It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is love?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I defend what's mine, or you could say that I defend what was given me. Quest,, you and Bam got to get off the shelf.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Ok, but why protect anyone?

Spoken like a true coward, I guess I cant blame you if I was that way I would just watch too

You speak English right? Welcome to society. If you grew up living in the woods with the animals, guess what?

A wolf does not protect cubs of another wolf either. Only the cubs SHE possesses as she's attached and instinctively preserving the life that SHE created. You'd simply act on instinct, and there is no instinct that makes you automatically defend a random living creature against another random living creature, unless YOU decide that you must interfere.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

What in your mind separates one living creature from another, and would attribute more importance to defend one than another? What is that exactly, could someone locate that part that says "this is more important to defend than that"?

The fact that I care about one and dont give a # about the other

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

What in your mind separates one living creature from another, and would attribute more importance to defend one than another? What is that exactly, could someone locate that part that says "this is more important to defend than that"?

The fact that I care about one and dont give a # about the other

So you only defend that which you care about? And why do you care for one and not the other? Answer that honestly...

So it's like "yes that girl is getting killed... but she is not MY daughter.. what do I care?"

The point is.. why defend anyone at all? If you do, it's for selfish reasons (like you said, cuz I care about that one and don't give a # about the other), and no other reason.

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   

You'd simply act on instinct, and there is no instinct that makes you automatically defend a random living creature against another random living creature, unless YOU decide that you must interfere.

What part of I dont give a # about any other than my family do you not understand?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You'd simply act on instinct, and there is no instinct that makes you automatically defend a random living creature against another random living creature, unless YOU decide that you must interfere.

What part of I dont give a # about any other than my family do you not understand?

Great thanks. Like I said, we ignorantly defend our attachments like we own them, because we don't want to "lose" them since that would unattach us from them, and losing attachments sucks! Case closed I guess

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Lib, I understand your point of view and it does have some bearings behind it. But the thought of us protecting our own is not only implanted into our minds but many others as well. Do you see a Lion feeding a baby seal, a seal feeding a ostrich or a tree which is a inanimate object protecting a flower. The facto of the matter is we breed our own and tend to protect the weakest and that is unique in humans because other species have the theory of leave the weakest behind.

We with our advanced thinking skills look for ways to not let the weakest behind but to let them join us equally. And for whoever said that young people have the same intelligence as older people, I tend to disagree for the most part. Not because they dont have the abilty to be as smart, but life experiences teach us a whole helluva lot and the older you get the more experiences you have for the most part. This is not true 100% of the time, but definately the majority.

Does it mean that I will take someones opinion who is younger than me with a static of doubt, no...But as far as facts and experience I tend to believe older people have the edge. Im not trying to discriminate because I am only 25 and look more like 18 so I get that age # all the time, but to some bearings it does hold true. I think exceptions also can be had when it comes to a certain job or duty at hand, what worked when some old folk was young wont work as well as what some young folk now can know. I hope that makes sense.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well.................DUH! Thanks. Because we can funtion as animals, taking care of our own, doesn't make us animals, another turn. What could you do? Or do I have to take care of you to?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Because they are my family

Being a 4th density space man I can see where you would not understand this but it is human, and I am not so afraid of my humanity that I have to hide behind my 4th density playmates, I accept it

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Great thanks. Like I said, we ignorantly defend our attachments like we own them, because we don't want to "lose" them since that would unattach us from them, and losing attachments sucks! Case closed I guess

Or maybe just maybe we defend those we care about and seeing some one hurt them is worth running the chance of getting hurt yourself instead of cowering in the corner and watching someone rape your wife because the cassiopians woulkdnt like you interfering in her rapists free will

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You accept your own twisted perception of humanity. It is people like you who think women should not be payed equal, who should not have the right to work, should stay at home.

However women have overcome, women can be anything they want. Just like men can, despite your own strange views. You only believe men are stuck in one role since you cannot imagine being anything else. Merely due to your toxic reaction to testosterone, most males are capable of compassion.

Now, seeing as I must be going, any reply to whatever crude comments I am expecting may be tomorrow or later.

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by QuestForSafety]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Normally, I would fight for you too. Would you fight for me? Here is an interesting thing. I'm willing to go there, are you? And what do you have to bring?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

It is people like you who think women should not be payed equal, who should not have the right to work, should stay at home.

Just because I would protect my family? where did I say that?

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
Lib, I understand your point of view and it does have some bearings behind it. But the thought of us protecting our own is not only implanted into our minds but many others as well. Do you see a Lion feeding a baby seal, a seal feeding a ostrich or a tree which is a inanimate object protecting a flower. The facto of the matter is we breed our own and tend to protect the weakest and that is unique in humans because other species have the theory of leave the weakest behind.

We with our advanced thinking skills look for ways to not let the weakest behind but to let them join us equally. And for whoever said that young people have the same intelligence as older people, I tend to disagree for the most part. Not because they dont have the abilty to be as smart, but life experiences teach us a whole helluva lot and the older you get the more experiences you have for the most part. This is not true 100% of the time, but definately the majority.

Does it mean that I will take someones opinion who is younger than me with a static of doubt, no...But as far as facts and experience I tend to believe older people have the edge. Im not trying to discriminate because I am only 25 and look more like 18 so I get that age # all the time, but to some bearings it does hold true. I think exceptions also can be had when it comes to a certain job or duty at hand, what worked when some old folk was young wont work as well as what some young folk now can know. I hope that makes sense.

But why is this protection? Because we know what it is like to be in a situation of helplessness, and don't want to let others who are weaker be subjected to this situation, right? We want others to be as happy as possible, as we KNOW what pain is like. Ok...

But once again, trying to remove negative experiences from others cuts them off from important lessons in life, that WILL protect them in the future if allowed to happen. Being overprotected makes the creature (person or animal) oblivious to danger!

Also, animals can grow attachments and have emotions as well, so it's not always "society" that tells you what to do, though it's a major influence at least for humans. Of course, let's not forget, there are people who enjoy pain and such. That simply shows that happiness is subjective and can be achieved no matter what the situation is.. if seen from a different perspective.

For example, saving someone from falling off a bridge could mean you just let a potential future serial killer live. You only know the immediate result and the rush of "satisfaction" in your mind that you did "good". But you can never really know what it is you did! Remember during Clinton years, Clinton had a chance to get Bin Laden but chose not to? Well, if Bin Laden IS indeed responsible for 9/11, that "sympathy" cost 3000 people their lives.

Once again, interference with the free will of others, and with the natural process of the world, is simply serving your own desire to protect and mold the world to what you would want it to be. Pain and suffering are a VERY important part of the world, and teach many important lessons (obviously!). And the urge to prevent each individual one may sometimes be strong, but one must remember that it is simply your perspective and your own selfish idea that this situation should not be allowed to occur that makes you protect someone.

It's a mix of socially-induced morality, selfishness, and wanting others to be "happy" based on what YOU personally understand happiness to be. But all does not mould to anyone's individual perspective...

So all I am saying is, the immediate action that seems "good" in the short run, can have absolutely unpredictable and possibly extremely negative consequences in the longer term.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Sorry, I didn't read your response. Could you keep it under 1,000,000 words? That's called paraphrasing.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

But once again, trying to remove negative experiences from others cuts them off from important lessons in life, that WILL protect them in the future if allowed to happen. Being overprotected makes the creature (person or animal) oblivious to danger!

Keeping your wife from being raped is cutting her off from an important lesson?

Dude you are sick

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Keeping your wife from being raped is cutting her off from an important lesson?

Dude you are sick

That's your perspective. Maybe next time when you're not around, she will react better and kick the # out of the person trying this again? But if you protect her THIS time, next time when you're not around she would again expect "intervention" from an outside source, but may not be so "lucky".

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
So all I am saying is, the immediate action that seems "good" in the short run, can have absolutely unpredictable and possibly extremely negative consequences in the longer term.

It can also be incredibly good in the long term. Its called taking a risk. You take a risk when you dont save the person either. If a woman was going to jump off a bridge, and you didnt save her, she might have later given birth to someone who would save the world from nuclear explosion. See what I mean?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Maybe next time when you're not around, she will react better and kick the # out of the person trying this again?

So are you saying that it would be her fault for being raped? If she had reacted better it would not have happened?

I repeat dude you are sick

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion

Originally posted by lilblam

It can also be incredibly good in the long term. Its called taking a risk. You take a risk when you dont save the person either. If a woman was going to jump off a bridge, and you didnt save her, she might have later given birth to someone who would save the world from nuclear explosion. See what I mean?

Yup, so you take a risk and decide that a 50/50 chance of destruction or salvation of the world is worth it if I just stop this woman from falling. But again, you're simply interfering!

And now think, she fell, and you did nothing. What happens next? Seriously, does anything happen at all besides your own mind feeling guilt? But that's self-induced guilt based on your rationalization that it was "right" and "good" to save her, so therefore you must be "wrong" and "bad" if you don't. But otherwise, life goes on, nothing really happens! Only in your mind!

But also, if she falls off a bridge and you had no way to access her and therefore KNOW you cannot do anything to save her (not can you call for help, you're stuck somewhere too), you do not feel guilt. You'll simply move on with your life.. with a more stable mental state

So it's all in your mind... there is no "reason" to interfere with ANYONE's existance at all until you tell yourself there is, and if you don't that's somehow "bad".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join