It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The True Cost (in casualties) Of War In Iraq.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
..............and are the figures being manipulated?

More than 11,000 medical evacuees have come through Andrews in the past nine months, the Air Force says.

Most, we suspect, from Iraq. But that's 8,000 more than the Pentagon says have been wounded there.

The Pentagon lists 2,604 wounded in action and just 408 "non-hostile wounded".

President Bush may have declared major combat operations in Iraq over ten months ago, but fresh planeloads of wounded soldiers continue to fly into Andrews Air Force base every week, unseen by most Americans.

For full story:

www.channel4.com...

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yeah and this does piss me off, especially being a medic out here. Bush can declare what ever he wants but I'll tell you straight up, major combat ain't over. Good post John Bull

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
this is a very confusing issue, there are different numbers being reported by different agencies and news media. How can anyone know or be sure of the exact number and whose numbers should we really believe is beyond me?

American Casualties in Iraq

Total wounded: 3025
Last Updated February 11th, 2004

I found this on the web at
www.antiwar.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
All I can add is this.That Channel 4 News is one of the most respected news sources in the UK.To my mind the best and most imformative,better than the BBC.

This story was on their TV News last night.

In the piece that I've linked to it says.

"We were the first foreign TV crew to film at Walter Reed Army Medical Center since the invasion of Iraq one year ago."

I'm sure Medic will confirm their are many who do not count in the Pentagon figures such as suicides,vehical accidents,and PTS sufferers(and other psychological problems).Also there may be people coming from Afghanistan.

That said we are talking about four times the figures provided by the Pentagon.That is a big discrepancy.I'm not in a position to comment really.I'm just sharing the imfo.

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Of course they are keeping the numbers down, and I can't even remember seeing one picture of a dead soldier in Iraq. Yet the government and the media held high the pictures of Saddam's dead sons in a sickening kind of pride.

If people knew the true extent as to how regularly bodies bags are being shipped back, even the ignorant ones might begin to question the reasons of this war and ask if it's worth it.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Worldwatcher.

If you add the "2,604 wounded in action and just 408 "non-hostile wounded" from the original post you get 3,012 which is very close to the 3025 in your post.Allowing for the figures I posted being one or two days out I would say that they were from the same original source,The Pentagon.

The over 11,000 figure is for medical evacuees flown in through Andrews in the last 9 months which is after the conflict was declared over and not including those injured when the conflict was still officially going on.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by medic
Yeah and this does piss me off, especially being a medic out here. Bush can declare what ever he wants but I'll tell you straight up, major combat ain't over. Good post John Bull

Is that you in that picture Medic?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Yeah, it is. I took it right as we came into camp Mullskinner after a convoy, in the passengerside mirror. I thought it turned out pretty cool. Check my site. I got more pics n stuff.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Oh, your picture does look neat, a true soldier, with all of the equipment on. I hope your mission in Iraq goes well.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Any channel which shows pron mainstream on a friday night doesnt deserve to be called Respectable, and as any british person knows, they are a very smutty channel with crud programs.
I think you'll find the descrepancy will be mainly due to stress, smaller injuries, accidents, non-combat related injuries, etc

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Even after Desert Storm was "over"...we were firing plenty of missiles into Iraq. Usually a carrier and group offloads ordinance when heading home. Not back then. It was all fired during "peace".

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
Any channel which shows pron mainstream on a friday night doesnt deserve to be called Respectable, and as any british person knows, they are a very smutty channel with crud programs.
I think you'll find the descrepancy will be mainly due to stress, smaller injuries, accidents, non-combat related injuries, etc

You'll see I said "News Source" and not Channel.The 7pm Channel 4 News is the best TV News in the UK followed closely by BBC's Newsnight. Jon Snow is easily the equal of Jeremy Paxman or John Humphries (Radio 4's Today).I have no idea what Pron Mainstream is.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I am sure that there are a good number of non-combat injuries. I know from experience that men get injured all the time for a variety of stupid or normal reasons.

ZED, you got rid of the awesome pic you had? I like the old dude. He was cool.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Of course they are keeping the numbers down, and I can't even remember seeing one picture of a dead soldier in Iraq. Yet the government and the media held high the pictures of Saddam's dead sons in a sickening kind of pride.

If people knew the true extent as to how regularly bodies bags are being shipped back, even the ignorant ones might begin to question the reasons of this war and ask if it's worth it.

You haven't seen any pictures of dead soldiers because Bush won't let the media show them. It's illegal.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
If everyone is upset about deaths and casualties then stop encouraging the Iraqi's and commies and Russians and Euros and Muslims et al, to keep fighting then. Simple solution to the problem.

Tell them the resolve in the US is total and they have no hope of winning. Get it over. But now the constant whining and nipping at the heals just encourages these freaks to keep stabbing in the back where they were too much cowards to look them eye to eye.

May the deaths and injuries be partly on your backs too like they are on everyone elses.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
If everyone is upset about deaths and casualties then stop encouraging the Iraqi's and commies and Russians and Euros and Muslims et al, to keep fighting then. Simple solution to the problem.

I believe we were talking about the US government lying about the number of casualties and deaths coming from Iraq.

I noticed you didn't include the US in that list, which is strange considering they seem to be the ones that like starting fights.

Man for a republican you are really bad at twisting peoples words and changing the subject without people noticing. I have seen you try to do that a few times today. You can't defend a blatant lie, so you try to create a new truth to bury the lie.
The problem is unlike many of your fellow Republicans you're just not very good at it. I suggest they throw you out of the club.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Um, Browha,

Soldiers do not get sent home for minor injuries. John Bull's number refers to major injuries and deaths. Spraining an ankle, or breaking a bone does not get you sent home. Losing a leg, or contracting a deadly illness, or severe mental breakdown, thats what gets you sent home.

John Bull, I am very irritated by Bush's descision not to allow reporters to film returning caskets and coffins of American soldiers killed there. I think that is the slimiest thing he has done. Americans need to have the ward dead and mutilated rubbed into thier fat piggy faces every night at dinner so it will be impossible for them to be removed from the real suffering. Remind them that thier kid is over there, could be dead. The casualities list is but another way Bush and his goons are trying to hide and save thier asses, with all the ammo being fired thier way, his approval ratings going down. His progress in Iraq is costing not only lives, but when those soldiers return home, they shall have numerous cases of shellshock and nightmares to burden thier sleep with, not to mention, the lack of jobs waiting here at home for them. The septic tank gets fuller and fuller.

top topics

join