It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immodest Jesus statue riles Christians

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

Any real Christian wouldn't judge who or what a 'real Christian' is.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

Religion is only a means of instilling your most respected qualities onto a supreme being. Those who are violent in nature will identify God as a vengeful being who will punish those who step out of line. Those who are peaceful will portray him as loving. Those who are sexually repressed may place chaste qualities on their God and those who are over-sexualized will see a God of a free sexual nature.

From the other work I've seen from Terrence, it looks like he's definitely over-sexualized.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Why is it demeaning? Can anyone answer me this? I'm genuinely lost as to what makes this apparently so wildly offensive.

Well, just imagine yourself represented by having your genitalia wildly exaggerated, and the rest of you presented as basically unimportant. Would you feel properly symbolized?

I wouldn't mind one bit if someone made a statue of me and wildly exaggerated my genitalia (not that any sort of exaggeration is required...
)

Seriously though. If your offended by something on the TV, you get a warning not to watch, don't you? You get a warning at this display, so if your likely to be offended, don't go and look at it.

My GF is an artist and alot of what she considers art I find baffling. I like pictures of things, whereas she likes the abstract, peculiar stuff. I don't like alot of the art she likes, but I don't whinge about it like a little girl until it goes away. I will either not take notice of it, or if I do, at least see it for the Art it is, even if I don't like it.

What we don;t do is descend into a pissing contest and argue the toss over it, for at the end of the day, it is rather inconsequential.

Jesus had a wang. He also probably used it.

There is alot that is not accounted for in his life, so it is safe to assume that by the age of 33, he very probably had slept with a couple of women, possibly even prostitutes and most definitely spanked the monkey. Any man who says he doesn't or never has is lying.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
hey guys

this is terence koh

why are yous people so evil to me?

i made the sculpture so i could attract publicity so people would notice my work

what is wrong with trying to get that

i just want a chance for people to know my name and then maybe i will do more serious work after that

i have been trying to make a career as an artist for almost a decade now and if i am tired of working two part-time jobs so i can concentrate on my artwork and sell my artwork to get noticed hey a bit of publicity and some recognition i don't what is wrong

i am tired of being a struggling artist and all this publicity has been the best thing to happen to me

i might finally get a new york gallery because of this so i can show some serious pieces i have been thinking of over the ears

wish me luck, its a tough art world out there!

graciously
terence koh

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TERENCE KOH

Awesome!!

Thanks for joining and replying to this thread. As you can see, it's been a very controversial subject. There has been a lot of speculation, particularly on my part, as to what you meant by creating the statue. With you here, it may clarify some things.

One thing that I must point out is that art is subjective, and means things to different people. Personally, I've had a few takes on the piece (
).

Thanks for replying,

Ras

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

What we don;t do is descend into a pissing contest and argue the toss over it, for at the end of the day, it is rather inconsequential.

my wife and i are like this with our musical tastes....well, she feels this way about my musical tastes.....i am a frank zappa super freak. i have all of his original, official releases and hours upon hours of live shows.

now most people that have heard of frank really only know a few songs like jewish princess or dunah moe hum and that is the extent of it,
once you delve into it, it goes far, far deeper than that.
he used funky time signatures, strange lyrical phrases and umpteen different instruments to paint colors with.
this is basically all i listen to....for th emost part, she can not stand it and yeah, there is some stuff that would make people 'offended' but we don't get into it.
i play my stuff and if she is not in the mood to hear it i put the ear buds in...

what it does not do is turn into some big to do about this or that.
my musical taste is unique.

i like the avant garde' and i think that is to far 'out there' for her...

i dig zappa, beefheart and the magic band, buckethead, praxis, etc etc....in other words, NOT mainstream....

i just really don't see the big problem here...

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TERENCE KOH

why are yous people so evil to me?

i made the sculpture so i could attract publicity so people would notice my work

what is wrong with trying to get that

i just want a chance for people to know my name and then maybe i will do more serious work after that

i

people are evil cause they don't agree, don't support, or don't understand it. couple this with the fact that all the ones that are being evil are the religious folk on the board.....no suprise there as they are usually the first to judge.

i think it is fantastic that you created this to create publicity for your work and there is NOTHING wrong with that.
i hope you get to display more of your work....

tell you what...can you make a bust of frank zappa....just his head/face... out of clay or something that will harden...i will pay you for it.....i can't pay big bucks but i will pay you for your work.
we can call it more serious.

i support you in your ambitions for various reasons....i think censorship is #. i hate it. i want to be able to see whatever i want and it is just a bonus that is pisses off the religious folk...

btw, i am serious about the bust...i will post a few pics to show you what i mean....

edit*

you know, a bust

but maybe this pose

or if you paint or do charcoal....anything dude....i want to support you....i dig that you are willing to hang your balls out there for your art and if i can piss off some fundies, it's all good.

let me know....you can hit the u2u button on my posts and get to me in private if you want

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Boondock78]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TERENCE KOH

How did you find this thread?

And, excuse me if you really are you, but how do we know that you are you?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

How did you find this thread?

I had emailed him a link to the thread a few days ago.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
hello

yes this is the real terence koh

I AM FOR REAL, I AM TERENCE KOH

make no doubt about that

i like your idea of how to make the bust BOONDOCK and your suggestion to make it in charcoal

i want to get a chance to do something not so shocking and something real you know

like of real people but also by making you aren't i reflecting a zeitgeist of mirroring an individual against the greater cultural mirror of our society

you should contact my gallery

www.peresprojects.com

i have art work there

i need to start making some money god damn it

yours
TERENCE KOH

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This thread should get interesting then....

The artist who created the Jesus Penis, and the crowd of god botherers who would see freedom of speech and expression die a death just because they can see a wang....

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

hey stumason. here is an email Terence sent to me as well. Must be him IMO
if i am wrong then I am a sucker.

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:38:31 -0500
Subject: Re: controversial art
To:
hello b

"i posted a reply in the thread

i hope it helps

i really just want to get my name out there you know

i am tired of being a struggling artist"

yours
terence

deleted name and email so no sharing out there. please and thank you.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
so with that, thank you terence for the email. Too bad you do not know what the outcome if any there will be with your statue. If posting this thread helps you out, that is great. I hope you get more attention. As an artist, I am sure you have to know that there will be good and bad attention whether it is a few religious folks with their panties in a bunch or even if it is just a bad review from a critic. But isn't that a chance you take no matter what your work entails? I am not an artist of any sorts myself, but I do have a few abstract paintings throughout my house and I have heard all comments, good and bad. You just have to keep with what your heart tells you and roll with it. Good luck with your quest.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
They've removed the 10 commandments from public places in the US because a couple of atheists complained that they were offended, what's the difference?..

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Amen to that bro!

One thing I would want to know Terrence,
What were you doing to that statue to get 'bodily fluids' on it??? And Why????

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by vivalarevolution

When did that happen? If you could show me a related article or something that would be great.

And to clearskies:

One thing I would want to know Terrence,
What were you doing to that statue to get 'bodily fluids' on it??? And Why????

Why would you want to know that? And would the answer change your opinion on the artwork?

[edit on 1/24/2008 by palehorse23]

[edit on 1/24/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

i made the sculpture so i could attract publicity so people would notice my work what is wrong with trying to get that... i have been trying to make a career as an artist for almost a decade... i am tired of being a struggling artist... its a tough art world out there!

Oh, how fun. Am I allowed to post tongue-in-cheek comments? Sure, why not. Let's have some fun with each other as human beings. I know a sure way to get some world wide attention. Thought about doing a statue of Mohammad using the same likeness? You'll be all over the news. They say most artists are not famous until after their death. Like Van Gogh. Creating a statue of Mohammad using the same method would almost certainly boost you to said status sooner than you could name a stuffed animal "Mohammad."

Yes, I'm a snot but I fully admit it.

[edit on 1/25/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

i need to start making some money god damn it

No prob, just slap a big floppy weiner on the Madonna and call it a day. You'll have plenty of fans (as you can see).

Sad

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

The artist who created the Jesus Penis, and the crowd of god botherers who would see freedom of speech and expression die a death just because they can see a wang....

*shrug* Nobody in here has called for censorship, not even the outwardly religious posters in this thread.

I mentioned this about 5 times in the past X+ pages and yet you people continue to prattle on.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

I have already tried to bring this to your attention. It states in the article in the original post of page one calling for the statues destruction. Thats as censored as it gets. Are you saying that we should not stand against censorship?

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join