It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beatles space broadcast 'risks alien attack'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Beatles space broadcast 'risks alien attack'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Fears that malevolent aliens will tune into this week's broadcast of The Beatles' song "Across the Universe" have been voiced by scientists.
Nasa started to beam the song towards the North Star, 431 light years from Earth at midnight GMT on Monday, drawing congratulations from former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney and John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, who mused that it marked "the beginning of the new age in which we will communicate with billions of planets across the universe."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I agree, we have no idea what is out there, or maybe we do. It is to often with our government that the left hand does not know what the right is doing. Fo all we know this could lead to an invation, hello, look at us, we are weak and stupid with lots of resources and billions of potential slaves. I find it reckless to do such a thing like broadcast a has been song accross the galaxy. At least we did not broadcast howard stern, or for sure we would get attacked. Until we all know what we are dealing with out there, we should not make waves in the water. We infact are tiny little fish, could we defend ourselves from the shark, probably not, so why take the chance over something so stupid.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
not half as stupid as yoko's lame artwork,

how beaming a rather pleasent song across the galaxy thretens us in anyway i fail to understand

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
imagine you are on an island, living peacefully, now you are the top species on this island, top village or whatever, now you get arrogant in your nature, you make a giant fire to celebrate your island. But you have no idea of who lives on the other islands. Maybe your island was not to improtant, the other colonys payed no attention to this island. Now they see this fire, maybe they are friendly, or maybe pirates or a warlord looking for new slaves. I'm saying creating this fire is recklass and stupid, we have no idea what it could be, may be a simple stupid gesture, but it could not be. Would risking our civilization on a stupid beatles song be worth it. I can say maybe if our sun was going to super nova and it was a hope for rescue, then the chance would out wiegh the risk. But this is just stupid.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashwhy

not half as stupid as yoko's lame artwork,

how beaming a rather pleasent song across the galaxy thretens us in anyway i fail to understand

Do you think whatever is living out there thinks the same way that we do? We are so helpless when it comes to anything that doesn't involve being on land on Earth. Who knows what is out there, but chances are 'they' are more intelligent and advanced then we are. 'Dont wake the sleeping Giants' (no superbowl pun intended)

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I agree to some point that doing this may be a bad idea. We dont know what is out there, and what their intentions would be. Sometimes it is better to remain silent then speak.

However it would just be an occasion to tell my wife I was right about life out there somewhere. As the death rays came down, I would be able to say, see I told you, and then I would really get the final word.

I disagree that a beatles song is ever, a has been song, their music never goes out of style. I think instead of a beatles song, you know a band that promoted love and peace, we should have broadcast Pantera or something. Maybe if that got there they would think, holy sh!t we arent messing with them, way too angry.

It will be interesting to keep an eye on this, thanks for the post.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
pfff we have been sending noise in the universe ever since we invented radio.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
many believe now the the radio waves fade out within a light year or 2, but to direct a intense beam into space, unsure of distance it could travel, unsure of what message it could send. Maybe there are peaceful alliances out there, maybe it hell on earth and war all around, or a bit of both. We have no idea. Like a little aquarium fish going to explore the waters of the ocean, we might survive and maybe see no one, but there are extreme dangers lurking, just where in the ocean are we. Sorry about the metaphors but seems like a great wasy to show a point.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunner36
I think instead of a beatles song, you know a band that promoted love and peace, we should have broadcast Pantera or something. Maybe if that got there they would think, holy sh!t we arent messing with them, way too angry.

Funny. In that vein if we had broadcast old soviet propaganda music they might assume that were are all minions of a cruel militaristic overlord and stay away. Wait isn't that true already?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Next will be album release, the white one, bit of sgt pepper, who knows maybe rita the traffic warden becomes a universal success, or our fellow aliens learn the meaning of who the tax man really is, just dont really understand the point what does it prove anyway and why the beatles, why not led zep, or eric clapton or bono and his mates..confused

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kr0n1ck405
many believe now the the radio waves fade out within a light year or 2, but to direct a intense beam into space, unsure of distance it could travel, unsure of what message it could send. Maybe there are peaceful alliances out there, maybe it hell on earth and war all around, or a bit of both. We have no idea. Like a little aquarium fish going to explore the waters of the ocean, we might survive and maybe see no one, but there are extreme dangers lurking, just where in the ocean are we. Sorry about the metaphors but seems like a great wasy to show a point.

I can see it now, an intense interstellar battle between alien races, then during the immense battle, their space ships pick up this song! Then they all stop to hug each other.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
now if they broadcast a bush presidental address they would concider us easy targets and retards. Non the less, it is obvious that SETI cant find # out there, maybe theres a reason for that, yell in a tunnel long enough and someone will find you.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kr0n1ck405
now if they broadcast a bush presidental address they would concider us easy targets and retards. Non the less, it is obvious that SETI cant find # out there, maybe theres a reason for that, yell in a tunnel long enough and someone will find you.

I believe they said it would take nearly 450 years to reach said target.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
What's this fuss all about? We have been sending signals since the invention of radio troughout the galaxy. Some were intended and a lot weren't.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I really hope that our first communications with alien life don't come from that of a stupid beetles song. Aliens might not even understand what music is - let alone analogies, metaphors, etc. They'd probably wonder why the Hell we're blasting a bunch of nonsensical words into their world. I might attack us, too.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
but there is alot in between, now will it be a straight been, and why the north star, what is the importance. Stupidity aside and song titles, the fact of the matter is if the beatles do this, who says a few more wont want the media spot light and do simular things, maybe more powerful broadcast, aho knows. I do not want to be a slave or attract unwanted attention. Maybe we are already in a space alliance and there is no worries, but until full government discloser of what we are into and what is out there and who is good and bad, we can not take stupid risks. If you where running around in north korea, would you broadcast hopes of democracy and peace on the airwaves if you where a citizen. The idea is noble but unless you want to rot in a prison, not a good idea. There are better ways of doing things, as i said before if thebenifits outweigh therisks than it is worth it. We neither can afford it or could prevent anything from happening if we even seen it coming. Send up our shuttle fleet, will slap them with the canada arm and they will get on hell of a bitch slappn. Maybe we could install pea shooter on them. Dont think we could defend to well, unless we got photon torpedos and phasers on back order, i think we would be screwed.

top topics

join