It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where in the bible does it say that women cant be ministers?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I saw this statement and was wondering if someone could point me in the right directions to see it for myself. I have a hard time believing it is in the Bible...Anyway can you help a brother out?

Kafer

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
1 Corinthians 14:34
"The women are to keep silent in the churches ; for they are not permitted to speak , but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says . "

[edit on 13-2-2008 by Leprekahn]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
At least that's what most christian organizations base that belief on.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
true. and that's because woman messed everything up for us. eating the apple. it's not that woman aren't smart, but they are too passionate and take things to heart. this does not make them appropiate to be pastors. because they would focus on personal beliefs and less on the bible. try letting a woman speak for 3 hours and you'd know what I mean.

Sorry girls. I love you!

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Oh Jesus, the things I could say about to this, but I won't other than to say just research....and as for Eve, she was deceived but Adam 'knew' what he was doing, so in the end (if you believe in the #tiest thing on earth called 'religion) 'man' is to blame.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Excuse me Jedi.....why did Adam allow Eve to eat the apple?

What is the meaning of "letting a woman talk for three hours"? Please tell me what authority has the power to "let" women talk.

I would also like to know what you based your attitude concerning how women think and react from.

You have stepped in a hornets nest in case you didn't realize it. Good luck to you Jedi.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I have no opinion about it really...well I am unsure about it for the most part. I find it odd that it says that women should keep quiet...Doesn't this go against the teachings of christianity? I mean aren't all christians supposed to preach and spread the word of their God? Women can't according to this. Am I just looking at it wrong?

And that is in the old testament right? So what does the new testament say about it?

because they would focus on personal beliefs and less on the bible. try letting a woman speak for 3 hours and you'd know what I mean.

I have to disagree here...I have met a lot of women that are very calculating and have a better grasp of issues than most men. I think the statement was written in a time and country when women were second class citizens and little more than property...but history shows that women have been great leaders.

the passage from the bible references "the law"...what law is this? Man's? If so then I have to call BS on the whole thing. Gods laws have nothing to do w/ man's laws. I mean where did this law come from? Is it stated in the Bible what this law is?

I am learning to do root cause analysis and finding the root of an issue can be applied to anything and most times it isn't what you may expect to find. I don't have enough biblical knowledge to do it but I am sure that there are those of you here that know the subject matter quite well.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Ahhh, ever heard of RUTH, ESTHER, DEBRA............it in the old part. The one Christ used....................

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Interesting I have no seen one this threads in a long time, Kaferwerks you are very smart this will bring you plenty of post if that is what you are looking for.

Remember that Christianity is after all one of two a religions that cement the role of men over women.

That is why women is relegated to second class citizens.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
hah, this doesn't look good, probably because ignorance is abound!

The apple HAD to be eaten for man to obtain any knowledge at all. No apple, no ATS, probably no you and me. It would have just been adam and eve forever, without need to procreate.

Apple = knowledge. If anything, Adam is the weaker of the two for being too scared to try something new. Women are amazing catalysts for change, and the driving force for just about any action men make, whether it's conscious or not.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I always said that it was not an apple what Eve ate she ate a darn banana

As the fruit had no seeds.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
1 Timothy 2:11-12

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

does that answer your question?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Actually it doesn't answer the question...that statement was made by whom and on whose authority?

What I really wanna know is it written in the Bibe that Jesus said that women cannot spread the word of God? I really don't know and haven't read enough of the Bible to know.

All I have to say about this is that w/o my Grandmother teaching me when I was a child that I probally never would have went to church...She was the reason I knew anything about God. My parents didn't teach me or talk to me about it...So according to those passages she had no right to do so? Again, I call BS on it...I believe again that those are mans' words and not God's

Ahhh, ever heard of RUTH, ESTHER, DEBRA............it in the old part. The one Christ used....................

The names are familiar but the story escapes me...It has been a very long time since I have even discussed such things much less read any Bible stories...Please enlighten me.

Like I said earlier...I don't have a lot of knowledge on this.

Thanks,

Kafer

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaferwerks
Actually it doesn't answer the question...that statement was made by whom and on whose authority?

well, it's in 1 Timothy...
so it's written by Saint Paul...so i guess he'd be writing under the authority of god..

What I really wanna know is it written in the Bibe that Jesus said that women cannot spread the word of God? I really don't know and haven't read enough of the Bible to know.

well...no, but jesus really doesn't say all that much in the bible. his teachings make up a slim portion of the book
...odd for a religion that's supposed to follow him, eh?

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Let me put emphasis here:

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
1 Timothy 2:11-12

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

Who does not permit? Sounds like Paul to me. Recall also this address was to a church that was going through a lot of division through gossip and power-play. What is written here is an address to Timothy (hence the name of the Book) regarding difficulties with their church. This is explained in the opening chapter, which is typically conveniently omitted in these kinds of discussions.

As mentioned before, there was a priestess and ruler in the Old Testament. Who is allowed to teach the Word of God? The one God elects to teach. Not mankind.

"Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." - Matthew 19:26

[edit on 13-2-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

So basically it the passage is saying that it is ok for women to teach but not in a church? Or am I understanding this wrong?

well...no, but jesus really doesn't say all that much in the bible. his teachings make up a slim portion of the book

That is rather interesting...

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

You should say,
"No apple, no evil, no pain, no tears."

The One thing they were told not to do and they messed it up for everybody!

Why do we want to know about evil when we had the Good?!!!

I personally won't go to a church where a woman preaches.
The bible forbids women from pastoring or usurping authority over men.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

wow again
..this guy is unreal. where do you get these beliefs? who teaches them to you? Im not trying to follow you man, but I can not resist but to tell you that you are full of it. Sorry

In my opinion, back in the day and in the early church they wanted to keep a thumb over women and what better way than to include it in the 'sacred book' and make doctrine out of it?

I understand that women talk a lot
! But I know plenty of them who are ten times smarter than I and should talk OVER the majority of small brained men. (mmm..mmm... cough..jedi...cough)

In fact the episcapalian version of Christianity includes women as pastors. The church where I was baptised had a woman pastor. I have to say she was one of the nicest/ smartest ladies I ever met and rightfully deserved the role as pastor.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I'm and honestly baffeled by this statement....

I personally won't go to a church where a woman preaches.

I understand personal pref and all but let's say it is a great church? I find it odd that people will find a piece of information and follow it to the letter (even if it is wrong) and blatantly ignore or violate others.

I haven't been to church in a loooong time but I have to say that I would go to a church that had a female pastor. Why not? I learned a lot from the women in my family that the men wouldn't talk about.

I mean am I missing something? Yes, I am a man. I fail to see the logic in the statements that women cant preach. It sounds a lot like a bunch of BS written by man...not God. They are good enough to teach their children about it but not speak to the masses? There is something wrong with that.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I've been to a lot of churches where women were preaching and they usually tried to ACT like a man. BESIDES violating scripture.
I'm a woman, BTW.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join