It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I weird for wanting a Situation X type event to happen?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I found this thread both a relief and terrifying at the same time. It seems I'm not the only one with this gut feeling that we're staring down the barrel of something quite dramatic.

Fascinating posts. I'm not hoping for disaster, but I can understand why some might be. There's a building pressure that needs to find a way out. If there isn't some natural phenomenon to take care of this soon, we may well end up bringing it about ourselves.

I was reminded of the lyrics to the song "Aenima" by Tool when I saw the original post. Quite on topic.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this bull# three ring circus sideshow of...

Freaks here in this hopeless #ing hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any #ing time. Any #ing day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip#s.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this stupid #, silly #, stupid #...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.

Cause I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom please flush it all away.
I wanna see it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my friend.

Of course, people have been predicting the end of the world as we know it throughout modern history, at least.

[edit on 27-1-2008 by theogen]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

I'm so glad you made this post slackerwire. Now I know that I'm not alone; and that there are others out there who share my thoughts and feelings. I don't think it has anything to do with being bored, immature or an adrenaline junkie as some have suggested, it's just about being human.

Civilization is an unnatural state, and in the end it will collapse in upon itself. Barbarism is man's true natural state. We were never intended to work 40 hour weeks, eat pre-processed frozen foods, and sit on our butts during our free time. Why do you think conditions like ulcers, obesity, osteoporosis, and depression are so rampant today?

Someone asked for a name for this type of thinking.. how about "The Level Playing Field Syndrome"? I know that I'm sick to my stomach of watching the rich get richer, the poor getting poorer, people dying simply because they can't afford healthcare, old people and children starving when food is abundant, innocent people being victimized by vicious predators in our society that thumb their nose at the law-abiding, etc. The world is a crappy place to live in anymore. Something has got to change and soon.

I don't know what the catalyst will be.. a major disaster, social upheaval, a World war, a devasting plague like the one that swept through Europe in the Middle Ages, an alien attack, etc.. but it's coming down the pike like a runaway truck straight for us!

I hate to see people suffer, but that's life. People live, people die, it's as simple as that. Sometimes it's necessary to just wipe the board clean and start all over from scratch. God realized this, and sent the great flood to cleanse the World of all it's wickedness. If something cataclysmic is to happen, it's his will, and there's nothing we can do about it.

The field will be levelled, and we can all start from scratch yet again. May the fittest and most deserving survive as nature intended. When I say "fittest", I'm not speaking only of the physical. I mean the most intelligent, the most resourceful, the hardest working, the most human.

Whether I'll live or die during these times, I don't really know, but I'll do my best to survive and defend those I love, but in the end that still might not be enough. C'est la vie..

[edit on 1/28/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Indeed, the playing field has been 'levelled' before, and it will be 'levelled' again.

Originally posted by AJ Lavender
for those of you that feel strongly that 'something' will soon happen, would you share what you expect that event to be?

All I know for certain is that I need to escape to the most isolated, remote places I can get to... preferably on higher ground or among mountains. This is common sense for anyone concerned. It's not about escaping herd mentality. The fact is, whether it's martial lockdown or a natural catastrophe, the cities and densely populated places will be the absolute worst places to be. I think the most likely thing is, unfortunately, nuclear war... or perhaps something stealthier - like a virus. Whatever does happen, it will be something perfectly-planned by the NWO, but made to seem like something out of their control. Epidemic is the scariest scenario because not even those of us with our eyes open to all of this will see it coming. My gut instinct is that Western Europe and the coasts of the USA probably have big fat red bullseyes looming over them right now and one day soon, something, or someone is gonna pull back that bow and let loose.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think this desire for cataclysm is very common among people who "have little to lose." Particularly when it comes to finances and social power, you reach a point when you realize that you won't ever rise very high unless some outside force alters the current system.

Another cause of "catastrophilia" is the (possibly valid) belief that you are more competent than your neighbors, and that you would rise to the top in some sort of shakeout.

For those who hope that such a cataclysm will "end global fascism," I have have some very bad news for you:

Democracy and Free enterprise are hot-house violets that require a very sheltered environment to nurture them and protect them from predators. When things go to pot, humans demand a "strong leader who will save us." Liberty seems meaningless when you aren't safe or well-fed, and so people will care less about their constitutional rights than about finding some firewood.

Free enterprise requires a carefully constructed marketplace with controls on the quality of goods, the method of payment, financial underwriting, and law enforcement to reign in bandits. Those things will evaporate like the morning mist when a real crisis comes your way.

all the best.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
When I was in secondary school, going through the whole 'teenager' phase I wanted something to happen, be it nuclear war, famine, anything to make my life more interesting.

But then I grew up and realised that if something did happen, then a lot of people would suffer and who would wish that?

Now, I believe we live in sketchy times but I don't reckon anything bigs going to happen anytime soon. But maybe that's natural, I'm sure the people in Hiroshima felt plenty safe, same with those in the Twin Towers.

If anything does happen, it'll be quick, it'll be brutal and any thought of wishing it to happen will be completely erased from your head.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by Zanzibar]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Ever since I've been a teenager, I watched movies like Mad Max and read books about the end of the world and what would happen to society. And then I saw 'Postman' with Kevin Costner and new the end of the world had already happened

Nah serioulsy, I still have the same desire as the OP, but now that I have a wife and kids, that desire is much less then it used to be. Responsibility kicking in I think. So now I resort to watching movies and reading boks again. But still, deep down somewhere, the feeling that I want something big to happen still slumbers.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul
Indeed, the playing field has been 'levelled' before, and it will be 'levelled' again.

All I know for certain is that I need to escape to the most isolated, remote places I can get to... preferably on higher ground or among mountains. This is common sense for anyone concerned. It's not about escaping herd mentality.

As I've always said, "If I've thought of it, a million other much smarter people have also. There is no such animal as an original thought."

That isolated, remote location that no one else knows about doesn't exist . If you had a rocketship and flew to the Moon, hid in the deepest, darkest crater you could find, somebody would find you.

I thought I had such a secret place, until I set up a few trail cameras. Unfortunately my secret place wasn't that big of a secret. I own the property and have it posted, so it came as a double whammy to me. It was just money wasted.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Wow that's crazy. Kudos for setting up cameras to monitor your spot. That's effort and preparation for you. I agree, everyone who sees what's coming will be looking to escape into the wilderness. It's basic logic, and probably plain old instinct. However, I dare say there will be a proportion of society who either do not, and will not see it coming, won't be prepared for it if it did, or would rather hedge their bets with their comfortable homes and TVs. Of those prepared, I'm certain the vast majority would scatter the hills and mountains.

Having said that, I'll still be trying. I haven't scouted for my haven yet, mainly because it will have to be quite far away from where I live (there's no real wilderness in Southern England). Furthermore, I have no idea how I'd get there without a car on 'the big day', because no doubt conspicuous methods of travel like that would be treacherous.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

Honestly Cythraul, I just hate being surprised. I got the idea for the cameras from a friend of mine that's a real hardcore hunter. I'm glad I checked the place out ahead of time. My only regret is that I didn't think of doing it before I spent the money. Hindsight is 20/20.

Nothing could be worse than to get there, and find it already occupied by God knows who. I doubt my property deed would matter much at that point.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Alot of people feeling like this lately to be honest, add me to the list.

Cant remember where I read it but it read something like this:

"once every few thousand years, life reverts back to barbarism, otherwise humanity will die of over-civilisation."

I think we want a disaster to shake this world up a bit, change something, let us be real again where we need to cultivate crops to survive, where we can have time to enjoy all our works and gaze at the stars. Face it, we're bored to death, bored bored bored! We spend hours on the internet reading and researching, basically to appease our minds which are, in all honesty, bored to the bone with the way the world is at the moment. All this knowledge in our minds, nowhere to actually put it to the test. We want real life back, since we can somehow sense that we have been spun a web of lies in which to live, we wait anxiously for something to come and wake us up.

It boils down to the fact that, the world our parents grew up in and tailored to their needs, simply isnt good enough for us, we aren't challenged in the way we want to be. Things move to slow, everything is too bureaucratic, it takes years for anything to change and get a move on. We are the children of the internet, we want fast information, fast results, fast replies etc... This is why we are the children of change, coincidentally it correlates with what the Age of Aquarius is all about... funny isnt it ?

At least that is my take.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The concept of a safe haven is an interesting one. I haven't made any concrete plans to scout out territory in the event of a catastrophe, but my mind does wonder about some of the details.

Having a safe haven is of little use if you can't reach it. How much forewarning you receive, will determine your ability to reach the haven. Expect conventional routes to be log-jammed with traffic in the event that city dwellers are given the opportunity to flee a metropolis. Having access to backroads and the vehicle to use them might prove crucial.

Then there's the very real need to defend your haven. All the planning in the world won't matter if a group with more firepower happens upon your location.

Living in Denver, the obvious location for my haven would be somewhere in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. Then again, should the catastrophe turn out to be the eruption of the super volcano in Yellowstone, I'm screwed anyway!

Check out my blog: Esoterica in America

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

i feel the same way too, because i know the disaster is comming to this world in just a few months. its going to be horrific. natural and man made. 6 billion people are going to die. want to know more. read the book: 2008 gods finial wittnes. look it up on the internet. may the truth set you free.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I feel the same way....about wanting something to happen..just to insecure to admit it!

[edit on 29-1-2008 by tacticaljay]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cvand

Not another....."The world's coming to an end on this date." thing!!!! Haven't you learned anything from history? NO ONE has ever predicted the end of the world corretly. (obviously) Have doomsday seakers gotten away from individual dates and now are predicing years? I have a feeling this year will end without any real big deals......I predict I will be alive at the end of the year. Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Like many previous posters, I found this thread both frightening and relieving. I also find it amusing that the Sci-Fi channel is running The Day After (1983) as I compose this.

I posed this question to a like-minded coworker recently. We both had similar feelings on this issue as well. Part of me has definitely romanticized and is intrigued by survival in an epic disaster scenario. I think I find it interesting for three major reasons: it would be a completely novel experience for me, I prefer challenge and adversity, and it would pretty much reset the system allowing for something greater to spring up after it.

The following parameters must be met in my fantasy situation X for it to seem acceptable to me: (1) I must not die in the initial event -- living in the aftermath is the whole point; (2)

One interesting thing, when I play out various scenarios in my head, is that I do not give myself a projected life span of more than five years. In any major event that would wipe out, say, 90% of the population, normal things and events would become vastly more dangerous. Step lighter -- broken bones as easy as a trip to the doctor and a cast. Food, fresh water, antiseptics, basic medicines, and ammunition become scarce. In other words, it would be more foolish to think that I will survive for many decades to come than it is now.

Each time I imagine the logical outcomes of a large scale disaster (when I say large-scale, think superflu in The Stand, not 1906 San Francisco Earthquake), I find myself facing the same question: would I ever actually opt for this scenario over my current reality?

And so ends the fantasy. My brain runs all the possible scenarios and concludes yet again, that as far as personal survival is concerned, the continued existence of society and human life as we know it now remains in my favor.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Excellent and insightful post as usual, dr_s.
There may be those who believe that their lot would somehow be improved after a cataclysm, but I assure you that I am not among that foolish group. I fully understand that a falling tide lowers all boats. It’s just that I know the tide to be necessary and inevitable, and I, like many others, sense the time is here. Might as well dig some clams anyway.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
Is it odd that I really want something bad to happen?

I dont really care what it is, be it China invading us, Aliens invading us, a Cloverfield type event, natural disasters, massive attacks, or just plain martial law. I dont really care, I just want something to happen.

Not sure exactly why, whether it would be a new experience, or because I truly want to test myself, but is it odd/weird that I want disaster?

Yes your weird.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I do not know about living in a barbaric state. But I would agree that we would probably be better suited for a nomadic way of living the way many native american tribes did.

On that note of civilization being an "unnatural" state. I'd like to bring the law of thermo dynamics into effect and see what people think.

the first law of thermo dynamics we all know, electricity cannot be created nor destroyed

the second law states that electricity will often choose to be chaotic and disorganized (the easy way out) over order, simply because... it's easier. (If I remember correctly, if not, then please correct me, it's been a while since I took science class)

if the second law is to be believed, then we as human beings, being nothing more than big containers to a big energy source we call conscience/soul/whatever Then I can maybe see how it would probably be more suitable to live a nomadic lifestyle over an organized civilization. What do you think?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
To the OP:

No, you aren't weird. I'm with you 100%. I'm not wishing death or suffering on people, however in my very humble opinion we'd all be better off not existing than skipping blindly down this path we've created for ourselves.

We all spend most of our lives working: at jobs doing something that usually isn't improving the earth or humanity. The jobs we do usually involve making some non-biodegradable piece of crap that we really don't need, or facilitating the manufacture, shipping, or selling of these pieces of crap. We should be reaching for the stars but instead we're squabbling about which invisible man we should be worshiping or arguing about which country/nationality/race is the best/worst, and about who is screwing the other guy over.

Meanwhile the only people we care about is our own families and screw everyone else. We're a despicable species of selfish, ignorant, violent people and I think the only way TO get out of all this will be via:

1. Revolution
2. Natural Disaster
or
3. Alien Mass Landing

I can see by the responses in this thread a lot of people on ATS are thinking about these things.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
To tell you the truth, I want a "Situation X" to occur at any time. I don't really care, as long as it happens. I want it to happen too.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join