It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is love?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I can never have a wife.

Thats the first thing you have said that I believe

But hey questforsaftey sounds interested

Sorry I could not help it

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Love is a concept I tried to convince my self I could live with out, after having been hurted and having hurt people...

What a pathetic lie... I'll never be able too. I'll probably kill my self trying to.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Well Bam, your last post makes me believe you are gay. You won't get flamed for that. I have no problem with homosexuality. But would you stand up for your partner, that is the point.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Lilblam, interesting points. There are more than one thread on this. On the other I deal with politics, on this one I deal with the way things are. It is not my job to take care of a neighbor, it's his. I am not talking about society here, I'm talking about my family, which includes 2 girls under 10. Anyone fu(ks with my family, Pray.

And I understand this, I have no "problem" with anything you do to anyone as a reaction to harm to your family. In fact, I'd probably do the same thing (though I don't know, and I hope I don't). But I understand how powerful emotion can be and that my rational thought might be temporarily disabled. But I am learning to control myself in any situation, and to *always* THINK before I act.

Also, I understand it is not your job to defend that which belongs to your neighbor (again, that damn word.. possession). When you say it is "your wife", that's fine. But you do realise that you don't own anyone, no matter how overprotective or defensive you feel. Doesn't matter if you have a "lease" for your property or what not, you don't REALLY own your house. In the eyes of the government you do, for legal purposes. But seriously, you don't own a single atom outside your own body... and even that you don't really own. It is absolutely outside your control, no matter how much you would try to assure yourself that you have control over things in your life.

But the connection you share with your family, the attachment you feel, and the instinctive defensiveness you feel are all part of your emotions, hence "feel". The mind will try to rationalize such emotion as "decent" or "normal" or "right", but it is simply grasping at straws in its attempt to persuade YOU that this is what you should indeed do.

There is no real logic behind this! You don't have those feelings for some stranger, and that's rationalized as "cuz I don't love him, and he's not part of my family".

But despite all our rationalizations of the daily things we do/feel/think, is it really so "horrible" to try to avoid violating other people's free will, and allowing people to experience that which comes to them, WITHOUT attachments?

For example, could our society function without the attachments, but rather with cooperation of all, and simply giving to others and in turn getting back what you give as the OTHERS give to you, and everyone else as well. Instead of a pleasure-seeking service to self society. It seems that not only would it function, it would be exponentially more progress-oriented, and we would've been traveling the stars a LONG "time" ago.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
You really do not understand do you? You never will it seems. So, to your wife you have nothing more to offer than being a form of bloody vengance. A person would much more want care, compassion, and comfort. Especially after an event like being raped.

Amuk, I cannot believe you sometimes, just because I expressed interest in the belief he follows, since he displayed it in a fine manner.

I am not even going to respond to your comment on thinking I am homosexual. Do you think to have compassion and restraint one must be homosexual? This is untrue, heterosexual males can also be good to their families, and not be snarling savages, with only posessive thoughts.

Of course I would stand up for any partner, or even any person, or people's who must be defended.

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by QuestForSafety]

link   

Well Bam, your last post makes me believe you are gay. You won't get flamed for that. I have no problem with homosexuality. But would you stand up for your partner, that is the point.

Not gay. Would you stand up for a stranger (guy) on the street as much as you'd stand up for a young girl on the street? See, you take HER life in your hands, and decide it is YOUR responsibility to defend HER, and you are less defensive of some 300 pound gorilla-dude thinking "nah he can handle himself" even if he gets his ass kicked as much as the little girl would.

All a matter of perspective, but no real logic behind it! There are many influences that would force you to think one way or another, but you're not "thinking rationally" you're simply reacting on a whim in either situation..

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by lilblam]

link   
Love is simply a feeling, an emotion you feel for someone. Its easily explained that way IMO.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam

Not gay. Would you stand up for a stranger (guy) on the street as much as you'd stand up for a young girl on the street? See, you take HER life in your hands, and decide it is YOUR responsibility to defend HER, and you are less defensive of some 300 pound gorilla-dude thinking "nah he can handle himself" even if he gets his ass kicked as much as the little girl would.

All a matter of perspective, but no real logic behind it! It's all emotion-based...

No logicially it would be to protect the girl because of her smaller and less experienced mindset. If you actually went over to protect the 300 lb man over the little girl it would be emotionally based. Logic says you protect the weaker of the two, and while it isnt 100% accurate it does come forth in the action of believing the little girl is weaker and with genuine correctness.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
WTF. Dude we've already taken care of the fact that nobody owns anything, really. See the thread. Sorry dude, I don't live in the middle ages.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

See, you take HER life in your hands, and decide it is YOUR responsibility to defend HER,

Yep thats about the size of it any REAL man would protect his wife or kids

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Saying a young girl has a less experienced mindset is rather unfair, he was just trying to make a point, and specified no mental capacity ratings.

The young often have more intelligence than the old, and should be treated equally.

As for you, yes you claimed you never thought you owned anything, but your actions of what you would do say otherwise, they spell domination rather than relationship.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

See, you take HER life in your hands, and decide it is YOUR responsibility to defend HER,

Yep thats about the size of it any REAL man would protect his wife or kids

And what defines what a real man is? Society. Too bad so many of us are simply "social drones".

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
No logicially it would be to protect the girl because of her smaller and less experienced mindset. If you actually went over to protect the 300 lb man over the little girl it would be emotionally based. Logic says you protect the weaker of the two, and while it isnt 100% accurate it does come forth in the action of believing the little girl is weaker and with genuine correctness.

Ok, but why protect anyone? Are you suddenly the defender of all that's small and innocent? Would you defend an ant that's being stepped on? A tree that's being chopped? A little white bunny that is being viciously eaten alive by a wolf? Being a human you think humans are "special" in some way and deserve your defense. And what happens if you do NOT defend the girl and she dies? What REALLY happens besides YOU feeling GUILTY... nothing! Just another dead creature that was previously alive. Nothing happens besides your own morally-induced guilt. And that morality is taught to you by society.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

And what defines what a real man is? Society. Too bad so many of us are simply "social drones".

I am a hillbilly biker that lives waaaaaay back in the woods I am real concerened with what society thinks, it would be easier to listion to your drivel if you had a clue what you were talking about

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Amuk has his own interpretation of what a real man is, everyone has different perceptions of things. His happens to be savage and deviational, probably it does not fit into the mainstream vision of a "real" man. Truly there is no stereotype of a male of course that is written in stone, a male can be whatever he wants to.

link   
Then what are you doing on the Internet, the ULTIMATE social scene?

link   

Ok, but why protect anyone?

Spoken like a true coward, I guess I cant blame you if I was that way I would just watch too

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Then what are you doing on the Internet, the ULTIMATE social scene?

Right now having a blast how about you

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuestForSafety
Amuk has his own interpretation of what a real man is, everyone has different perceptions of things. His happens to be savage and deviational, probably it does not fit into the mainstream vision of a "real" man. Truly there is no stereotype of a male of course that is written in stone, a male can be whatever he wants to.

And if society switched the roles... then the same thing can be said about a "real woman" who defends her man. It's just words and concepts.. that are relative/subjective.

Would you for example defend a gangster that you saw on the street getting attacked by another gangster? (both have knives etc... but you have a gun). What in your mind separates one living creature from another, and would attribute more importance to defend one than another? What is that exactly, could someone locate that part that says "this is more important to defend than that"?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Truly there is no stereotype of a male of course that is written in stone, a male can be whatever he wants to.

Keep telling your self that skippy

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join