It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MacBook Air

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
When you are done comparitive pricing on the newest la girls jeans, just drop it in your pink gucchi bag and move along. Looked like a bad Mad TV sketch when I saw applekosh come out in all black with black half gloves.
My sister could drop him with a half hearted slap. Soooo Cali. Psshad.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Are you talking about Steve?
Dude is getting old and has already survived colon cancer.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is in reply to many of the posts in this thread.

Someone asked why they use PATA drives. This is because they don't make any SATA 1.8" drives. The MacBook Air uses the same hard drive found in iPods, which is a 1.8" PATA drive. As for speed, the drive certainly won't compare well to a 7,200 RPS desktop drive, but there are payoffs for size. In real-world use, I'm sure the speed of the drive will be fine.

Also, the SSD drive is not slower than a PATA drive. SSD drives are much faster, in fact. The drive should be able to sustain darn close tot he theoretical maximum 133MB/s of the PATA interface (and be able to do it at any location on the disk). The regular hard drive will, as all hard drives do, lose speed it reads the inside edge of the disk. This is because the drive spins at a constant speed, and more bits pass under the head at the outside edge of the drive. less bits pass under as the head moves in to the center.

SSD drives are also valued because there are no moving parts to break, and they are very low power devices, increasing battery life.

Finally, someone asked about optical drives. First, Apple does offer an external DVD/CD burner drive for $99. But they also have a "Remote Disk" function. If you install the Remote disk software on your desktop machine (be it Mac or PC), the drive will show up on the MacBook Air. This is a great way to install software, and it can even be used to reinstall the OS. I know on my current laptop, I use it maybe once a month. It doesn't make sense to lug the drive around for such low usage.

For $1799, I think the base model with the regular drive is a great value. For $3098, the one with the SSD drive is good if you need something that's rugged and has super long battery life.

Edit: Ah, the lack of a FireWire port. Yup, I wish it had one. But more and more cameras are recording to flash cards or hard drives, and you can get the files on them onto the Air via USB.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by nataylor]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'll tell you the exact same thing I told my coworkers

"That itty bitty thing will snap like a twig. Just a little leverage and pop, there goes $2k. I like my laptops like I like my women, big, beefy and can take a beating.

catalog2.panasonic.com... l=Toughbook-19

The toughbook, that’s what I’m talking about."

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
That was my immediate concern when I saw it too Rasob. Like em big beefy and can take a beating, or give one as well LOL.
Grggle, splort, pop. That's me extricating my foot out of my mouth once again. No idea Steve is a cancer survivor, I once again prove I can be a complete and total moron, thanks for the heads up on that.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Toughbook lol that's funny, I don't think I heard of that one. That looks dangerous

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Guys, I came across this one - only for $399.99

Click here

[edit on 19-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I lug my macbook around with me everywhere, so the weight saving along would be sweet.

Get a sony vaio VGN TX3-XP

I have one, cost me £1500 but its a fab UPL, and so amazingly small! The Screen is like paper!

reviews.cnet.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join