It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For all the AR-15 owners out there.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hi, all. I'm a gun-smith of sorts an avid lover of the AR-15. I have a product I'm working on and need input. Now, I know what your thinking, why would I post something like this on ATS. Answer is simple, I need input. Alot of input. So, here we go.

I have never liked batteries in a battle field situation. Their sensitive, like to fail at the wrong time, finite, and you need to carry more. Not to mention the more gear you have on your gun, the batteries you need. I have been testing the idea of having a Faraday generator mounted in the butt-stock of a rifle.
For those of you who do not understand, it's the same idea as those shake powered flashlights.
The buffer tube in stock would provide the power to move the magnet across the coils. Alot of coils would be needed to power up the capacitor's quickly. a rechargable battery in the stock would provided power if the capacitor was completely drained. Like the battery in your car. The capacitors can hold a charge for days, even weeks. Adapter's would be needed, of course, but I don't think that's my biggest problem.
There are 2 down sides I need to work out that see so far. One, The more you hook up to the generator, the less time you have on one charge. Second, the magnet field would need to be deadened or it could mess up alot of things. A lead lining might solve this, but it might throw off the balance of the gun to much.
I've already built a mount for a nice Faraday flashlight for my gun. I have to say that I like what I've seen so far.
Anyway, let me know what you think. It's still in the design stage and I want this to work. Thanks for your help.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
A couple thoughs come quickly ...

1. Would I have to shake my weapon to get the electronics to work once the capacitor/battery was depleted?

2. Are you planning on recharging the capacitors/battery from firing the weapon? Is a single back and forth motion of the buffer assembly enough to keep a charge?

3. You wil not be firing continously, in fact you will be not firing much more often than you are firing. Is the relatively small amount of time you are firing, and thus charging the capacitor/battery, sufficent to keep a charge?

4. While all the negatives you mentioned about batteries are true, they do have one benefit, they are a proven technology. A Faraday generator is an interesting idea, but is it, or can it become, practical?

5. Can the faraday generator take the beating that will come with being used in a combat situation? i.e. can it be made Private proof?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
1: No, the rechargable battery is only for powering the gear when the capacitor is completely drained. the generator will recharge the battery.

2:a; Yes, That's the idea.b; That is what i'm shooting for. if I just can't do it, I may scrap the idea. Because I've got all the power of the recoil, I could very likely do it. I will likely have 1,000+ wraps.

3: I'm shooting for a 1 hour charge life with reasonable load on it. the rechargable battery would serve as a backup. if both fail before you use your gun, you'll need a spare. But 1 spare is far better than 3 different finite spares for your sight, laser, and flashlight. each different and not interchangable.

4: It already is in use. Faraday flashlights can be bought at any walmart. My idea works on the same idea, but bigger and better. It is almost closer a linear electric motor, but the Faraday flashlight was my inspiration.

5: I believe so, but I will only know by building it and testing it. Thats alot of money. That's why i need alot of input while things are cheap to know if I should go ahead.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bossman

Something to consider is different stocks. I personally don't use it because in NY it counts as one of my assault weapon points, but some of my buddies use telescopic stocks. The size of the stock changes the buffer tube assembly.

Now if you could harness the gas from the gas tube as an alternative to the buffer tube, you'd be on to something. Not much clearance in the chamber...

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bossman

Hi Bossman, I'm not a gun owner, being from the UK, but your idea caught my interest..

I'm guessing from what you mention so far that you have a mechanism with a linear motion in mind driven by the gun's recoil action?

I'm just wondering if there could be space in the stock for a flywheel charging mechanism, similar in kind to the device that some kinetic-winding watches use?

The benefit of this would be that if the rifle hasn't been fired for some time and the battery has no charge, you could use a sprung pulley-cord similar to a mower starter cord to spin the flywheel and start the initial charge, or even something like the clockwork charging pack found in clockwork radios that could be cranked by hand to start the charge-up?

just a thought

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The AIMPOINT scope that I have the M3 has a battery life of 50,000 hours on setting 7. I have heard the M4 is close to 80,000! If that idea does not work get a Aimpoint and 5 batteries. That will probably outlast the AR

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I was thinking the same thing. Improvements have been made that significantly extend the life of the batterys in especially with the Aimpoints as that was one of the problems with the early models. The Trijicons dont use a battery of which I know..some kind of light gathering rod on them. Very unusual looking.

My initial impression of this gadget is one of whether I have to shoot my rifle to get it to charge??

Nonetheless. ...tech has improved significantly that battery life is not the problem it once was.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
What about the retractable butt stock? Will this work in those such as m4s as well?

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am a proud owner of a Rock River LAR15 with all the bells and whistles. The Aimpoint scope I don't see having a problem with the battery life. The SureFire flashlight is another matter all together. I wonder with the popularity of the retractable stock could you not make (just spitballing here) some sort of a friction energy from retracting and closing the stock. Almost like a pump of a sort. You get what I am saying? Nobody wants to have to jiggle there weapon, but what if you just pumped it up a bit before heading out? Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Most of the CCO's (M68/MGO's) batteries have about 10 years life time on highest settings nowdays ... so there really is no need for that. surefire's a different thing thu.. but how much extra weight are you gonna end up having, Faraday generator vs batteries?
plus I can carry like 10 of those lil suckers
and if I ran out, I can always restock at a near FOB or what not.

But hey, good luck with it thu. might end up being a usefull thing, you never know.

top topics

join