It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myprofile Posts Button Gone?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sys_Config
As an example the one called Doghead ( Profile him )posted over 700 posts in a little over a month..now I post pretty decent here since last June..and he did what I did in 1/6 the time since dec30.

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Ooooh! 18.37 messages per day! That's insane!

Source

Just noticed something thanks to the two of you that might help. Scroll down on the page Beachcoma posted to "Other Options." Immediately under the Headline it says "Search for all posts" by this ATS member. So it seems we can still look through people's post list that way... at least until a site owner reads this comment and possibly disables that button, too. In that case, this comment from me is really no help at all.

But about Doghead. Maybe there is nothing sinister going on- maybe he just has no life. I've only been here a little over two months and have over 1,000 comments but I have no agenda- just lack a life and any sort of connection with the outside world.
Don't jump to conclusions. He seems pretty nice a good contributor. Of course we don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

[edit on 2/11/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The only conspiracy here is that you will have to flag it then you can still find it.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

You can flag it, subscribe to it, or reply to it then look at the menu in your "MY ATS" area to see all the threads in order they received a reply.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Option is gone. That was quick.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Tells me there is more to this than a code glitch or server overload. Not too many members could have been using that route. Maybe a vulnerability issue?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbluesky

Speculating here, but it could be to prevent further overload. That was an old route, before the code updated. Apparently the old code wasn't as streamlined.

IMPORTANT: New Board Code Update: Thread Display

I just kept the link to the old profile in the bookmark because it had the post per day counter. May be handy in certain situations... plus I'm an internet bookmark pack-rat.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by Beachcoma]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I agree, SO agrees, we all agree, it's a valuable tool, we all want it back.

For the time being I recommend you use the Google search box at the top of every page. Just type in the members name and whatever text you are looking for.

Thank you for responding ! I'm glad to hear it's being worked on. You guys do a great job running this site !!!!! Keep up the awesome job !!!!!!!!!!!

Also,
could you tell me how to find the skunk works area? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The re-coding of the member posts query is going to take longer than I thought.

In a nut-shell, the issue is this...

1) We're a very busy site, and more than 95% of all page loads are for dynamic content fed by the database. We average more than 1,200 queries a second for a 24 hour period, and peak over 2,000 during busy times.

2) The database is HUGE, and searching for all posts authored by one member within this HUGE database takes time, the more posts from a member, the more time it takes.

3) When queries take too long, the potential exists for all pending queries also take longer or be delayed... thus introducing a cascade effect of ever longer query times... slowing down the entire board.

The solution may take longer than I expected as several attempts to recode the query aren't resulting in faster performance.

More updates as I have them.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I was being sarcastic to the funny side of the whole thing
after all if we dont keep our senses of humor over the small stuff, we wont stand a chance on the biggies! Ty for your concern though.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Thanks for trying to get one of the most valuable tools (not the most, but up there) on the board.

I reserved flags, not for just things I post in, but usually for more interesting or important subjects ... as it is suggested to use that feature for.

I never subscribed to threads unless I didn't plan on posting in them, since, I could check my past posts and look back through threads I have posted in, looking at the time of my post and jumping through the thread to get to that spot and continue on.

I could re-program myself, but I don't want to flag things unnecessarily ... so I suppose the subscribing thing will have to become more of use now!
as well as the MyATS, which I honestly hardly ever use.

Could a solution be having a set amount of results per page, say, 10-20 ... then you can go through them as we do threads? I would think that could lessen the load a bit.

Do you use, could an indexing server be used to make access and locating much easier/faster? Don't know if it would, but, it would seem if the location was known to a separate server, there would be less searching and more grabbing of info. I could be thinking of this wrong since I never dealt with servers

Too bad the community cannot put their heads together to be of more help in solving the problem.

It would have been a great thing for the coming up ATS debates to use the posts feature. Looks like a little more work will be required

Good luck on the coding, and hope to see it get worked out soon.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
Thank you for responding ! I'm glad to hear it's being worked on. You guys do a great job running this site !!!!! Keep up the awesome job !!!!!!!!!!!

Also,
could you tell me how to find the skunk works area? Thanks.

Hey thanks bud, there are sure a lot of really good people behind the scenes of ATS. It's an honor being in their ranks.

SW forum can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I am one of the members of ATS who very much enjoys the "priviledge" of membership. Although it has been mentioned a couple of times that those who don't like something can hit the road, as if we are all expendable let's keep in mind the users and the staff are an orchestra of sorts that make this site great. If all the people who think for themselves are ran off I don't think that ATS will remain great, unless you figure mainstream shallow propaganda is what the public wants from the site.

It is not "wise" to post this if I am wanting favor from the people who run the site. I would like for them to like me, but not at the expense of not saying what is on my mind.

I am also not one to put my neck out there to get chopped, yet I also don't like playing games and being twofaced about my feelings.

Maybe this shouldn't be said here, but on the other hand most of the major active members are aware anyway.

There was a problem involving John Lear and another poster on Monday, and Yes, John Lear has posted a letter to fellow ATS members on his Peguses website denying what the official story was about his affiliation with ATS. He claims he did not choose to leave. It matters not to me who's on first, but I do expect the truth and one of the two sides isn't telling it. I choose this as my home site, not Peguses, yet I still like to Deny Ignorance. (ATS, you created a monster!)

This is no secret and many of us have been linked to the letter, myself not being a Lear fan since he once early on in his stay laughed off something I said as "menapause" am not a fan, I am not into chauvinistic men, yet I happen to believe that the missing post button has something to do with research being denied until things are straightened out.

I may well be wrong. Sometimes I am. But this is what I think and it is still a website that is basically uncensored if you stay within the T&C, which I believe I have, but when I see an elephant in the living room I am going to say "Hey, did you see that elephant in the living room?"

MODERATOR-NOTE: Please stay on topic. The topic of this thread is "Myprofile Posts Button Gone?"

Thank you.

Mod Note: Repeat Topics – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by Skyfloating]

Edited to remove some of the more off topic statements.

Moderator Note accepted and understood.

Thank you.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by interestedalways]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for doing you best bill.

I feel its essential to have this function.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I'm exited for the posts button to come back. Well I hope it comes back!

Keep up the good work.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
While I am not trying to stir up trouble, Can we get The 3 Amigos to please confirm or deny publicly right here on ATS in this thread weather or not the removal of the posts button/feature has anything to do with what is going on with John Lear? After all, we all are here to "Deny Ignorance". Let us put this particular theory to bed one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Why would it have anything to do with John Lear?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I haven't the vaguest clue SO...Some folks seem to think it has something to do with "hiding" some posts that have to do with the whole Recent Lear fiasco..
*shrug*

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
A straight answer would have been much more reassuring Bill.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyknockers
A straight answer would have been much more reassuring Bill.

I'm confused, what's not "straight" about this.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Why would it have anything to do with John Lear?

I think he means the above. While it is a comment, it does not deny nor confirm absolutely that the removal of the posts feature was directly linked/due to the ongoing John Lear Incident of Monday, January 28, 2008.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by WhiteWash]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join