It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northeast Weather Satellite: What the heck are these?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I am a avid user of a local website that displays weather information real-time. I was watching the news and I noticed something odd on the satellite images of a passing storm. I went to their site and sure enough the .GIF was the same image I saw on TV.

Here it is....

Anyone else see the passing streaks?

There are multiple "objects" moving in a straight line across the screen.

I have never seen this before!

Can anyone shed any light on what we are seeing?

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

Hello IMAdamnALIEN, they are just radar sweep shadows, nothing to get alarmed by its normal but maybethey should turn gown their gain or turn up their sensitivity controls,
gwhint

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Thats nothing out of the ordinary. Its just radar clutter or like gwhint said, radar sweep shadows. We get it all the time here. Its not an unusual occurence. If they were some type of flying objects, they wouldnt be picked up by weather watch radar.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Can you guys explain to a layman what a radar sweep shadow is?

How are they produced?

Why wouldn't a solid object be shown on a weather radar?

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Sorry for such a broad statement that left you hanging, lets see in layman terms:
The weather map you posted is basically covering all of the NE of America, so if a UFO did happen to fly into the beamwidth of the radar it would only show up as a blip on the screen, can you imagine looking at the size of this map a UFO would be less than a pinhead and then what UFO have you ever seen from all postings since we started posting UFO's does not have stealth capabilities, so forget the thought of seeing on a weather radar. What you see in your posting is the radar beam being reflected off of the clouds and as it approaches on another sweep it sees the dew that is just about forming into a cloud, which is why they need to turn down the gain to avoid seeing the clutter, I hope this helps.
gwhint

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Rain has a certain reflectivity which our radar technician calles "spicker" (which means flickering apparently). An mathematical algorithm is used in radars to block out any thing that is not spicker, so the radar will only pick up rain echos and automatically not register anything that doesnt resemble spicker. Hope that explains it

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Hey OzWeatherman,
Please when you can look at the posting by Digital_reality on the Texas siting and tell me what is your opinion on the weather radar view in the Breaking news section in ATS breaking news, ok.
Thanks, gwhint

[edit on 15-1-2008 by gwhint]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Why did my thread get moved to BTS if this guy was able to figure this out too?

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
West from Stephenville Texas toward midland. Radar from the morning of the sighting (supposedly).

Link

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join