It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: The internet needs to be dealt with as if it were an "enemy weapons system"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Pentagon: The internet needs to be dealt with as if it were an "enemy weapons system"

www.globalresearch.ca

The Pentagon's Information Operations Roadmap is blunt about the fact that an internet, with the potential for free speech, is in direct opposition to their goals. The internet needs to be dealt with as if it were an enemy "weapons system".

The 2003 Pentagon document entitled the Information Operation Roadmap was released to the public after a Freedom of Information Request by the National Security Archive at George Washington University in 2006. A detailed explanation of the major thrust of this document and the significance of information operations or information warfare was described by me here.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Get ready for more regulations and spying. We are under attack all right, but it's not from foreign combatants, but our own gov. We will see more and more people being arrested in the coming times for internet conversations and 'percieved threats' IMO. We are headed for a total police state.

www.globalresearch.ca

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
well this is just fantastic...

come hell or high water, 'they' are gonna try their hardest to regulate the content. internet v2.0 fascism on the way......fascist.net

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Article continues:

Computer Network Attack

From the Information Operation Roadmap:

"When implemented the recommendations of this report will effectively jumpstart a rapid improvement of CNA [Computer Network Attack] capability." - 7

"Enhanced IO [information operations] capabilities for the warfighter, including: ... A robust offensive suite of capabilities to include full-range electronic and computer network attack..." [emphasis mine] - 7
Would the Pentagon use its computer network attack capabilities on the Internet?

Fighting the Net

"We Must Fight the Net. DoD [Department of Defense] is building an information-centric force. Networks are increasingly the operational center of gravity, and the Department must be prepared to "fight the net." " [emphasis mine] - 6

[Mod Edit: External quote tags and quote trimmed. Thank you - Jak]

[edit on 3/2/08 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
That was expectable. I and certainly other people have thought the freedom of information, and how dangerous it can be to sitting governments. I bet they are already sending their "soldiers" into the net to fight with both info and disinfo, whichever suits their case.

It is concerning tho. Truth is always the first casualty in war.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
WE havnt been attacked since the civil war.

9/11 was most likly done by bush. even if it was saudi's I still wouldnt call that a attack.

Its always been our governments attacking us constantly.

The funniest is bushes approval of 40 million budget for refurbishing FEMA camps.

im paraphrasing but he said Im aproving these funds to remeber when america turned on its citezens during a time of ww2 when we jailed innocent japan citezens.

Now if you were really sorry you would bull doze them not approve a 40 million refurbish program.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Full-spectrum warfare. Game on. Thank you for posting this. I will point it out to my friends. Information warfare is everyone's battle chan t now that war has been declared by whom? LOL. Like that. Mint, count me in. F&S'd.

Vic

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOmaskedman
WE havnt been attacked since the civil war.

I think that the thousands who died or were wounded at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 might disagree with you.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the post, OP. Interesting and scary stuff.

BUT...as I was reading the postings and feeling that usual tightening in my gut that comes whenever I read about our government slicing away at our liberties, I had to pause.

You see, the Internet is home to so many things. From it, potentially, you can hack into just about anywhere. Granted, the common folk, like me, don't know the first thing about hacking. Sometimes I forget my own passwords and can't even get into my own accounts, let alone someone else's.

But because so much data and essential functions of our society can be accessed through the Internet, we do need security. The Internet could be used as a weapon against us. Therefore, it does require policing.

Just because we don't trust those suggesting the methods of said policing, doesn't invalidate the argument. Nor does it, necessarily, threaten to take away our voice.

No police force or national army need be our enemy. It's those running the unit that create the potential for harm.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AJ Lavender

You'll have to forgive me for being wrong, but I think that your view that it needs "policing" stems from a lack of understanding of how the internet really works. It's basically just a bunch of servers (a computer you connect to) and clients (computers that connect to a server.) In this example, ATS's computer is the server, and your computer (and mine) is a client.

Basically, to connect to a server, you need an IP address and a port (ATS being run on port 80 like most websites, I think?). The IP address is the number assigned by the ISP - say, 24.189.285.257. A port is basically a way for one computer (think of it like a phone call) to have multiple connections - it separates them, so that one can connect on port 80 and another can connect on port 81.

The thing is, that you can only connect to a computer running some kind of server. That's why it's hard for your computer to be hacked - there aren't many things that your computer will respond to. Which is why hacking relies on mistakes - vulnerabilities. To help cover these, a router and firewall can regulate just what connects to your computer.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Get ready for more regulations and spying. We are under attack all right, but it's not from foreign combatants, but our own gov.

www.globalresearch.ca

A point your missing.

Anyone using the internet outside of America would be classed as a foreign combatant according to your statement.
People often forget that most issues here on ATS do not just affect America.

It's not my government or my country yet I am angry that any foreign government decides that it is in their best interest to control and monitor free speech.

Anyone wo tells me what I can and can't say is in for a rough time. Yes, there are rules for such here on ATS, but I'm in general agreement with the majority or else I would not be posting here. The regulations set aside in ATS are by no means as harsh as what a pentagon run internet would be.

Most of us here would be arrested for speaking our minds due to the content of our topics and our expressed thoughts and opinions.

I am not going to be put into a prison or held against my will just because some fascist ideals decide that my voice is too dissident for their liking.

it's like being made a slave and made to feel thankful for it.

Pentagon police the internet...not a chance. It will be from the work of hackers and other free people who would bring a stop to that. Too rightly as well. So sign me up for lessons...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Clearly the USA's military-industrial complex is the genuine enemy that needs to be systematically dismantled and its managers imprisoned for life.

US Americans in general have become afraid of the Pentagon as well as Homeland Security, and that is the clearest sign that the USA is in mid-shift from a Republic to a Fascist Security State.

The freedom and liberty of the internet must be maintained. The goals of the military-industrial complex and mafia families like the Bushes and Rockefellers need to be utterly smashed to bits.

Life. Liberty. Pursuit of Happiness.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Oh I certainly agree with you on all accounts. These people's number 1 agenda is to not only dominate and control their own people, but the entire world. It is truly alarming.

It's just extra frustrating living in the country WHO SPAWNS these control freaks.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well, lets be fair and reasonable here. Hackers (especially in communist china) do play a major role in hacking US systems. And if we are to believe Gary Mckinnons claims as well...it is a problem that needs to be dealt with. People are using the internet (which america invented, and is the sole operator of) to try and hurt the US.

Lets not forget what the internet was developed for either. It was originally developed for the militarys use.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AJ Lavender

Yes, we non-US citizen netizens declared as "combatants"... "we do need security" from the Pentagon of the USA. Who gives policy guidance to those in the Pentagon that would see the internet as a property of desirable conquest? Hmmm?

IMHO "they" are "THE" enemy or rather their "masters" truly are, der Pentagon is just a political lapdog and delivery person of whom? LOL. Yup, tough deal; being a US citizen, tougher to be Iraqi. 'Merica jus' made a whole nuther bunch of new "friends" today.

Vic

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast
Well, lets be fair and reasonable here. Hackers (especially in communist china) do play a major role in hacking US systems. And if we are to believe Gary Mckinnons claims as well...it is a problem that needs to be dealt with. People are using the internet (which america invented, and is the sole operator of) to try and hurt the US.

Lets not forget what the internet was developed for either. It was originally developed for the militarys use.

yes Gary Mckinnon hacked into nasa. personally i dont see it as hacking, they didn't even have their computers password protected,according to his story. which is believable IMO. the government upgrading the security on their own systems is one thing, but treating the internet as an enemy is quite a bit overzealous. the thing about computers is, you're never 100% safe. The best thing you can do is take steps to protect yourself and if someone messes with your hardware oh well, you knew that risk when you connected to the world wide web, and if you didn't you were horribly naive. if this goes ahead and the government cracksdown on freethought, which is a possiblity i fully support dissention of netizens.....
i suppose it remains to be seen what will come of this.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
In a way, the Internet could have just been a weapon developed by the government itself, probably if anything the CIA.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
I am not going to be put into a prison or held against my will just because some fascist ideals decide that my voice is too dissident for their liking.

If I had room in my signature, this would be added. Exactly my feelings.

apc

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This was posted in 2006 as well. www.abovetopsecret.com...

If they've started firing artillery at the Internet, I haven't noticed.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

Good point, I actually gave you star. I really too rarely get a chance to give you stars

While you were absolutely correct about it's origins, that it was indeed developed to withstand if few or many physical servers were bombed down. We also need to remember that it is currently used in far many more applications than just military ones, as we all know.

Besides, www was invented in Switzerland, by Tim Berners-Lee. United States did invent the the physical equipment (the net) for internet, but Berners-Lee and his colleagues invented content for the internet. And it was widely used by scholars as a way to exchange information between vast distances.

I guess modern military networks can be excluded from internet, just because mere risk of hacking. I think that modern military networks are proofed by way or another to withstand hacking via internet. If this is true, the need for internet warfare is just another bogus. I could be wrong also.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join