It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's Role in World War III

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
There has been alot of talk about World War 3 coming up, and about China building up their military and buying 6 super carriers from the Russians...

Now what do you guys think Australia's role would play if China started a war with America, now consider the case, if China attacks America, both sides will call for their allies to join in the fight, and those who do not pick a side would be branded traitors/enemies ( Now this is just in a massive WWIII scale scenario )

China would probably have Russia, Iran and some other eastern/middle eastern countries on it's side, and apparently South Africa too...

America, well they would have Canada, the UK, and France, i am presuming...

But would Australia take part in such a war, would they try and remain neutral ?

I mean Australia has a population of just over 20 million, and as decent a military as they might have, is it a good Idea for them to take part...

I personally hope Australia will remain neutral in all this, but I have heard that the US and Australia have strong ties...

Any views on this ??

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Well judging how Australia deal with Japan on whaling, and how they sit back and do nothing after the incident with the cricket with India. I say you have your answer. Nothing. After all, we have to keep good relations with our neighbours at all cost.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Vimes

Excellent questions Vimes.

I dont see why we would be expected to participate, since a conventional war between China and the US is highly improbable. Where would such a battle take place?

The truth is, that the only war that could occur between China and the US would be a nuclear one.

The 6 supercarriers you mentioned weren't a threat in the hands of the Russians and they wont be a threat in the hands of the Chinese. To the US Navy anyway. The Australian Navy on the other hand is another matter and off topic.

Hope some of that makes sense.

CT

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by iammonkey

Well would you rather we get involved in a war like situation of
such magnitude ?

Australia has always been on the "outside" and on the neutral side of things, ( except of course for the Bush War ) which I believe is why today we are such a great country...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Theorist

I understand exactly what you mean....

But lets say worst comes to worst, and the US being the US "forces" it's allies to fight alongside the US military machine... The whole "either your with us, or your against us US mentality"

Would it be better for Australia to be labeled enemies of the US, or to actually give in and join the fight...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Gates in Canberra... DoD clip should open in WMP. Ministerial Consultation.

Cheers, charcoal-chickey, Fosters and Supercars

Vic

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Not only strong ties, but legal obligations via alliances to defend one another.

Its obviously interesting to talk about such scenario's, but I think all this talk about WWIII is just wishful thinking from the paranoid set here on ATS. There's conflict now in the ME, possibility for conflict in the Balkans and other areas, but I don't beleive there's much likelehood of a world war - those days are well and truly over. If there's resources to be fought over, that's where the flashpoints will be. There could be a bit of kerfuffle over Israel and its neighbours if someone does something silly over there, but that's none of Australia's business.

I think its time Australia re-examined its relationship with the US. If I can give you an analogy...

Pretend you have a good friend you like to go to the pub with. The only problem is, when your mate gets a bit pissed up, he likes to start fights. If you are out with him, you have no choice to help him out even if he starts trouble over nothing, but pretty soon you get sick of that crap. Eventually you say to your mate that you don't want to go out with him anymore because each time you do he acts like a dickhead and starts trouble. You can still be friends, but choose not to participate in his "adventures" any more.

Australia has joined America in pretty much every conflict since WWII. We went on their silly adventure to Iraq with no strings attached and ended up getting shafted by fabricated intelligence and backdoored on trade deals from our "friends" in America. The new government has decided to pull out of Iraq, but remains comitted to the misadventure in Afghanistan...

Its time Australia looked after Australia first. After all, its not like the Americans really need us anyway.

In the unlikely event that there was a global conflict, we'd be drawn in by our alliances and by association. We host a number of very important US installations, and offer a great base of operations for Western Pacific and Indian Ocean campaigns.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Vimes

Would it be better for Australia to be labeled enemies of the US, or to actually give in and join the fight...

In your hypothetical situation, I dont think it would matter.

First of all, the US would have its hands full dealing with the Chinese threat. Too full to notice that Australia hasnt sent their 5000 man contingent to assist.

Second of all, I dont believe that war would be conventional. Therefore the only assistance Australia could provide would be Forward Operating Bases for US bombers to deploy from.

CT

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Makes sense what your saying, and i believe that is the case, I also don't believe a whole world war scenario will ever play out as people make it out to happen, I do however think that the possibilities of a few nukes flying across the oceans are very probable in serious circumstances...

If so, i'm glad I am all the way on the other side....Melbourne

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Australia has fought alongside America in every major conflict since World War 1. As far as allies go, Australia is the only one I can think of that has always backed America and never asked for anything in return. They don't want money or nukes or missile shields or special protection. Pretty good friends I think.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Their best choice is to do nothing and just sit there.

Doing nothing.

However, American bases on foreign soil may make Australia a viable target.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
ERM us in Australia first off are part of the commonwealth. Which pretty much means that If England goes to war. The Queen rings us up and says Australia, get your fighting boots on, you are now at war with our enemy too. If the queen doesn't like a PM that has just been elected, she can say, you are now relieved of position as Prime Minister of Australia.

But really, Australia is a close ally of the US. I also believe we still have the ANZAC treaty pact, which is US , Australia, Ew Zealand, and of them get attacked, the others come to their aid.

I dont beleive we have any such pacts such as that with China do we?
Well we do have a Fair Trade Agreement...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Isn't South Africa part of the commonwealth too ??? why don't they get called to war ?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
"Our Defence policy is based on three pillars: our alliance with the United States, our membership in the United Nations, and of course our policy of comprehensive engagement in East Asia and in the wider Asia Pacific region. These are the three pillars which underpin our approach to national security policy."

source: www.alp.org.au...

Make no mistake, the Commonwealth means jack # when it comes to Australia's Defence policy. If you ever join the military this is one of the first things you learn when you study Defence policy. Out of about 10 bullet points on the list of the objectives of the policy, defending the country comes in at about number 3. Number 1 is maintaining the alliance with the United States. Period.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Snappahead

So your saying that if the United States decided to go on a all out war with the middle east/east, Australia would not hesitate to take part ?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Our Defence policy pretty much dictates this would happen, if the US asked us to participate. We are legally obligated to assist in the Defence of the US if it was attacked (as they are in the reverse case), but if the US is the agressor then we don't have to go to war with them, but there is every likelyhood Australia would join in if called upon.

I don't know about Kevin07 though - he strikes me as the type that might just say no.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Snappahead

I think so too, but you never know with politicians...this is making me think twice about joining the military, would have signed up full time...i think i'll just join the police force like i wanted to in the beginning

Was considering joining the Reserves and being in the police force

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Alright to answer this question definativly i have e-mailed the Commonwealth organisation.

Just waiting for a response.

However Australia and Canada are sending troops to us and we do the same.....

Even though the commonwealth doesn't have a massive say on things the tend to stand united during military conflict.

America is The Uk's allie and thus is the commonwealth.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Vimes

This brief but highly informative flash presentation will provide answers to many of your questions, such as:
1) Australia's role in World War 3.
2) Countries involved in the war.
3) Weapon of choice

Click to see Flash movie then press Start*

* Press Start to start the flash movie.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by Pagani]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join