It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain scans used to find dyslexia clues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Let me tell you something I have dyslexia, I switch letters and numbers around in my head, I can't read really really tiny text that they use to make a novel smaller! I need pink lenses in my glasses to help me read better! I was called ADD until my mom proved I was dyslixic. I have problems spelling some words. And I've been like this since first grade!

And they say they can find a cure kids that have it once they pin point it. Yeah if the teacher takes the time and sits and talks with them one on one. But will that really happen?

And besides wasn't Einstein dyslixic?

Patrick is one of 80 Maryland youngsters with the reading disability dyslexia who are letting scientists peer inside their brains. The goal: to learn just what goes wrong when dyslexic children try to read and whether certain commercial teaching methods can make the brain rewire itself to read better.

Click here for rest of the story....

Edit: Fixed the link

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Curiosity]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
your link doesn't work.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
your link doesn't work.

Fixed it...try it now...

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
cool story... hopefully they will able to develop some good diagnostic tools that can identify this earlier so kids can get involved in some kind of intervention program. I seriously doubt there will be any kind of "cure" for dyslexia, just because of the nature of the disorder. But it sounds like you are getting along fine, provided that you look at the right sized text, wear the right lenses, etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Brain scanning for dyslexia - what a waste of money. Why not just give the kids the the $3,000 reading package and then test the results.
I have doubts that the scans are purely for dyslexia - these kids are cheap guinea pigs. There is a school of thought that suggests dyslexia is a result of the brain advancing - and the fact that most dyslexics are above average I.Q could support that theory. The brain is learning to reconnect to take on advanced thinking.
The fact that dyslexia is hereditary should mean children in families affected by dyslexia are helped from the moment they learn to speak.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiosity
Let me tell you something I have dyslexia, I switch letters and numbers around in my head, I can't read really really tiny text that they use to make a novel smaller! I need pink lenses in my glasses to help me read better! I was called ADD until my mom proved I was dyslixic. I have problems spelling some words. And I've been like this since first grade!

And they say they can find a cure kids that have it once they pin point it. Yeah if the teacher takes the time and sits and talks with them one on one. But will that really happen?

And besides wasn't Einstein dyslixic?

Curiosity,
I think someone has found a source for the problem of dyslexia and medication that helps. His name is Dr. Harold Levinson. A trip to your local public library and a search by author in whatever card catalog system they use may yield some interesting reading.

Of course, all the "dyslexic help organizations" are trying to discredit him, but such has been the plight of all great discoveries and the people who make them. Levinson claims it is inner ear related and I feel very strongly that he is correct. He has also made the same link between inner ear problems and phobias/panic attacks (this type of problem is what led me to Levinson). If you've ever had either of these or balance problems, it may behoove you to check this man and his theories out.

Thanx, Paul.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Here the one about the suicidal dyslexic?
He jumped behind a moving bus

Okay, now that that is out of the way... I knew these twins when I was in boot camp; they had to have rose tinted glasses, too... never knew why. But not until after reading the entire first posting had I figured it out.

Sorry about the joke, man. Had I known before typing it in... See, children, it pays to read everything before leaping like an idiot.

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by soothsayer]

top topics

join