It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immodest Jesus statue riles Christians

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Would you mind keeping to the topic? Address it, not the other members.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver

Get a %#&ing clue and go educate yourselves.

^^^^more cursing from the good christian...
bwuahahahahaha

edit*
i am reading your posts from this thread and you say about 100 times "it is just shock art"
"it is dumb"
"it is shock art, the end"

we catch the drift....it is shock art.
AND.............

[edit on 16-1-2008 by Boondock78]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

'shock art' is still art.
sculpters, musicians, painters, etc all have the right to put their 'stupid shock art' out there

That's great buddy. Maybe now you lot can agree that NONE OF US HAVE CALLED FOR CENSORSHIP.

Not a single person in here has called for the censorship of this art. And we KNOW it's shockart. We've been saying that for how many pages?

Now that you can finally admit it: maybe admit this: NOBODY IN HERE HAS CALLED FOR CENSORSHIP!

Seriously, you're waging an imaginary battle against your imaginary enemies, a stereotypical extremist religious group that DOES NOT EXIST and IS NOT IN THIS THREAD.

So are you going to get this through your heads, or are you going to keep bringing up the same tired anti-religious stereotypical sentiments?

I don't really need to ask that question, I know the answer and I've seen it progress through this entire thread. It's tiresome at this point and the only people left doing it are a handful of you who quite obviously are out to spit on religious censorship that doesn't exist.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

That's great buddy. Maybe now you lot can agree that NONE OF US HAVE CALLED FOR CENSORSHIP.

well, it is gonna take a few but i will go back through this thread...i'm sure i can find where one of your buddy's have called for it's destruction or something of the sort.

edit* i am still looking through but it's hard to sift through your posts what with all the cursing...hahahahaha

you have not called for it to be censored from what i have seen but you have stated in multiple posts that 'nobody wants to see it'.....thing is, I want to see it. the sculpter wanted to see it. thats enough for me...

[edit on 16-1-2008 by Boondock78]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

^^^^more cursing from the good christian...
bwuahahahahaha

Dude.... *sigh*

How many times have I stated that I don't consider myself Christian?

How many times?

This just proves that you lot aren't even reading the thread but you're just out to fight with 'christians' which is so completely transparent that I saw it from page one.

Read the thread, stick to the topic, and don't try and paint me as a Christian just so you have an easier target

This is childsplay.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

This just proves that you lot aren't even reading the thread but you're just out to fight with 'christians' which is so completely transparent that I saw it from page one.

i always read the thread....always....if it is a long thread i might post before i read it all but then i go back and read every page...
also, i'm not the one getting hit with the red tags...

you're not christian....ok. i apologize for saying so. this is an 18 page long thread and i am posting in others too.
seems i have got confused....

clarify for me though....
what 'category' do you fit in?

please and thanks

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

well, it is gonna take a few but i will go back through this thread...i'm sure i can find where one of your buddy's have called for it's destruction or something of the sort.

edit* i am still looking through but it's hard to sift through your posts what with all the cursing...hahahahaha

Uh huh. Keep throwing your dirt at me and dodging the real issue. Nobody in here has called for censorship or destruction and you're not going to find any examples.

People have said that Christians have a right to ask for censorship. That's the biggiest doggy-treat you're going to find I'm afraid.

NOBODY IN HERE HAS CALLED FOR CENSORSHIP OR DESTRUCTION

So are you going to keep mentioning MY posts or are you going to concede to the topic at hand?

I already know the answer....

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

the topic at hand is this statue riles christians...i already concede that. after all, it's the title of the thread....as far as mentioning your posts, it depends on what i come across.

are you gonna answer me?
if you don't fit in the christian category, which one do you fit in?
you know, what with the profane language and circumventing the censors and all, i'm just curious.

was that the answer you already knew?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

i always read the thread....always....if it is a long thread i might post before i read it all but then i go back and read every page...
also, i'm not the one getting hit with the red tags...

clarify for me though....
what 'category' do you fit in?

I could care less about these little red tags
This is the internet.

I don't fit into any category, I believe in spirituality and I think religion for some people is a stepping stone towards spiritual realization. I don't believe that the majority of religious people have a clue where their spirituality lies, so it's easy for them to get caught up in stuff like jesus-penis statues.

If you'll notice, plenty of people religious, atheist, etc. have pointed out that it's shock-art and Christians have a right to be offended etc. I just happened to agree, and I like to defend Christians because they get slandered alll the time.

That was the real issue of this thread to me, religious stereotyping and telling people what their opinion should be on shock-art. I think we should give real Christians a chance, and it seems they've already said it's just silly and they don't much care.

So why am I still in here? I guess that's my queue.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I could care less about these little red tags
This is the internet.

Fine, we'll go with something you might care about. Get back to me when you are feeling less disruptive.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Its in the article on page one in the original post calling for its destruction. I NEVER said anyone in here said it. Its on page one. Sooooo are you saying we shouldnt fight censorship? Since we are opposed to censorship were stupid? At least Ive chosen a side. Where do you stand?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Why would it bother some and not others?

Personal feelings/sentiments.

I could hold up a rock...portray it to mean many things in my mind. It could even be a 'pet' (Malheursemant/unfortuneatly the copy-right went out to an individual back in the 70's)

How we present our feelings via inanimate substances, will untimately present/challenge the human-mindset.

This way...or THAT.

i,e.

These intrinsic subjects are 'sometimes' shoved into the for-front of our discernings.

What we 'feel' to be artwork, may/maynot take a permanent stance with the 'gendre'.

It isn't up to YOU or ME, to passionately re-produce examples of artists works.

We are on the side-lines (interviewing our own thoughts as to 'what is' or isn't')

In my opinion?

The most respectable judge is one who can 'introspect' on previous portrayed opinions, and yet contain oneself to include 'unbiased' opinions that may or may not subscrbe to the general popluous, but is VALID for ALL.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Blimey, is this still going?

It's a statue.
It may be tasteless to some, offensive to others, but thats not the point.

Ever heard of damien hirst?
He's made a career out of shock art and more power to him.
Personally, I don't think that dead animals cut in half and pickled in formaldehyde are art - but that's just MY opinion.

Nobody forces me to go and see it, so I couldn't care less.

Same with this statue.
At the end of the day, people who get riled up about this sort of thing need to get out more IMO - there are far more serious things in the world that need addressing.

Statues - bah, who cares.

[edit on 16/1/2008 by budski]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

It's shock art and you people seem to think because it has a religious nature that it's somehow exceptional or worthwhile.

Since he keeps asking where did anyone ask for its destruction, I have to ask, "When did anyone here say that it was exceptional?" I haven't seen anyone say they like this statue. We are debating why people, Chrisitans in particular as the article states, find it offensive. Man, hopefully someone does something about this guy. Tired of the same post from him post after post. Sorry, but it is killing me over here. Even if you are not Christian, why are you offended by it? That is what I want to know.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Do you have any examples of Christians blowing up ancient statues? Do you have any examples of Christians murdering people because of a cartoon?

Sure,

Starting in 1494 Christians all but destroyed all indigenous art in south and central America because it was blasphemous against God. They also violently murdered anyone who attempted to defend it. This included women and children.

There was also the Goa Inquisition in which Hindu art was destroyed and people murdered in Jesus's name.

So yes, Christianity does have a history of destroying art it deems blasphemous, just as Islam does. So I guess there's no surprise here.

And this is not a rant against Christians, it's more of a history lesson, and a description of the continuation of a distinctly oppressive culture.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I am curious as to how having a boner that god supposedly designed villifies jesus?

These offended parties should lead by example and remove their penises if they are so evil.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Hey Ras and others interested in an update from the artist. I too emailed him and his response was this, and I quote, "I am not sure what is happening with the statue at this time. No one ever seems to tell me anything." He also included in the email the exact same statement that Ras posted previously that "if you are praying for me, thank you I need it......" Almost as if he includes it in all his email responses. Pretty unusual.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

PH,

Reading the response he sent me leads me to believe that he didn't necessarily do this as shock art or in an offensive manner. He seems to be genuinely thankful for the prayers and at one point says in response to a woman, and I quote:

Deer Margaret

Thank you so much for praying for me.

I deeply appreciate it and need it.

I know that I have sinned greatly and myself have prayed in private recently for the forgiveness of what I have done.

I only hope the Lord will forgive me as he is full of generosity and spirit.

Yours Truly
Terence Koh

Does that sound like someone looking to shock and vilify God? It sounds to me like he may have actually been looking to praise Jesus in his own way, and was surprised and upset when he realized it could be taken the wrong way. Even realizing his own sin and asking for forgiveness. That does not necessarily mean it was a sin mind you, just that he was convinced later that it was one.

BTW, if a gallery purchased the piece from him he would no longer have any rights to it, and they could keep it on display as long as they wished.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yeah I have to agree, that does not exactly seem like how someone would react if they were doing it for the shock value.

From the tone of the email I am guessing it was an attempt at an artistic religious statement that was misunderstood.

Good work there getting the story from the horse's mouth Rasobasi420

[edit on 1/17/08 by xmotex]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If you saying that was what the artist wrote. Than even he saw what was wrong with what he made. To protray Jesus as lustful or horney is wrong. And the art should not be there. Any real christian should see the wrong in protraying this art.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join