It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Unschooling" the new method of education?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Oh, and my kids do socialize. More now than they did in public school. The difference is that THEY now decide who they want to spend time with, instead of being forced to interact with other kids day to day. If they don't have to worry about ramifications (and pressure) at school, they make better decisions about who their friends are and what they should and shouldn't do.

I also don't give grades. That might be a problem later when it's time for college transcripts, but for now they either know it and move on or are having problems and we continue to work on it. The idea is to learn, not pass. If they really put effort into something, contribute a lot to a discussion or reach a goal they get to pick something from the "Treat Bag". The Treat Bag is filled with gum, small candy, tattoos, and coupons to go towards bowling, movies, etc. It works very well, even for the older kids. I'm sure the treats don't mean as much to them, but it solidifies the recognition.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by inferno

For every one student who hates gym, there are 20 who love it.

Not the point of my thread, but all it takes is one my friend. And no I am not blaming them on gym class. Just saying it has the potential to open kids up for ridicule, which has an influence on self esteem. Low self esteem=depression=behavioral changes (sometimes drastic and unpredictable)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join