It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Dictators of the 20th Century

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I am interested in seeing what political figures from the 20th Century people on ATS would have on their top ten list for the worst dictators of the last Century. Mine would be the following:
1. Josef Stalin, Russia/USSR:
2. Mao Tse Tung, PRC;
3. Adolf Hitler, Germany;
4. Pol Pot, Cambodia;
5. Saddam Hussein, Iraq;
6. Kim, Jung-Il. Korea;
7. Idi Amin, Uganda;
8. Fidel Castro, Cuba;
9. Slobodan Milosovic, Yugoslavia/Serbia; and,
10. Pinochet, Chile
I know that there are a lot of worthy characters for the top ten list I have suggested, and not every one will agree with all of my choices, except for maybe the first three or four. I just propose that every one post their top ten list to this thread to get an idea of where every one stands on this subject.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'd have to agree with your list... I certainly agree that Josef Stalin was the worst one out of the group. THE MAN IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATHS OF ANYWHERE FROM 20 To 80 MILLION PEOPLE!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
honestly, i think fidel doesn't belong on that list. he's a teddy bear compared to everyone else on that list...
which is saying something about how messed up those others are.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I suprised that George W Bush isent on the list

Actually, I think Mao should be in the #1 spot. I think more people died in the so called "Great Leap Forward" alone then in all of Stalin's rule.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I'd put George W. Bush in between 4 and 5.

Just my take. Don't have to call someone a dictator for them to be one

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Robert Mugabe is another man I'd like to see added to the list.

Benito Mussolini? Not sure, but why isn't Franco on the list?! He was worse than Castro.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Conley
3. Adolf Hitler, Germany;

My take on the list.

Well, I'm thinking there should be more on the side of the Axis, but I just cannot figure out who.

Is Mao supposed to be higher than Stalin? Better ask the chinese and the russians, I don't know.

Just like infinite, I'm also not sure about Mussolini. Also about Castro and Pinochet. Slobodan definitely needs to be higher. Bush Jr, need not to be on the list, besides it's the wrong century.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I would add Doc Duvalier and Jean-Bertrand Aristide of Haiti to the list. They used some particularly nasty techniques.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
I suprised that George W Bush isent on the list

It was only a matter of time until someone said that.

- Bush 43 isn't a dictator. He was elected and his term is about up.
- Most death totals that people try to stick him with aren't real totals and most aren't because of his decisions.

I agree with JSO .. his two additions should make the list - perhaps it should be the top dozen dictators, eh?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I would list Ho Chi Minh of Vietnam communist 4th place on the list .

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I would place Lenin ,somewhere near the top. Stalin was his student, after all. A little "better" then the teacher , but not that much.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wally Conley

UHMMMM NOOOO>..Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe should be on the list.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
"Bush isn't a dictator." HAHAHAHA---laughable. Bush and his administration have given themselves dictatorial power. They have no legal subordination to Congress or the people anymore....and on top of that, he has made himself immune to any proceedings regarding any war crimes hey may have committed. AND he has committed war crimes, I don't know how anyone can deny that.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Are we going to get another SCUB B senate for kanata ?

A clean TV ariel , 7 channels with proper canadian content . 1 sports , 2 arts , 3 english , 4 french with news from paris , 5 spanish , 6 polish , 7 dutch with new from the netherlands

The SCUB B senate do not hide the truth , why do you have that damn soup bowl with you again insecta , I am a KOA , the Knights of Amerika live in kanata the Knights of Columbus are OVER . How dare you make my Asian Canadian friedns mad , I am the senator Mr Postigo , a knight and a crusader to the cause of a clean 7 channels and NO SOUP BOWLS outside my senatorial ridings storefronts .

I dunno , something to do . Nice jail setup , what a mess ...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Reply to jokerdazey2

I'm sorry.......what? I can't decipher a single idea from what you just wrote.

[edit on 10/1/2008 by iceofspades]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jokerdazey2

Ummmm, anyone able to decipher that?

But on topic, how did Franco, Mussolini and definently Mugabe miss out on the list? Care to explain OP?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I thought I should point out the obvious. George Bush can't be on the list because it's a list of 20th century dictators, and he didn't take office until Jan. 2001, and that would be the 21st century.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Oh.........right. I feel stupid now. Thanks for that, I need to be humbled every now and then

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Don't forget about the 'Young Turks' of the Ottoman Empire and, in particular, Enver Pasha;

The Armenian Genocide, 1915–1917 period
In November 1914, the Ottoman Empire entered World War I on the side of the Central Powers. Minister of War Enver Pasha developed a plan to encircle and destroy the Russian Caucasus Army at Sarıkamış, to regain territories lost to Russia after the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878. Enver Pasha's forces were routed at the Battle of Sarikamis, and almost completely destroyed. Returning to Constantinople, Enver publicly blamed his defeat on Armenians living in the region actively siding with the Russians.[31]

en.wikipedia.org...

Which may have killed between a 1- 1 1/2 million men women and children.

Enver was not directly in charge of the Armenian Genocide of 1915, but according to Armenian resources, on May 19, 1916, Enver declared, "The Ottoman Empire should be cleaned up of the Armenians and the Lebanese. We have destroyed the former by the sword, we shall destroy the latter through starvation." He further stated, "I am entirely willing to accept the responsibility myself for everything that has taken place."

www.armeniapedia.org...

Great idea for a thread. No doubt a 'top ten' will be hard to figure out with so many dark and powerful criminals vying for the dubious honour during the past century.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
"Bush isn't a dictator." HAHAHAHA---laughable. Bush and his administration have given themselves dictatorial power. They have no legal subordination to Congress or the people anymore....and on top of that, he has made himself immune to any proceedings regarding any war crimes hey may have committed. AND he has committed war crimes, I don't know how anyone can deny that.

Oh yeah, Bush is in the same league as Stalin. Doesn't anyone read any history anymore, or just base decision on youtube and ATS?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join