It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montel Williams stands up for the troops, and then gets cancelled.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
From www.dailykos.com...

For just over three minutes on Saturday morning, TV talk show host Montel Williams owned the hosts of Fox and Friends. A former Marine and Naval officer, Montel lectured the stunned hosts on the stupidity of spending air time on the death of Heath Ledger, rather than covering the war in Iraq. It was a spectacle rarely seen on live cable television, as Montel exposed and condemned both tabloid "news" shows and much of American culture for what they have each become: shallow and greedy.

Three minutes into this awkward segment on Fox, one host cut off Montel in order to go to a commercial. Montel did not return after the break. Four days later, after 17 years as a television host, Montel lost his job.

And here's the video:

www.youtube.com...

There is speculation that Montel knew that the ax was coming and figured he had nothing to lose and just let loose on a topic obviously near and dear to him.

Others suggest that the red phone under the bell jar at Fox News started glowing red and bleeding:
(Bzzzzz! "Mr. Murdoch is on line one.")
and just like that Montel's show was gone.

Although I've never been an avid watcher of Montel Williams (Sylvia Brown has a way of making me dry heave) I do respect the man for his military service, his foundation work, and in general he seems like a decent human being. After watching this I want to go out and buy his book.

I considered encouraging people to write letters to Fox News to complain but I don't want Rupert's people knowing where I live.

BIG
for Montel!

And status quo for Fox News.....

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Comma8Comma1

I am not sure how accurate this is. It is true that Fox owned channels did not pick his show back up but his show wasn't owned by Fox, so they did not cancel him. Most of the articles I have read, insinuate that he was leaving of his own accord. I am not saying it is fact but the article I read on Yahoo news left that impression. It may also be related to his health.

However, I applaud him for speaking his piece. If only more people would do the same, maybe we could try and get back on track. Though the cynic in me doubts is. It isn't like a large portion of the population do not feel the same way as Montel, I think people just accept the status quo of it all, which is sad.

Thanks for the video, because I had not seem it yet.

~B

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bobafett1972

I'm leaning more towards him knowing about his shows' demise and figuring this could be a last shot at making a statement (in addition to his long battle with MS) but I just had to give the guy some credit for saying what he did.

My favorite quote:

If I know about Heath, I wanna know about the troop.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I completely agree with Montel. I loved his response regarding the 'feeding the beast' question. "Cart before the horse, horse before the cart, I don't know who drives it." We know very well who drives it. The public is led to give attention to certain stories. If it's a story that's reported, they'll pay attention. If it's not reported, they won't know about it. Sad, indeed.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
i just loved montel and all the wonderful things he did on his show.. how dare he be cancelled after 17 amazing years.. he was truly caring and upstanding and he spoke out for many things and helped so many people.. i condemn fox for firing him for standing up for the troops and speaking the truth.. yeah the death of a movie star was tragic but what about the deaths of the thousands who died in iraq doing their job? are they less tragic because they are unknown to the masses? it is my belief that the media does not care because it does not bring in ratings or sell magazines.. we are at war but lindsey lohan getting drunk at a bar sells.. the troops are sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers.. they are something to someone but their sacrafice should be everything to everyone and God bless Montel for speaking out for them.. for that action by him, i hope to see him back in the public maybe even in government to try and change things..

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
i just loved montel and all the wonderful things he did on his show.. how dare he be cancelled after 17 amazing years.. he was truly caring and upstanding and he spoke out for many things and helped so many people.. i condemn fox for firing him for standing up for the troops and speaking the truth.. yeah the death of a movie star was tragic but what about the deaths of the thousands who died in iraq doing their job? are they less tragic because they are unknown to the masses? it is my belief that the media does not care because it does not bring in ratings or sell magazines.. we are at war but lindsey lohan getting drunk at a bar sells.. the troops are sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers.. they are something to someone but their sacrafice should be everything to everyone and God bless Montel for speaking out for them.. for that action by him, i hope to see him back in the public maybe even in government to try and change things..

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I hadn't heard anything about this until now. Montel's show as about the only decent day time talk show left on TV. I agree with what he said a 100%, I haven't been able to stomach watching network news for years now.

top topics

join