It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captured Talibans treated like animals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 10:35 AM
link   
A week ago I recieved a pic of my buddy who is in the Spec Ops team of the army. I really don't want to send it to anybody or put it on a page because I don't want to get my buddy into any trouble, I hope you can understand this, but I can describe what is on these pics. It's inside of an Us Army airplane ( I dunno which one because I don't know anything about planes) and you see abou 10 captured "Talibans" and 5 soldiers.
The Talibans are on the floor and got a black bag over there head and got handcuffs and strapped their feet together. Then one long white strap is around their bodies and "hammered" into the wall. I'll bet you won't see something like this on CNN. I think it's a sad picture, even if the are "the bad guys". Tell me what you think.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The picture has been posted here before.
Some people felt it was apropriate, others, like myself, felt it was proof the US was contraveneing the geneva convention, specifically on the issue of hooding.

a discussion insued mainly concerning the US's refusal to acknowledge the prisoners as POW's but instead as "hostile combatants" a lable which neetly bipasses the need to abide by the geneva convention.

other issues include taking the prisoners to areas outside the US where torture was not an illegal method of interegation.

The threads around here if you look for it.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 10:40 AM
link   
There have been pictures like the one you decribed on this site.

But to be honest,I do not have a lot of sympathy for them.They are after all alive.Not executed,beheaded,or have there bodies dragged through the streets.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Panther, theres a link to some pics in this thread:
xmb.abovetopsecret.com...

Are those the ones you're talking about?

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 10:56 AM
link   
damn I thought he made the pics himself...lol yeah I was talking about these pics

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Are you all sweeties ?????????????????

What's wrong with these pics ?

They are not hurts ! They can't move and they can't see, nothing more. Also, the soldiers didn't hit them or mistreated them.
And they are pretty sympathics with the talibans. Don't forget, they are on a plane.If they are not attached to the plane, they will move everywhere in the plane, and they could be wounded when the plane will have to take off.
Why do you think that you have to fasten your seat belt when you 're on a 747 ? For the fun ?

I bet that none of you never did a military training !
When I was soldier, sometime, we had to do the intruders. When we were captured, we had these bags on our heads and handcuffs to.Do I have to say that I was on the soil, my head in the mud, a combat shoes pressing my back, and an assault rifle pressed on my head ?????

The mere time where the guy who had to keep an eye on me and didn't treated me " wrong " ( no handscuffs, no bags, not lying down on the ground ), he received my right fist on his stomach and my left fist on his face. And of course, I escaped !

And it was just a NATO training and I wasn't a terrorist !
Could you imagine what a terrorist will do if he's not immobilized correctly ????

[Edited on 14-12-2002 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

Actually......no I'm only 15

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by StalkingPanther

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

Actually......no I'm only 15

Ok, I understand why you are a sweetie then.
( Just kidding, just kidding...
)

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I do not pity the Taliban. I do not see how having a baf over your head is being mistreated. Can you please explain that to me?

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 02:33 PM
link   
UP's correct -- it's pretty humane treatment.

One thing they don't stress enough is that these were trained guerilla fighters and VERY dangrous men. They weren't afraid to die. If 2-3 of them get loose, you have an extremely dangerous and difficult situation on your hands.

If you remember, 15 of them took over a bus (they were being transported as hostages), killing the guards and driver and then escaped.

For my money, they can sit be transported with bags on their heads and well chained so they can't move. In fact, keeping them so chained up that they had to be moved with stretchers was an excellent idea.

Which would you have rather had -- a prettier picture with nice little handcuffs... and 30 of our men dead, or a highly secured bunch of thugs who had to endure the indignity of being transported like that for a short period of time.

My family's military. I know which one I prefer.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Bryd continues to be our voice of reason - well said.

As I said in the other thread, I really don't see a problem with those pictures. Everyone went nuts when the 'gitmo' pictures came out. I have a few saved on my PC. "they were shackled and handcuffed" everyone cried. That ill-placed energy would be better directed towards how OTHER nations treat their prisoners, imho. China just executed internet users - but America handcuffs terrorists. I dumbfounded.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 02:53 PM
link   
here is why it does not apply

A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following
categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy:

1. Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict as well as members of militias or volunteer corps forming
part of such armed forces.

2. Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance
movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory
is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil
the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

(c) That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

Now even if it DID apply to them there is nothing in the entire text prohibiting "hooding" there is this though...

The Detaining Power
shall take adequate precautions especially in case of transport by sea or by air, to ensure their safety during
transfer...

So I really don't see the big problem with the way they were handled.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yes it is mind numbing isn't it.For the life of me I can't figure out why people would make a big deal out of this.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It's not the hooding whats bad about it, the bad thing is, what do they do when they need to take a P*** on a 9 hour flight or how long it is. I dunno if these planes have a toilet but if they do, they have a right to use it I think. This is not a joke!!

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 04:57 PM
link   
recieve as their prisoners?

I'll tell you, much worse than the lack of a bathroom privledges.

These idiots realized the risk and consequences prior to their involvement.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 05:02 PM
link   
They'll treat us a hell of alot worse.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Looks like your friend beat you to sending it to CNN, or rather...CNN beat him to getting the picture? Hmm...that's not the point though...the point is.......

.........Do the bastards know what's above their filthy heads? I mean, I know WHY they have hoods on, for protective purposes, but perhaps they were allowed a peak?

Besides, we don't treat them like animals, they ARE animals, I mean...they don't even bother to s.h.i.t in the corners of their cages!

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Going to the bathroom is the least of their worries.

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Pretty easy StalkingPanther.

Stand up to your feet, go straight to the hatch, opent the hatch, unzip your pant and...and...? I can't write it, but you know what I mean.

A little advice : Do not bend over the hatch !

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Let�s not forget when they arrived at 'Gitmo' these guys received the best medical treatment they would ever get, (some had operations) were fed better than probably ever had been, and were given the Koran so they could practice the wrong version of Islam we've been told they practice. PLUS, I remember hearing on the news that some prisoners wanted to go to Gitmo so they would receive better medical treatment. THINK for a minute what would have happened to the guys in the hand of the Russian or Chinese or what any other country might do to these guys.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join