It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Policy Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
What is the official policy of ATS regarding Clans and the like? Can we say form a of group of members with similar avatars or something and focus on a certain topic?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This quote from the T & C might be helpful:

2d.) Forum Gangs: You will not engaged in an organized collaboration with other members to disrupt thread topics or interrupt the flow of normal collaborative discussion. Doing so will result in immediate termination of posting privileges.

ATS - Terms and Conditions of use

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
This quote from the T & C might be helpful:

2d.) Forum Gangs: You will not engaged in an organized collaboration with other members to disrupt thread topics or interrupt the flow of normal collaborative discussion. Doing so will result in immediate termination of posting privileges.

ATS - Terms and Conditions of use

Well now that's clear as mud.... yes/no ?? lol

because 'interrupt the flow of normal collaborative discussion' ...

what is normal? .. some SINGLE posters (although they may be married or dating lol) but even they can cause a disruption ...

there are two rules here I do not agree with ...
which is "gangs" .. or groups.. gang is a nasty word..
and
the no drug thing..
I mean so much for denying ignorance.. I dunno seems counter-productive.

as far as the 'gangs' go, it's already there.... there are certain people who 'post together' or .. seem to collaborate on certain topics..

I agree there should be rules... but .. keeping them rational and to a limited number is a good idea....
like rules .. at least to me imply an ignorance of some sort denying experience or knowledge of some sort.
Rules to make sure there is the least amount of ignorance make sense, and obviously anything in moderation is good. People don't need to get extreme.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
there are two rules here I do not agree with ...
which is "gangs" .. or groups.. gang is a nasty word..
and
the no drug thing..
I mean so much for denying ignorance.. I dunno seems counter-productive.

While I do see the reasoning behind such feelings, the 3 Amigos have made it quite clear what is and is not acceptable here. On the topic of drugs, feel free to peruse this thread for more information. The policies stated there are meant to be followed, whether any of us like them or not. I, for one, see the need for such restraint, when dealing with people of all ages. We must cater to all, regardless of what our own views may be. All that we ask is that you please do the same.

as far as the 'gangs' go, it's already there.... there are certain people who 'post together' or .. seem to collaborate on certain topics..

I agree there should be rules... but .. keeping them rational and to a limited number is a good idea....
like rules .. at least to me imply an ignorance of some sort denying experience or knowledge of some sort.
Rules to make sure there is the least amount of ignorance make sense, and obviously anything in moderation is good. People don't need to get extreme.

The problem is that we cannot prevent people from getting extreme with certain topics. They have been tried over and over again in ATS' 10 year history, with the same result each time.

Again, all that we ask is that you respect ATS' decisions, and adhere to them. If you feel like you want to talk about drugs somewhere, then follow SO's advice, and find any of the plethora of forums out there that sanctions such conversation.

I do apologize that it has to be this way, but to preserve this site's level of civility and decorum, we must enforce these rules.

Thank you,
TheBorg

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Great thanks for posting the quote, now the second part of my question.
Is the Secret Societies Forum somehow immune from the enforcement of this rule, or otherwise granted some undetermined permissable amount of organized collaboration?

[edit on 26-1-2008 by twitchy]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Would you care to show us an example of this policy being broken?

The Secret Societies Forum is there for the un-biased discussion of secret societies, and anything to do with them. The moderators there are just as vigilant there as they are anywhere else about stopping any "gang-like" activity.

With that said, they are not perfect, and as such, cannot catch everything that comes along. That's what our great membership, hence yourself, is here for. If you feel so inclined, please alert a mod to any post that you think is out of line, and we will look into it. If it follows TAC, we'll let it go. But if not, then we'll take appropriate action.

Again though, please show us an instance of this happening, so that we may investigate.

I do appreciate your diligence.

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Great thanks for posting the quote, now the second part of my question.
Is the Secret Societies Forum somehow immune from the enforcement of this rule, or otherwise granted some undetermined permissable amount of organized collaboration?

I understand what you are referring to. Lots of masons gathering there, right? On the other hand, there are also plenty of anti-masons gathering there. Just like there are many UFOlogists gathering elsewhere.

Where to draw the line?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Would you care to show us an example of this policy being broken?

It's not a matter of an individual thread or post which needs simply to be reported to a Mod. Its big gaping bloody hole in the T&C which allows this policy to be violated in a defacto manner becuase of the subject matter.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thread after thread after thead, I think it's safe to say I can see a pattern of collaboration, in defiance of the Policy, and ultimately to the detriment of this board.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

If you cannot point to any single thread in that forum that explicitly breaks the TAC aforementioned, then I suggest that you re-evaluate your accusation.

In any public discourse, regardless of nature or subject, there will be both supporters and dissenters. That is the nature of debate, after all. To have a fair and balanced discussion on such topics, both sides must be represented. Fortunately for us, ATS provides us with a place where we can debate these ideas in a civil manner that exemplifies all that we stand for, and supports the free and open thought that all should have.

What you suggest is happening is far from the truth. You state that this breach is going on defacto, and yet I've found not one thread that breaks the TAC.

Again I ask, can you please show me a single thread that breaks the TAC that you mentioned, so that we might have a starting point to work from? Failure to do so will show everyone that this cannot possibly be happening.

I eagerly await your reply.

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The policy question has been answered, and the ongoing discussion of specifics will be carried out via u2u's.

If any member has any issues with any member, post, policy, etc., please submit a complaint to have it reviewed by the staff.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join