It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Good Has America Done In The Last 10 Years?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Culture, entertainment, technology, scientific research, medicine, international humanitarian aid, and as someone previously mentioned; putting The Simpsons on our TVs.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OBE1
What Good Has America Done In The Last 10 Years?

My humble contribution barely makes the deadline.

In 1994, an estimated 1MM ethnic Tutsis & their sympathizers (men, women, children) were beaten and hacked to death by rival Hutu militants....Clinton remained passive.

But....

During a 1998 tour of Africa, our president expressed regret, and actually apologized for his failure to intervene in the Rwandan genocide.

In all sincerity bgaty...you ask a legitimately good question. Unfortunately, given the quality of the past decade...it's the kind of question that can bring an uncomfortable silence.

I know there are positives...just wish I had one to offer

Thank you, i agree with you on that and i hope the next decade can bring more good than bad. Maybe a new administration can bring some positive change, but who knows.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DCP

You bring up a good point, you can really look at it in whatever way you like. On an individual level i know that great things are happening everyday, but too bad those things done get too much more coverage.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Three Words:

ROCK AND ROLL!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras
What exactly are you trying to do bgaty? Make yourself feel better? Im sure there has been a ton of great work done in the US, by normal people. The people who should be leading the way in doing great work, arent. It reminds me of that article I read two weeks ago, amid the coming recession.

It said "Why are Americans so darned happy" And it was a nicely lovely positive article about why Americans are still the happiest people on Earth apparently. And it went on to say that a primary reason was because of the wealth they enjoyed. Well, if the future is anything to go by, the writer might have egg on his face.

Its funny you mention this. I just got back from a two week trip to Mexico with my wife. We are not wealthy by any means so we had a much different trip than many US or European citizens who were travailing there. One thing we noticed over and over was the difference between the Mexicans and the Average tourist.

Mexicans are, by and large, super kind, happy, smiling people. I loved it, it was so refreshing a warming. In contrast so many of the tourists were stressed, straight faced, bickering, and apparently unhappy. We noticed the differance so often that we had several conversations on the issue.

Our conclusion? Money does not equal happiness. In fact, we decided the pursuit of wealth and the act of spending it is a huge stress. We talked about this with a guy who picked us up on the side of the highway about 50 kilometers north of Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico. He agreed that although they make much less money where he lives in Mexico, Tulum, he thinks he is happier than most of the "white" people who visit his state. HE said that to him and his family being happy was the priority, money did not even seem to be a close second.

In regards to the OP, I think the US has done a lot of harm and a bit of good over the last 10 years. First and foremost I think the efforts of the WTO, IMF, and the Super 7 (or what ever they are called) has done massive damage to people all over the globe, including ourselves. The creation of institution of Free Trade is a killer and I hope it goes away really really soon. Then there is the War and embargoes we have inflicted on nations, namely Iraq (twice in 10 years? not to mention the embargo and bombings in between).

It was nice we were so quick to help out after the Tsunami. Too bad we couldn't have done the same here at home for Katrina victims.

Also, I think Al Gore's movie was pivotal in a good way too. Regardless of where one stands on the issue of Anthropogenic Global Warming it is hard to deny that us humans and our rapidly growing population (5.5 billion since 1800s) is doing a lot of damage to the planet. Any wake up call that resonates with humanity in general about the need for us to treat this planet, our home, with respect is a good thing.

Anyway there are a few off the top of my head, I am sure I could come up with more on either side, sadly I would have to say the most probably on the negative side.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I honestly believe for all the faults the country has, it is still the greatest on earth at the present moment. It's the only country where you can literally "work your way up." In a country such as India, societies still hold the cast system in their minds (even though legally it's gone). For example, (and I have seen this first hand as I am from this country), an Indian servant or house cleaner could work their hearts out their entire life and they probably wouldn't get any raise, promotion, and would be looked down upon. Versus here in america you can do the same thing, and your hard work will build your reputaion, you can expand into a cleaning business, and then grow it even larger, etc etc. Also, another great thing about America is our acceptance of different people (although you will never TRULY eliminate prejudices). For example, in this country, there are programs and institutions to help people with all kinds of disorders and disabilities. In India, people like that are actually looked down upon and can't even get a job! The above doesn't answer the question "What America has DONE that is positive in the past 10 years." But I feel like any answer to this question is just like the half empty half full argument. The world literally is a reflection of yourself. If you think the U.S. is a horrible, mean country going downhill then it is. If you think it's a great place, then it is. The real problem with the country is the attitude and culture. There's a huge lack of ROLE MODELS and LEADERS! Look at martin luther king, he was all for human rights and he got assassinated (was a true leader). Look at John Kennedy, created the peace corps to aid undeveloped nations. . . WAS ALSO ASSASINATED. Basically there's no one who has really stepped up in the last 10 years. With all of this weighed out, The U.S. is still an amazing country filled with oppurtunity. It has done great things in the past (ending the world wars, striving for equality, etc.) The most important thing is that we get some real leaders who make things happen and truly stand up for what they believe so we can direct our future.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The United States may be the most prosperous country in the world, but are we supposed to give our wealth that we busted our asses for AND FEEL BAD ABOUT IT? Im so sick and tired of the lazy ungrateful humans of the recent generations. When disasters happen and countries are in desperate need of help ARE we not there to help?! We are currently spending billions and sending American soldiers that give their lives to Iraq To HOPEFULLY gain another ally In the middle east and bring releif to terrorism that has already claimed thousands of lives. Iraq is an area surrounded by corrupt terrorost countries. Want to hate the United States because of the wealth WE EARNED, look at China, Where was china during the Indian Ocean tsunami? They are a booming economy that is communist and surpasses populations of ANY COUNTRY, we trade with China, yet China makes bullet shooting satellites and tests thier invention by shooting down U.S satellites, we turn our heads, are we so bad? We are the only nation who embraces freedom and prosperity AND religious freedom. Corrupt governments see that as a Bullet wound, knowing the people they force and enslave could have an opinion and turn against them! NOO thats impossible. Do not beleive Everything you hear on the 8 O'clock update to Boost ratings. If they told you a cow fell from the sky and no explanations were avaliable you would probably beleive it, use your head. Learn facts from actual soldiers, and research why we are at war AND how the "horrible Americans" are giving thier lives to stop terrorist that threat innocent lives. Soldiers died for you freedom to speak your thoughts and beleive WHATEVER you like, you can express your opinion rather than being tortured and shot for expressing yourself in a corrupt country. America has given hope to the enslaved humans across the world. PLEASE do not base your opinion of the American PEOPLE on our Presidents and Government. America is corrupt. Greed has seeped into America also. So dont feel too bad, because America is going down the #ter, and we are taking the world with us, THEN MAYBE YOU WILL REALIZE WHAT AMERICA DOES FOR THE WORLD.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

He, he, you forgot America has liberated two countries (that is what was sold to us with propaganda), has spread capitalism (while collapsing the global markets with junk), has made China wealthy beyond recognition giving them the gift of American companies to their disposal (while killing the middle class in our own nation and rendering our nation unable to sustain itself and produce real wealth, we produce a lot of junk paper to sell but not real wealth) and has been borrowing to be able to survive and pay for all the good deeds is doing around the world (while borrowing on our unborn children future to paid the debt).

Actually America is not the one that has done all those good things but the corrupted and dirty politicians that runs our country.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Now, there is many ways to look at this; as others have allready said.
Sure, there is Countries in which America have helped in some way; in contrast to this, there is things which America has done which may not be so posotive.

America, like every other country, will always look out for itself and its citizens.
If it feels a country is in trouble, that could be an opportunity, they could help it and gain other things; like popularity amongst their own citizens and that of other countries.

I myself, reside in Northern England, so although I don't witness American life first hand, I know that my country basically resides within the ' American ' shadow. America goes to war, we follow, America plunges into an economic collapse, we soon follow.

Not sure if I have really adressed the subject at hand, hope it may contribute to other peoples posts though.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
ROCK FLAG AND EAGLE!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

The country with the most incarcerated people in
the world.

The country with the highest debt ,
# 193 : This Will Blow Your Mind!
______beforeitsnews/economy/2013/03/this-will-blow-your-mind-think-all-is-well-with-the-us-economy-2499300.html

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join