It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by hildar

Neh, NASA is never wrong and never lie.
We were taught that in school.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
Would it be worthwhile to contact someone for information ?

I was just looking around the CSS website and found some e-mail address links for people on the CSS/SSS team and wondered if shooting them an e-mail, maybe point them to this thread on ATS, would be helpful?

Ok guess not. Worth a shot though eh ?
Just sitting by idly drives me nuts.

*sigh*

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Well lets see what we got here, We have TU24 making a near miss on the earth, and someone thinks that "maybe" this rock has a negative polarization to it and that "possible" negative polarity of an object twice the size of the sears tower will catastrophically effect an object as large as the earth?

I am going to have to disagree with this. On these points...

1) This object is slated to not hit the earth but come close. OK so we aren't really in danger of this thing hitting us so don't have to worry about that.

2) The possible amount of negative IONS from this object cannot possibly be more than the positive ionic charge of an entire planet. I am sorry this thing couldn't hold the charge.

Listen though I could be wrong about this. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but for my money I have to say probably not much to worry about. So I guess ill see yall on the 29th

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
This thing is about 673,191 Km from earth ..

the moon is 385,000Km so it is almost twice as far away and will miss us by 2/3 of a million miles. still a little close for comfort but not that scary.

Respectfully,
GEO

I read yesterday that it's actually going to be passing within about 350,000 miles of earth; that's about half of what your estimate is. That may be where it is now, but it is coming closer.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Nobody here has claimed it will hit Earth, to my knowledge. The cause for concern does lie in the possibility of this rock being negatively charged which could indeed have some type of affect on the Earth's magnetosphere.

To my knowledge.

I too don't claim any expertise on the matter but that does make some sense to me.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thankyou for your thoughts. I agree there is a lot going on with this one. Very concerned with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This is the latest distance on Nasa I believe...although all these numbers start running together

Earth MOID = .0012501 AU

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

Originally posted by geocom
This thing is about 673,191 Km from earth ..

the moon is 385,000Km so it is almost twice as far away and will miss us by 2/3 of a million miles. still a little close for comfort but not that scary.

Respectfully,
GEO

I read yesterday that it's actually going to be passing within about 350,000 miles of earth; that's about half of what your estimate is. That may be where it is now, but it is coming closer.

also realize that every day it is getting closer that is what is so disturbing about this it shows it at .004 on the 28th and nothing for the 29th then on the 30th its .007 yet every day before the 29th it goes down from .006 to .004 daily. what is it going to stop coming closer to earth on the 29th just because we dont want it to hit us and stay at .004??

Edited for my bad spelling lol.
Hilda

[edit on 22-1-2008 by hildar]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hildar

quote:your reply to outlawstar's family dreams------i also saw a huge "Rock"hitting a temple.

Re:please tell me if in your temple dream you saw that it looks like my avatar ?----if it does i will contact my relatives in jerusalem and tell them to be out of town on the 29th.
thank you,sincerely yahn.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Message from Google when searching 2007 TU24....very strange

Google Error 403 Forbidden

We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

If you're continually receiving this error, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting your Google cookie and revisiting Google. For browser-specific instructions, please consult your browser's online support center.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
If by some chance, it hits and kills all of us, you can tell me I was wrong.

I realize you're joking with your statement, but I feel compelled to mention that, if the asteroid does, in fact, hit Earth, it's not liable to "kill us all". While it would have an estimated impact power of between a 15 and 30 megaton nuclear weapon, that's not enough to "kill us all".

What is far more likely in such an event if it strikes is:

66% massive tsunami (since 2/3 the Earth's surface is covered in water), severely impacting coastal cities that line whichever ocean it lands in.

33% massive particulate pollution for X number of days, weeks, etc, if it hits land. This would make air travel for conventional engines impossible, perhaps car travel as well, as intakes would be clogged with particulates. Immediate collateral damage and loss of life notwithstanding, the economic impact could be very high indeed if it hit an area like, say, New York, London, Mumbai, Tokyo, etc.

Assuming it landed close enough to you to affect you, but far enough away not to kill you, aside from the particulate and economic hazards, you would also face a shortage of food, water, electricity, gas, oil, etc, as the local infrastructure would be heavily damaged, and what is left would be diverted towards rescue efforts, reconstruction, and keeping law enforcement, hospitals, and fire departments up and running.

I'm not remotely worried about getting killed by the asteroid. If I get killed, I get killed, and I stand just as much risk of dying 7 minutes from now as I do 7 days from now. What I worry about are making sure my family is provided for in the event of a crisis. That's the difference.

Again though, the odds being 25:1 that nothing will happen, I'm pretty confident life will go on as it always has. It's still close enough to get prepared though.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think we have to remember with any of this stuff, that it may be a ploy to distract our attention from something else. I for one an not going to concern myself with a huge stone floating somewhere in the sky. There's no point really. If to comes to pass, then it's a free for all, and frankly, we might be the better for it. If it doesn't, then what have we missed while we were all farting around in this forum? Possibly something we could have done something about? Who knows.

On another note. This guy, who's credentials I can't exactly attest to, (admittedly, from the looks of his NASA gear, he probably believes in the moon landing [heh.]) offers at the very least an interesting counter-point (propaganda?)

Repeat after me: asteroid 2007 TU24 is no danger to Earth

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GiantSloth

I too have been looking at the mis-direction angle. I mentioned that a page or so back. It seems likely that some group could know the mindset of the CT community well enough to know just what would attract enough attention to focus most everyone in a certain direction. Would this allow something else to be sneaked past.

I am looking around a lot right now.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This thread is getting kind of big, but I don’t see any answers on this.

Since earth is closer to TU24 this year on its orbital path, and it’s very small in the space world, is earth’s gravity taken into effect? Will it be close enough to change in some large way, or be pulled in due to earth’s Gravitational force?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
reply to post by hildar

quote:your reply to outlawstar's family dreams------i also saw a huge "Rock"hitting a temple.

Re:please tell me if in your temple dream you saw that it looks like my avatar ?----if it does i will contact my relatives in jerusalem and tell them to be out of town on the 29th.
thank you,sincerely yahn.

It is a temple I have never seen before where it is in this world I do not know. But there will be something happening not sure if it will be from the asteroid or in 2012. But my family is always on alert just in case. My daughter whom is almost 5 even has dreams and visions. In fact 2 weeks ago she was outside playing and looked up at the sky and said to her dad big rock. I looked up and saw nothing yet all day long she kept looking up saying the same thing. That night before she went to sleep she said I dream big rock mommy. Should I worry that she sees things like this? No because the whole family sees things in there dreams lately. This was before I had ever even known about TU24 so how she knows something is coming I do not know.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Isn't dreams about "doom" a pretty far stretch from the original thread topic? I mean, it's not a bad thing in and of itself, but it doesn't do much to help figure out what is really happening, if anything.

What we really want is more data. And that we're not getting.

I understand the government position about not causing panic with information. It seems like that has been an underlying theme with UFOs for a long time. But when there's no information, the panic spreads with dreams and plain old worry. It's like the very opposite of keeping down panic when information is withheld, either innocently or otherwise.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hildar, that story gave me the creeps!

I dont know what to think or where to go to look up information that i can understand

I am convinced however, that the end will come in some form on 2012 for most of us. I watched the History channel last night and all prophesies from around the world, every religion have that date as a target date for the end of humanity.

The sad thing is i cant tell anyone i know about it, they think i'm nuts. I feel so isolated and alone with my knowledge of this asteroid.... Nobody i know gives a damn and they dont beleive it either. I am more interested in the scientific understanding of things as opposed to the Apocalypse/Biblical side of these issues.

Is there a website that lays out the asteroid situation in laymans terms so one can understand it?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
All of the links that have been posted only give rise to more questions. There aren't any answers available to anybody it seems. At least to anybody in the public sector. But here is something that might provide folks with a little comfort, some peace of mind. Space is big. Really BIG. So even if TU24 is headed our way and appears to be threatening, remember that space is big. So big that TU24's ducks have to all be lined up in a row for it to hit us. By chance it could happen, but the larger probability is that it will not. Possible, yes, but not too probable. Space is big.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
This thread is getting kind of big, but I don’t see any answers on this.

Since earth is closer to TU24 this year on its orbital path, and it’s very small in the space world, is earth’s gravity taken into effect? Will it be close enough to change in some large way, or be pulled in due to earth’s Gravitational force?

Like a man on a ten speed bike following a huge trailer truck on the highway, he would be sucked in like a piece of paper. The Earth's gravity will have the same affect because it is following us in, and so in space it would be like you following the car ahead, you're both moving very fast but you're catching up at 3 miles per hour.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

What is the actual time window of this object at it's closest to Earth? Is there a conversion chart for the time somewhere? I'm in Central Standard Time. Thanks,
STM

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join