It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Materials: Duct Tape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
No survival kit should ever be without a couple of rolls of this stuff, there are just too many uses to think of...here's a few examples from 101 uses for duct tape:

Twist a long piece into rope
Patch ripped clothing
Repair broken fan belt
Attach leg splint to broken leg
Make work gloves
Make a boat out of it

Or how about a pair of shoes/boots?

Any more ideas for uses?

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Oh yes, a big roll or two of duct tape should be in every home kit too!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
In the uk we call this stuff gaffa tape... i think it comes from the fact that "gaffa" is a cockney word for boss (cockney is the accent or slang they use in london) and the stuff was quite expensive so you'd have to get it from the boss and couldn't just help yourself... if i'm wrong about this then feel free to correct me, but thats what i was told!

I used to perform in a touring theatre and we would build the whole set ourselves, most of it would be held together by gaffa tape!

other uses include

temporarily fixing a leak

i also used it to fix a really big hole in a wall in my flat before i put the wall paper up

it's also good for kidnapping! (apparently) lol

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by realism

Very interesting...

From Wikipedia:

"A gaffer in the motion picture industry is the head of the electrical department, responsible for the execution (and sometimes the design) of the lighting plan for a production. In British English the term gaffer is long established as meaning an old man, or the foreman of a squad of workmen."

And:

"Gaffer tape, sometimes shortened to gaff tape (especially by theater and photographic professionals), or made possessive, as "gaffer's tape", is a strong, pressure-sensitive, cotton cloth adhesive tape. It is an essential, all-purpose tool on theater, film and television productions as well as live performances and any other kind of stage work."

Is it derived from "Gaffer" as in foreman or as in head of electrical department...?

In Swedish, it's called "silvertejp" (or "silver tape" in English) because of its often silvery colour.

In German it's strangely enough often called "Duck Tape"... Wiki: "Duck Tape ist der historisch gewachsene amerikanisch-umgangssprachliche Begriff für silbergraufarbenes, selbstklebendes sowie wasserdichtes Gewebeband." I kind of feel sorry for the ducks in Germany...

Anyway, back to topic. I've got a copy of the book "Don't forget the duct tape" by Kristin Hostetter which has become a classic amongst the outdoor buffs together with "How to s**t in the woods: an environmentally sound approach to a lost art " by Kathleen Meyer.

It's really amazing what you can do with a few meters of duct tape. Many survival writers actually recommend duct tape as a necessary item in any survival kit.

It can be used to dress wounds, repair tent poles, fix hiking boots and mend rips in tents, sleeping bags and sleeping pads. And it's virtually indestructible.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by IKEA]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
coooool!! so i was pretty nearly right then really!!

the weirdest thing is i'm starting to put together a "survival back pack" i know i might sound paranoid to hell but it's better to be prepared!!!

Gaffa tape will be in there without a doubt!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Finnish term for duct tape is Jeesus tape; it does miracles

A definite item in every survival situation, there are very few things you cannot fix with duct tape and 0.5mm steel wire.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Any more ideas for uses?

Yes - wrap your best friends / worst enemy's xmas gift in normal cheap wrapping paper (design don't matter - make is pink flowers).

Then simply waste as much of this marvellous material as you can afford making the wrapped pleasantry impenetrable to all but the most dedicated attack.

Oh yheah - works best is the gift is on the larger, heaver and interestingly shaped side. And totally worthless so as to really stick the boot in! (ain't I a rotter)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Jackie Chan swears by the stuff-whenever he gets an injury doing stunts he just wraps in up in duct tape,and leaves it on for 3 days...Must be painful to remove the it though.
I once used a length of it as a makeshift dog lead-Lasted fine with my giant hi torque Alsatian!

Great for fixing ripped tents as well.

When i used to skate duct tape was essential for repairing shoe soles,just build it up a few layers and its better than anything else on the market for durable waterproofing of shoe holes.

Handy for shutting up the GF too (joking)..

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
"Miracle of Duct Tape"

Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA demonstrates the many miracles of duct tape - the ultimate survival tool. From tent repair to makeshift waders, any hunter, fisherman, or outdoorsman can use duct tape.

How about that .. "The ultimate survival tool".

Everyone should have a roll or ten of this

It has so many uses, and is so "cost effective" it's a must have for any bug out bag.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Great Stuff, have some in my BOB and also always on the side of my medic kit. Fantastic stuff

Myth Busters like it:

top topics

join