It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens If There Is A Tie In The US Elections?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Been watching the US Elections avidly and the exciting campaing in the Democrat camp between Obama and Clinton. What happens if those two are neck and neck and there is a tie/draw? How does the candidate get chosen? Do they settle it on the toss of a coin or what?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well i guess from the lack of replies nobody knows !!!

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There are a large number of Super Delegates that will determine the outcome. In fect if one or the other has more delegates going in, the superdelegates could decide for a candidate that has fewer "won" delegates to begin with.

Dems' 'super delegates' may decide the nominee
www.whittierdailynews.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
If after the primaries, there is no clear winner, then 800 odd super delegates will choose.

People from each side will try to get as many of those 800 votes they can. So plenty of favours being called in, if you know what i mean.

By the way florida and michigan has not been counted, i cannot see why clintons two wins there should not have delegates allocated because of those wins. Especially in flourida alot of people voted for clinton, so how can they not count them, i cannot see how if it is trying to project america is a democracy.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I suspect that the votes from Florida and Michigan will be counted. Can you see one party in the "home of democracy" as it is called, disinfranchsing such a large electorate.

I can see the lawyers making a fortune out of this if the votes are not included.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
Been watching the US Elections avidly and the exciting campaing in the Democrat camp between Obama and Clinton. What happens if those two are neck and neck and there is a tie/draw? How does the candidate get chosen? Do they settle it on the toss of a coin or what?

Interesting question, here is some information i found from a newly amended bill.

www.cga.ct.gov/2007/BA/2007SB-00540-R000473-BA.htm
(If above link doesn't work... CLICK HERE for the cached version.

The bill changes the procedure for resolving a tie vote in a primary between two or more candidates for statewide, legislative, or municipal office, or town committee, or slates of candidates for justice of the peace. If any such candidates or slates of candidates tie in a primary under current law, the secretary of the state or registrar of voters, depending on the office, chooses the nominee by drawing lots. Under the bill, the primary stands adjourned and a run-off primary between the candidates or slates of candidates who tied is held three weeks later.

I couldn't find out about a National primary. Only state ones, which indicates everyone votes again 3 weeks later, it continues to say that if that ties, then:

the secretary of the state or the registrar of voters, depending on the office, must choose the nominee by drawing lots

Your flipping a coin wasn't too far off lol...

Oh and in searching around, i found that because of the way the Super Delegates decide the votes (like others have mentioned) it appears as though it is only possible for a tie to occur if there are 3 candidates.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The " coin flip " idea is not so bad.....I think most Americans could relate to the coin flip far better than the Suoer- Delegate scam......

new topics

top topics

join