It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“The inner life of the cell”: an amazing 3D animated conception from Harvard

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
A fascinating view of a cell from the inside animated by John Liebler, and based on conception and scientific content by Alain Vail and Robert A. Lue;

Video link

Imagine, that’s the simple stuff of life, just the gears turning.

edit:link formatting

[edit on 8-2-2008 by iskander]

[edit on 8/2/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
OMG! That's awesome! I starred both of you, flagged the thread and subscribed - think I covered all my bases. LOL!

I have just returned to college to pursue my Master of Environmental Science - which is a HUGE change in direction for me. Since my last biology class was in 10th grade high school (and we won't talk about how long ago that was O_O ) I'm starting with just a General Biology class and lab to get my feet wet.

This animation is amazing to watch just from the short amount of time that I've been studying the various organelles and their functions. I am going to come back to it OFTEN as I learn more, so that I can identify more and more what is taking place in this.

Very neat...and I love the choice of music! :UP:

[edit on 2-8-2008 by Valhall]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
tHAT IS JUST AMAZING.

I serioulsy cant believe how complicated the human body is. Let alone single cells.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I know people hate it when religion comes into stuff like this lol, well it's not, all I'm saying is, how can you deny an intelligent designer when such a small cell is so complicated as that, just one tiny tiny cell.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Phoenix,

While I view it the same as you...as a microscopic continuous miracle...I'll buffer you for why others can, in fact, view it without Divine Intervention.

EVERYTHING you see in that is one chemical reaction after another. It's just one chemical molecule interacting with another chemical molecule - constantly. Creating this endless, beautiful ballet called metabolism.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Phoenix,

While I view it the same as you...as a microscopic continuous miracle...I'll buffer you for why others can, in fact, view it without Divine Intervention.

EVERYTHING you see in that is one chemical reaction after another. It's just one chemical molecule interacting with another chemical molecule - constantly. Creating this endless, beautiful ballet called metabolism.

Yeah we do truly know that it is amazing anyway.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
They always say that were just a spec compared to the universe, but that video kinda makes you feel gigantic. Haha nice post thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
That is simply breathtaking!

I watched it three times and each time it just blew me away. WOW!!

Thank you to iskander and bluess.
A star for each of you and thread flagged. Damn!, we really need an applause smiley in here

[edit on 8-2-2008 by Dagar]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I know people hate it when religion comes into stuff like this lol, well it's not, all I'm saying is, how can you deny an intelligent designer when such a small cell is so complicated as that, just one tiny tiny cell.

That has an easy answer - Evolution. Start out with a *very* simple organisme, and then make everything a tad more complex at each step up through generations.
Really, if you got an education in this field, its actually quite clear IMHO.

Looking at the movie itself, it is very beautiful (Especially with the colors and music)! But I would like to say that it is a very simplified version of a cell.. Most processes that they show is handled by a multitude of large protein complexes. And on top of that, there is nowhere near the ratio of water:protein they show.
But I find it particularly cool that they show real 3D versions of crystallographed proteins!

One holds a special place for me:

I wrote a paper on 2 variants of that motor protein for my Bachelor project at the university, and got an A.
(Actually a 13, but I don't know how well known the 13-scale is internationally)

[edit on 8/2/08 by Thain Esh Kelch]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I like the way one of the object seemed to have legs lol. It looked kinda funny and cool.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Thain Esh Kelch

Yeah whatever your belief we can't deny it's amazing.

So your saying that in real life a cell is even more complicated than it appears in the video?

[edit on 8-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Thats almost psychedelic!

Really neat to see those tiny strands and fibers fomr themselves from free-flaoting matter

good find, flag and star.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Amazing! Absolutly amazing! To think that so mush activity takes place in such a tiny thing...mind blowing! Starred and flagged!

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The animation of this cell is a fantastic way to teach complicated scientific processes. I have had plenty of biology courses and I still can't remember the names of alot of what I learned. I did have fun searching for my favorite, the mitochondria. The animation sequence reminds me of how much fantastic complexity makes up existence. Consciousness is amazing.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It's mind-blowing how many different processes are simultaniously happening within the body, even on a cellular basis.

I don't think that is all happening in a cell though, at the beginning and end you can see the bloodstream. The DNA was pretty amazing though.

To imagine that such a microcosm is taking place even in plants that appear to be "doing nothing".... wow.

Organized chaos. It's really surprising how few mutations actually occur with all of that stuff going on.

[edit on 2/8/2008 by Yarcofin]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Thain Esh Kelch

Do you mean there is more water than is shown in the video?
Also, fo you care to share how that motor works? I'm curious.

Many thanks.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This was the coolest thing I have ever seen!

I'm speechless!

How the heck does this happen?

I'm so amazed!

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
How the heck does this happen?

Let's wait for the expert on this thread to asnwer that, I asked the same question. It's a "motor protein".

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Fake.

How do I know all of this is real?

I'd say it's probably 15% accurate, but that's just my guess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join