It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Good Has America Done In The Last 10 Years?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
The U.S. has been extremely good at buying and consuming things produced by everybody all over the planet. As a result, millions, if not billions of people have been able to provide food and shelter and medicine for themselves and their familes, and hate the U.S. peacefully in their nice warm homes.

The U.S. is not in the business of doing nice things for people. That's not in the Constitution. The U.S. knows how to consume stuff. What the rest of the people in the world choose to do with that is entirely up to them. Many have made a pretty good living from it.

Just to point out a small thing here: buying stuff up may not necessarily be considered 'good'. Sure, the US may buy stuff from the poorer countries, or the labour-intensive countries, but that would also be supported child labour, overworking, underpaying, etc. Aside from that, buying up stuff would only benefit a few people (the traders). And seeing how the US probably gives a better price than whatever local (to the manufacturers) consumers can give, by buying so much stuff, they're preventing the people of those countries from using those things.

Economics is a complicated, complicated thing
, and as Nohup said, it is not about being 'good' or being 'bad'. It is about money.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Any nation that has given humanity Apple Computers and The Simpsons gets my vote.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Fang

Ever see, "Talledaga Nights, the Ballad of Ricky Bobby"?

"We brought you the missionary position. You're welcome."

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
America removed visa regime for my country, so I and my countrymen can travel there when ever we like.

Thnx.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Please post ON TOPIC.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Here's a better question. What good has any country really done in the past 10 years? Have they done more than the US?

DCP

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
are you talking a global level or from the individual

i mean every day more people are trying to come into America then leave it. More people see it as good then evil

you could talk about how many people come to America for life saving treatment(even though America doesn't have universal health care and some of the countries people that come from do)

How many Muslims were saved from genocide by American forces around Bosnia?

how many people around the world have a higher quality of life from using American technology/discoveries?

How many people have FOOD, period, because of the generosity of America?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The United states has made a deal with God in suport of the truest natured messengers and God sent beings. They are now working within the compiled data trying to draw up understandings of what is real and where lines can be drawn.

The return of the Christ and all the children of God will happen in the United States because of the origin teachings of the U.S. in the compleat seperation between church and state.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The red cross helps worldwide, yeah they help many countries. But as someone said yes we helped people in India after the Tsunami. But yet we couldnt take care of Katrina victims. I dont know there are pros and cons to this and more cons then pros. I wont even get into this because to me in the past 10 years truthfully we havent done much. Which sucks.

Hilda

DCP

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
There is one big difference between the Tsunami and Katrina. Tsunamis hit quick and do damage. Katrina people had PLENTY of warnings. Freedom is a two edge sword, the federal government has no rights to come into your house and move you because you don't want to/cannot leave. You have the right to be as dumb as you like, and that is what happened in New Orleans.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bgaty

*looks around* and slowly backs out of the thread

and hopes I get a bonus for keeping my mouth shut.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pugachev
Here's a better question. What good has any country really done in the past 10 years? Have they done more than the US?

Alternatively, which country has done the most net bad?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bgaty
Anyways I have a question for you all, What good has the United States done for the world and for it's own people in the last decade?

Thats an interesting question. From my English perspective...

On an eye candy level, it put Kari Byron and Jessica Alba onto my TV screen.

On a personal level its provided some interesting conversations on ATS.

Globally the response to the Tsunami was a plus.

I'm sure alot of "aid" has been donated to charity by way of conditional contribution.

Other positives....I'm finding hard to come up with.

Still, I'm sure other people will come up with more.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I would like to forward that the USA has taken on the worlds biggest future problem head on, all be it in a typical manner all governments seem to suffer from and thats blunders and money wasting.

This problem is the proliferation of the Islamic faith through out the world and acquisition of "the Bomb". Islam isn't a religion of tolerance and its basic tenet is convert or kill which if left unchecked would result in another "dark age" due to the other principles it embraces and the downgrading of a females worth in society.

Make no mistake how the USA went about it was probably wrong in hindsight and not the most favourable way to tackle this issue...but none the less they have.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
As an American living abroad, I can say that America has done a thorough job of making people feel good about not being American. Just think, the age old American Dream has been disappeared in a decade.

America has also become a great source of entertainment for the rest of the world. Dread, amusement, awe.

Plus we Americans have become approached differently. People often start conversations with me by saying they don't hate Americans. They wish to preempt me perhaps before I came preempt them.

America is seen simply as oil hungry and war mongering, with an idiot representing it.

Conspiracies on 9/11 aren't very interesting to them because the whole thing has become overshadowed by the what followed. They have a forest view. They see a lot of death in the last 10 years with America at its heart. They see a lot of war and threats of more to come.

They call America an HONORABLE nation, and see no help in sight against its HONORABLE acts.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
"Freedom's on the march"?

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla

Originally posted by pugachev

Alternatively, which country has done the most net bad?

That would be interesting to look into. How would you determine that? through loss of life, living conditions, corruption?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Oh come on. America has watched over the world. This country is like a big brother. LOL.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
What Good Has America Done In The Last 10 Years?

My humble contribution barely makes the deadline.

In 1994, an estimated 1MM ethnic Tutsis & their sympathizers (men, women, children) were beaten and hacked to death by rival Hutu militants....Clinton remained passive.

But....

During a 1998 tour of Africa, our president expressed regret, and actually apologized for his failure to intervene in the Rwandan genocide.

In all sincerity bgaty...you ask a legitimately good question. Unfortunately, given the quality of the past decade...it's the kind of question that can bring an uncomfortable silence.

I know there are positives...just wish I had one to offer

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Gibson and fender guitars,and messa amps.great music(compared to other nations)and films.

Apart from that the god squad has decided to kill muslims for fun and money

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join