It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where in the bible does it say that women cant be ministers?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Women are allowed to sing, give testimony, and prophesy.
Not TAKE over the Church.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
The One thing they were told not to do and they messed it up for everybody!

Why do we want to know about evil when we had the Good?!!!

hoy do you know what good is, without evil? The forbidden fruit was simply the knowledge of duality. That's why as soon as they the apple, they noticed they were different from each other. Without such knowledge, how would you ever appreciate variety?

Duality is not something that a human being could have avoided, silly stories about fruit or not.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

DUALITY?
Like male female? Elephant, mouse?
Apples and oranges?
They already HAD ALL of that! What More?

WE HAVE to know about molestation and murder to be fully human?
I think that's a bunch of malarkey.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Women are allowed to sing, give testimony, and prophesy. Not TAKE over the church.

Why though? Why as a man am I a better fit for that position than you are? You obviously know more about christianity than I do.

I have to say I have never been to a church where women prophesize.

I have long wondered why and never got an answer that satisfies me.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kaferwerks

Because men and women think differently(right side /left side, sort of thing)
ALL the apostles were male.
Levitical priests were ALL male

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You say because of left brain right brain...that doesnt matter so much does it...what about left-handed men using their right brain?

Who in 1500 bc had a concept of left and right brain-ed-ness

Why would it be impossible to believe it was a load of crap created to keep women down. It has gone on so long that now it is gospel and nobody questions it. I can totally see something like this happening.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

reply to post by scientist

DUALITY?
Like male female? Elephant, mouse?
Apples and oranges?
They already HAD ALL of that! What More?

WE HAVE to know about molestation and murder to be fully human?
I think that's a bunch of malarkey.

you have the right idea, but your logic is false. Yes, the duality existed, just as evil existed (apparently). The only difference was that after eating the apple (from the tree of knowledge), they were then able to identify and understand duality.

Just like humans didn't know about the world of microscopic biology until we could actually see it with microscopes. It didn't cease to exist just because we were ignorant of it - in fact many people blamed sickness and health problems on things like magic and religion, since they weren't aware of bacteria and viruses. Same thing here.

NO, we don't have to know about murder and molestation to be human, that's not even close to the point. It's closer to a point you would brng up when refuting something you don't fully comprehend.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I've been to a lot of churches where women were preaching and they usually tried to ACT like a man. BESIDES violating scripture.
I'm a woman, BTW.

If you believe so much in traditional roles of woman, and you are a woman, what are you doing on here? Shouldn't you be in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant? Isn't that a traditional role? Wow.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Doesn't make much sense! Just as a mass murderer who kills thousands of people can find belief 10 minutes before he dies and goes to heaven while Wally do gooder who has fed and clothed the poor, never said or thought anything ill about anyone and has only done good things is punished by being sent to hell!! just because he doesn't believe! MAkes no sense!
What do the Sumerian tablets or older religious translations say about this issue about women. Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

reply to post by kaferwerks

Because men and women think differently(right side /left side, sort of thing)
ALL the apostles were male.
Levitical priests were ALL male

Agreed.
Also the definitive verse in 1 Timothy.
Also because, like to admit it or not, women have the biological once a month attitude problem that sometimes
gets in the way of rational thinking.
Funny how no woman admits to this, but all men have to live thru it.....

PUTTING ON FLAMEPROOF SUIT.........

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaferwerks
So basically it the passage is saying that it is ok for women to teach but not in a church? Or am I understanding this wrong?

I have no issue with women to teach in church, Paul does. This is why he says he will not suffer it. I don't find sufferage in it so long as they are being true to God. Neither Jesus nor God say a woman cannot teach in church (though am welcomed to be shown otherwise).

Originally posted by kaferwerks
Why though? Why as a man am I a better fit for that position than you are? You obviously know more about christianity than I do.

I have to say I have never been to a church where women prophesize.

I have long wondered why and never got an answer that satisfies me.

I think it's because many elders are still within the traditional household roles. The way it was 50+ years ago, women have children and keep house, men work. These days roles are less distinct.

Having a mother, I remember the things she taught me. She taught me well.

Having teachers most of whom were female in school who taught me various subjects, they have never led me astray.

Having professors in college who were women, their facts were true. I've learned much from them.

How is it then when a child of God who is given the same command to "Go and tell the good news to all ends of the earth" is asked to keep silent?

Trivia question. Who said this?

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

[edit on 13-2-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tacocheesey

I've been to a lot of churches where women were preaching and they usually tried to ACT like a man. BESIDES violating scripture.
I'm a woman, BTW.

If you believe so much in traditional roles of woman, and you are a woman, what are you doing on here? Shouldn't you be in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant? Isn't that a traditional role? Wow.

That's a convenient, catchy response.

Back on point; this becomes a great example for the family's in the church to follow, a woman leading the flock.... Guess a woman should go home and then become the head of the household, then, right???

This has been proven to be one of the surest ways to break down the family structure and ruin a nation or people.

Nowhere in scripture does it say a woman is less than a man, it DOES say a man's place is at the Head of his family, as the Messiah's place is at the Head of the Body, and the Body's members are subject to the Head. Women, for example, have rarely in HISTORY been expected to Fight and or DIE for the family, (except in these "modern" times where they have DEMANDED? to do so), this is been a man's place, (see also the MESSIAH'S death for his "family").
Like it or not, men and women are TWO DIFFERENT PARTS of the same species... And they have different (traditionally, biologically, and religiously) roles in the successful continuation of that same species.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
this idiocy is but one of the reasons i don't adhere to organized
religion. anyone with half a brain should know that in history men
have had the need to be the ultimate leader. it's just another silly
leftover from ancient days. the purpose of living and growing
mentally is to ascend, not stay in a friggin cave minded status.

just because something is written in a book thats been written,
amassed and rewritten is no reason to believe every thought
literally. this earth is definately a school and fifth graders are
running some religious beliefs!!!!!!! pure idiocy indeed.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
even though i do believe in god and go to church, i think for myself. the bible was written by MEN! really, how do we KNOW that it was eve that bit the apple? who saw it? who maybe adam bit the aple and blamed eve? after all, if peter can deny christ three times before the cock crows, could not adam place the blame on eve? god asked 'who partook of the tree?" would not an all knowing god already know? so why ask?

remember, history is written by the victors. men WERE in control then. almost every thing was written by men. no matter what, we are mortal and WILL place our biases into eny thing we create.

just some thoughts. have a good day!

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Lest we all forget, the Bible as we know it today is a compilation of documents from the time of Christ. It was rewritten by the Emperor Constantine at the Council of Nicea in (I believe) 325 AD. I believe that various Popes and other Roman Catholic dignitaries also had a hand in editing the Bible. So the version we refer to today may have held a completely different meaning when it was originally written. This doesn't even take into account the translation to English from ancient languages.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yknot
Back on point; this becomes a great example for the family's in the church to follow, a woman leading the flock.... Guess a woman should go home and then become the head of the household, then, right???

Marriage is a partnership, not a dictatorship.

"and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one." - Mark 10:8 (reflecting on Genesis 2:24)

"Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." - Ephesians 5:21

This has been proven to be one of the surest ways to break down the family structure and ruin a nation or people.

I'm curious, let's see the proof.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by last time here
this idiocy is but one of the reasons i don't adhere to organized
religion. anyone with half a brain should know that in history men
have had the need to be the ultimate leader. it's just another silly
leftover from ancient days. the purpose of living and growing
mentally is to ascend, not stay in a friggin cave minded status.

just because something is written in a book thats been written,
amassed and rewritten is no reason to believe every thought
literally. this earth is definately a school and fifth graders are
running some religious beliefs!!!!!!! pure idiocy indeed.

Okay, here goes the "wer'e now much smarter than people were 100 years ago and have Risen above our biology line of reasoning" Those people ( your grand-parents and great-grandparents btw, are then described as "ancient" and "stupid".......Yeah, right, I guess all the hero's and great minds and figures of history, (women AND men) were just poor trogs who couldn't walk upright or straight. No pollution, no strange cancers, stress related heart attacks, all women in the history of the word all trodden-down ect... Pure idiots, as you would say.
I guess that's convenient for your point.
But a few choice words don't change history, or the order of things.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Yknot]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
actually, the bible is a compilation of letters, stories, opinions and
history from periods at least 5000 years before christ. just like how
today a rumour tends to grow and grow the more it is repeated, so
is the bible. does anyone really think god asked adam a question so
silly as "who ate the apple"?.. do you really believe moses got the
10 commandments from god when those commandments are just
10 of 41 principles of maat written several thousand years prior?

it goes on and on.........

i didn't infer any of that stuff you just posted. use common sense!!
it's oh so simple!!!

[edit on 13-2-2008 by last time here]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

I'm curious, let's see the proof.

The Black family of America during Slavery AND since the late 70's.
(Bill Cosby notwithstanding)

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
reply to post by jedimiller

Excuse me Jedi.....why did Adam allow Eve to eat the apple?

What is the meaning of "letting a woman talk for three hours"? Please tell me what authority has the power to "let" women talk.

I would also like to know what you based your attitude concerning how women think and react from.

You have stepped in a hornets nest in case you didn't realize it. Good luck to you Jedi.
The "hornets nest" is nothing more than people typing on a message board. Anyone who gets rilled up by strangers on the internet is deservant of what they get. Perhaps getting you going is exactly what Jedi wanted.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join