It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pioneering Blackwater Protesters Given Secret Trial and Criminal Conviction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Pioneering Blackwater Protesters Given Secret Trial and Criminal Conviction

www.blacklistednews.com

Last week in Currituck County, N.C., Superior Court Judge Russell Duke presided over the final step in securing the first criminal conviction stemming from the deadly actions of Blackwater Worldwide, the Bush administration's favorite mercenary company. Lest you think you missed some earth-shifting, breaking news, hold on a moment. The "criminals" in question were not the armed thugs who gunned down 17 Iraqi civilians and wounded more than 20 others in Baghdad's Nisour Square last September. They were seven nonviolent activists who had the audacity to stage a demonstration at the gates of Blackwater's 7,000-acre private military base in North Carolina to protest the actions of mercenaries acting with impunity -- and apparent immunity -- in their names and those of every American.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.alternet.org

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I guess it is all about who you know in this country. How do the real Blackwater mercs get immunity and protesters get jail time? Just doesn't make sense and it makes me sick.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
There's a video on the net somewhere of when these guys were getting arrested, I thought I had started a thread on here somewhere about it when it happened, but I can't seem to find it so maybe not. Looked like a peaceful protest from what I saw of the video, but they were rounded up nonetheless and hauled off without being told what they were being charged with. I had nearly forgotten about them, thanks for posting the update.
Secret Trial?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Once again I am glad that the dark side of patriotism is being exposed.

However, my sympathies are not entirely with the protesters. They appear to be in fact guilty of the crimes they were charged with. Regardless of any criminality perpetrated by Blackwater, these protesters had broken the law. I am not saying that Blackwater should not be investigated, but this is not a defense for their actions. The trial was not a forum to express their political views, regardless of whatever truth they believe.

It's sort of like the old useless defense when you get a speeding ticket. You can't get out of it by reminding the cop that there are murderers and rapists walking the streets while he is there writing you this ticket.

Having said all of that, I am glad that these protesters did stage their particularly poignant protest.

I would also like to know how charges could in fact be leveled against American perpetrators of war crimes.

Lastly, I am quite concerned about the fact that this trial was held behind closed doors, though this practice is not unheard of when a judge is trying to avoid disruption in the court room so that the facts may be presented. Were the defendants' attorneys present?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Also posted in Breaking Alt News
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Blackwater has killed unarmed Iraqi citizens. Blackwater has been granted immunity from prosecution by the US government. Blackwater employees have been reported to be on steroids. Wow where do you go from there?
Murder, Immunity and Steroids.

It’s a travesty that protestors should be prosecuted and murderers go unprosecuted, but that is what the US has come to.

Don’t get out of line people. Don’t rock the boat. Shut up and sing or dance or whatever it is you do. You could write your congress person and you’ll get a nice little note back
Thanking you for your concern they’ll get right on it.

This is just another symptom of the disease the US suffers from. Typically Americans believe we are the only people on earth that matter. We should keep our inordinate share of the world’s resources. Invade and possess Middle Eastern resources and generally lead the high life while others suffer and die. Now that’s Christianity for you.

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread312013/pg1

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Blackwater should be held accountable for its actions here and overseas but that has nothing to do with the protesters arrests and convictions. The protesters did break the law and should have been held accountable like they were. The article is trying to spin this and use emotions to try and make it seem more connected than it is.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Blackwater will be killing unarmed Americans soon enough, too.

They are the core component of a Dominionist army waiting in the wings.

Their purpose is to subvert American democracy, Iraq is simply a way to make money in the meantime.

Look into founder Erik Prince's links to various extremist right wing fundamentalist groups.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Hi Palehorse,
I had also posted this story here: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Don't care which thread is kept, or both, as long as the word is out.

edit: oops, i see khunmoon already added a pointer. would be nice if comments could be merged.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by lifestudent]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I've been raising hell about these thugs since I became a member here.
Anyone remember the other Private Armies that were allowed to grow, get out of control and be immune from State Laws?
One started out as Hitlers personal bodyguards, the SS and the other one was Rhomes, the SA.

After Katrina hit NOLA some of the rich hired blackwater to protect their personal homes, which is fine with me but before it was over with, they were patrolling the streets, knocking down doors and taking peoples guns out of their homes.
Wheres the outcry? whats the law that allows this private company to enter another persons home using force and steel their property?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
don't forget how they recruit and hire their own protestors to contain a situation

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
the stolen enemy info from past war and hidden info was a private funded and publically corrupted takeover attempt on a world scale......the killings were made to look like drowning......anyone with weapons was executed by the black op private funded planned event......trace the money....you'll find document forgers too.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Well Kronos, when you are the government's personal merc company, you are above the law. It must be written in the contract somewhere I'm sure.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Blackwater should not have immunity and that much is clear. That does not change the fact that if the protesters broke the law they should not be immune either. Those are two separate issues.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The protesters drove a small gray station wagon, covered with simulated bullet holes and smeared with red paint, onto Blackwater’s property. One lay back in the driver’s seat and five others got out and lay on the ground, as if they had been shot.

The scene was intended to mimic that in Baghdad’s Nisour Square, where an Iraqi doctor and her son died in a fusillade of gunfire as their car approached a Blackwater diplomatic convoy.

The protesters also smeared red handprints on two Blackwater signs.

Currituck County sheriff’s deputies, called to the scene by Blackwater guards, told the protesters they were on private property and asked them to leave. When they didn’t respond, they were handcuffed and placed in a sheriff’s van. Some went limp and had to be dragged.

Article Link

When will people learn that breaking the law is the exact wrong way to accomplish change. This appears to be at the least, Criminal Trespass, Destruction of Private Property and resisting arrest. This only drives average people AWAY FROM their cause.

They will get a slap on the wrist and a fine I'd guess.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Meh. Clever political theater, it's not like they tried to burn the place down or something

The point of civil disobedience is to get arrested.

What's weird about it is the judge's bizarre theatrics & questionable suspension of normal legal procedures during the trial.

This is not some kind of terrorism case where US intellegence might be compromised or something.

So why the secrecy?

I have my concerns that this judge is in Blackwater's pocket, or in the pocket of one of it's shadowy backers in Washington...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Naomi Wolf on blackwater and more.

Apparently blackwater received a billion dollar contract to operate within US Borders.

These are dangerous nazi like situations.

nl.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Abovetech, thanks for posting the link to the video. It was EXCELLENT. I highly suggest to everyone that they read Naomi Wolfe's book, The End of America.
On topic: The protesters didn't create any kind of scene at the courtroom. They were asked theological questions by the judge (which is weird).
They trespassed on private property and put handprints on two signs. Compare this with all of the horror of Blackwater, killing civilians, etc.
My point is that I think there comes a time when civil disobedience is called for. Our democracy (what is left in it) is in dire straits. Peaceful protest hasn't worked. Writing to our Congressman hasn't worked. That's when you take it up to the next higher level.

I think these protesters are very brave and courageous for what they did. They were trying to call attention to the evils of Blackwater. To the people who are critical of the protesters: Do YOU have enough courge to take up this struggle to regain our democratic rights? If you had lived in early Nazi Germany and saw what was coming, would you have fought for your country or would you have done nothing but wring your hands?

new topics

top topics

join