It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this be water on Mars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hi, this is my first post. I was reading about the "mysterious figures" found on Mars in another thread, and I decided to take a peak at the original picture that was located on the NASA website. In browsing the picture, I came across this particular section that struck me as looking very, well, very much like water.

What do you think?

Original photo's URL: www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Eh, I dunno. There have been so many sand formations it doesn't really yell "WATER" or oasis to this reader.

Anyway, the Texas thing is still blowing my mind to care about NASA's foilables.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by McKennalite

No, it's just light and shade effects on the Martian soil.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I dunno. I'm not convinced it's just lighting and shading effects. I'm also not convinced it's water. It's really intriguing though, because it has a ripple effect like no where else in the original picture.

It almost appears as if there might be a light breeze causing a just a bit of rippling in a small pond of liquid.

I think it's easy to discount as simple lighting/shading trickery on the eyes, but if you really look at it, observer the ripples, the gradient in color saturation, etc. -- it really does look like a small body of water.

jra

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by McKennalite
-- it really does look like a small body of water.

But it's on the side of a hill, so how could it be water? It's just sand that has collected there and has rippled from Martian winds. That's what I see anyway.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hmmm-

Side of a hill? You know, I don't know about that. Clearly, the picture's taken at such an angle as to be looking over the edge of small elevated cliff edge.

I think the "liquid-in-question" could quite easily be sitting in a bit of a dip behind that cliff-face.

Look at the way it settles out - it seems to taper off just like water would. The darkness in hue betrays a liquid like quality as compared to its surroundings. And, of course the ripples.

I'm just trying to spark a little conversation about this picture. I'm certainly not convinced it's water, but it most definitely deserves a bit of analysis.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I agree that it's just wind-blown dust. However, I'm sure if you look hard enough at the rest of the image, and blow it up about 500%, you'll find some other "strange anomaly" that will prove the existence of aliens, Jesus, and a shooter on the Grassy Knoll.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

I appreciate your opinion, and want to extend a gracious thank you for your completely unnecessary and wholly unwarranted biting sarcasm.

DIAF.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This pic was thoroughly discussed here three weeks ago. ATS users were the first to find the "humanoid figure". Enjoy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The important thing to remember is that the picture is displayed in FALSE color to emphasize subtle shade differences. That is not what the landscape really looks like.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Nohup

I appreciate your opinion, and want to extend a gracious thank you for your completely unnecessary and wholly unwarranted biting sarcasm

I liked the Nohup post!

Welcome to ATS, and I hope you develop a thicker skin going forward -- you'll need it.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I appreciate your opinion, and want to extend a gracious thank you for your completely unnecessary and wholly unwarranted biting sarcasm.

You asked if it was possible that the image, which has probably been reviewed in detail by teams of analysts at JPL or NASA, showed liquid water, on Mars, clinging to the side of an obvious hill.

I mean... come on. Really? Don't you think somebody there would have mentioned something as important as that before you "discovered" it?

It's not just you, but this kind of thing happens constantly around here. Somebody digs up an image and thinks they see water or leprechauns or alien dune buggies on it. At which point we're apparently supposed to think that somehow our space exploration conspirators are either not interested or too stupid to spot it, or purposely trying to ignore it or hide it, which they're not doing very well if some random dude on the Internet can figure it out. Or all of the above.

We'd all like to be world famous for discovering water/life/aliens/pancakes on Mars or the Moon or some stray asteroid. But we're not gonna. It's not there. And if it magically appears someday, it's going to be the team leader of the research team making the announcement on national television. Not some guy in his bedroom downloading photos on the Internet. Be realistic.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hey, listen man - you're an entitled to your own opinion. I respect that, and it wasn't like I was so wounded as to call my mother. I think my skin is a bit thicker than that.

I'm also aware of what you're talking about - people come on here and post all manner of various madness that probably doesn't mean anything at all.

Admittedly, that very well could be the case with what I posted. However, I didn't come on here to rant and rave that I had found water on Mars - I just discovered something I thought was interesting and wanted to share it on the board.

I think, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, that this is the entire point of the ATS boards.

There are all variety of skeptical people here, people that don't believe the truth is consistently told by our federal, national, state, etc. institutions. This, as I understand it, is the reason we gather here to share alternative ideas, discoveries, and downright goofy possibilities.

You're certainly entitled to flame every single person that posts anything a bit out of the ordinary, but I don't see how that helps in the cohesion of a community. Especially, when you do it to someone that posts for the first time.

---

In other news, that picture that was posted with the the color hues above. I couldn't really decipher what you were saying. Were you saying that the picture with the bluish tones was the REAL way Mars looks? Or were you saying those tones were added for emphasis? I'd imagine it's the latter. I wanted to be sure.

---

I still think it does kind of resemble a liquid, and I disagree that it's "climbing" up the side of the hill. That's my perspective, and it appears to be the minority. That's ok with me.

In the mean time I'll be communing with the Ascended Masters to get more information on this topic.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

In other news, that picture that was posted with the the color hues above. I couldn't really decipher what you were saying. Were you saying that the picture with the bluish tones was the REAL way Mars looks? Or were you saying those tones were added for emphasis? I'd imagine it's the latter. I wanted to be sure.

Sorry. My mistake. The pic you linked to in the OP is the "true" color image. The thread I linked to above is about the false color image of the same landscape.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
To a layperson's set of eyeballs such as mine, the photo of a desolate, reddish landscape with some dark objects laying everywhere doesn't tell me a whole lot. All I could see with regards to the ripple effects somewhere in the distance hill seem to indicate nothing more than wind blown sand. There should be at least some vegetation -- a sign of life of this sort at least -- growing around the edges of this alleged body of water, too. I don't see the clear cut outline of any 'shoreline' either.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
... However, I'm sure if you look hard enough at the rest of the image, and blow it up about 500%, you'll find some other "strange anomaly" that will prove the existence of aliens, Jesus, and a shooter on the Grassy Knoll.

Although it looks like McKennalite can handle himself well enough, I've got to say

Bad form Nohup!

How about a simple 'hey, new guy, here's my opinion, and check out the informative ATS link(s) on the subject.'

rather than an underhanded attack, pigeonholing a new member, you don't even know.

Anyway, welcome Mckennalite. check out these links for a crash course on ATS.

Index of Important Website Related Threads

Terms & Conditions Of Use

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Liquid water on Mars cannot exist. The low atmospheric pressure and cold conditions on the planet make it impossible.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I point this out frequently. It doesn't seem to make any difference!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by McKennalite

This has been discussed at length, and the general conclusion has been that it is not water/liquid. However, as with all data, it is open to revision if different information is found.

And you did exactly what we want and expect of members. You found something that appeared to be worth a second look, and you brought it forward. While a search here could have gotten you the thread where this was discussed, I realize that a new member may not be aware of the search function.

Pay no attention to the more jaded of our members, their bark is mostly worse than their bite. Being cynical warps any natural feeling of understanding towards those less abused than themselves. I think that deep down they want to find something as bad as anyone else, but fear of disappointment keeps them from accepting anything short of a billboard on Mars with "Water" written on it and an arrow pointing to a lake with palm trees all around it.

Keep looking, and don't fear the paper tigers. Good work for a first post.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
--Thanks JBird for the welcome and the info.--

I think, of course, that in "finding" anything on Mars that appears to be either aquatic in nature or somewhat life-like, there must be a suspension of beliefs in a lot of the information that is "common" knowledge. Essentially, if you would like to entertain the possibility that perhaps you've found a humanoid figure in the landscape, or you've found a shallow pool of water -- you can't exactly have the most trusting relationship with NASA, etc.

It could certainly be true that this cynicism, skepticism, criticality, or whatever you might want to call it is unwarranted or schizophrenic. However, there is an oh-so slim possibility that everyone is lying, and we believe we see is true. Now, I wish I had empirical statistics on these possibilities, but, as I understand it, 72.6% of statistics are made up on the spot.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

It's definitely sand. The rover's been up there and has driven onto it.

Stable, standing pools of liquid water in that environment just aren't feasible.

top topics

join