending all this aid they send to Sudan...

Btw, there are 82 people in Denmark with the name "Kurt Westergaard" (the guy who made one of the cartoons). Almost all of them have received death threats now, by phone and by email, etc. And their wifes and their children. Innocent people, who just happen to have a "dangerous name"... :shk: In Sudan, there were posters with a picture of a norwegian guy who never had anything to do with the cartoons at all! He is now branded as "the evil cartoonist" and needs police protection. This is INSANE!

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Here is the norwegian guy who has nothing to do with the cartoons. From the protests in Sudan. He needs police protection now. What would you say if it was a picture of you on those posters?

Photo: TV2

Related thread

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
After the new Dutch islam-critic film "Fitna" was released, muslims are now demonstrating again. And once again, they unleash their anger on the innocent Norwegian (Kokkvold). Here's a video from yesterday's protests in Pakistan. They are burning danish flags, and are "beating up" a poster with a picture of Kokkvold (the Norwegian from my previous post, who has nothing to do with any of this)...

Norwegian article with video from protests in Pakistan

How would you feel if they were "beating up" a picture of you? Ironically, the cartoon by Kurt Westergaard was featured in the Dutch film. Kurt Westergaard never gave permission to use his picture in this film, and has sued the film maker. While muslims unleash their anger on someone they believe is Westergaard. What's their excuse for this behavior? "Someone is offending us! So let's go burn some random flags and wave posters of random people. That'll teach them to not offend us again!"...

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Isn't the Sudan the home of a genocidal war and slavery?

Maybe the world should boycott the Sudan.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Isn't the Sudan the home of a genocidal war and slavery?

Maybe the world should boycott the Sudan.

There's no maybe about it. Sudan is a cesspool and I agree with the previous poster who said that Denmark should halt all aid to Sudan. In fact, I think all other civilized nations should as well, but that's another issue. Ugh this whole cartoon business is so ridiculous! If it's against the law to express whatever opinion in whatever backward country you live in, fine, but in the civilized world, in DENMARK, as well as in the US, and to a lesser extent Canada and the UK, there is such a thing as free speech, and if people don't like it - especially immigrants to those countries - they can get the FFFFFFFFFFFFF out!!

And to all the crackpot sympathizers out there, how WOULD you feel if that was your picture on some lunatic's poster? How would you feel if your image was being maimed and burnt in effigy? How would you react to death threats to you and your family just because you shared a name with someone who was unpopular?

new topics

top topics

join