It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New rifle for my b-day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
My b-day is coming up and I'm going to get myself something nice.

I've recently acquired a fascination for pistol caliber carbines but have carried a longing desire for an M4 in 6.8. Also some sort of FAL/G3 type would be nice.

I know sooner or later I'll end up with all three but geez, which to get first?

Most likely it will be a PCC because my indoor range doesn't allow rifle rounds so I'm more likely to shoot it more often than I would an M4 or FAL.

My choices are: CX4, Kel-Tec Sub or Hi-Point.

Anybody have experience with these? Pro's Con's? Caliber preference?

I'm 9mm would be the most versatile as well as least expensive to shoot.
If it's good enough for the cops and their MP5's it's good enough for my home and some target fun.

It's just so hard to decide. PCC, M4 or FAL.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I like the concept of having a rifle/carbine and pistol combination in the same caliber. For me it was the lever action rifle in .38/357magnum caliber. I found this combination to be very nice and quick handling.

If 9mm is that for which you are accustomed to go with it. I am not a proponent of the 9mm but once again if it is that to which you are accustomed..by all means. 9mm like .38/357 is a very common caliber and readily to be found.

I will not recommend which piece for you to purchase but only recommend that you research them well for reliability, features and of course affordability. Also my experience has been limited to the above caliber and of course the .22 long rifle in both pistol and long gun.

I reload 38/357 so it is not a problem for me. Lots of .38/357 brass once fired to be found at the range in the spent brass bin. Lots of 9mm for that matter.

I also like the concept of the 6.8 mm in the new rifles, sepecially the AR type. I think caliber wise it is a significant improvement over the 5.56mm. The problem I have with it is that it is not that readily available as is 5.56mm. Were I to choose a chambering for 6.8mm or the 6.5mm I would definitely stock up on brass and primers/powder to reload for the same.

I currently have about 3000 once fired cases of 5.56mm put away. Same with powder and primer.

If you choose a caliber like this I recommend you look into reloading. I dont know the availability of this caliber in most sporting or ammunition stores on the street. I believe most people using this caliber order though the mail.

As to the FAL/G3 type rifles. I believe they come today in both 5.56mm as well as 7.62x51mm. Both very common calibers around here so ammunition would be easier to obtain. Commercially I believe 7.62x51 goes by the name .308 Winchester.

If you choose something like 6.8mm or 6.5mm I suggest you look into this site for ammunition and reloading suppliles. You can purchase other ammunition types here as well and in large quantitys.

www.midwayusa.com...

They sell most of the items you need for both ammunition and reloading though there are many more sources on line from which to choose. Another site I sometimes brouse is...

buy.cheaperthandirt.com...

They are not as extensively stocked for reloading as is Midway but it is a source. As I stated there are many others. Just search the web.

By the way...my gun club also does not allow rifle calibers to be shot indoors either...that is with the exception of the .22 long rifle. Not a problem with rifle calibers on the outdoor range....with the exception of the 50 BMGs that is.

Hope you enjoy and learn much from whatever you decide to purchase.

Thanks and keep them in the X ring,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have a Hi-point 995 and it regularly outshoots my friends CX-4 Storm. He paid $500 more for his weapon then I did.

Hi-Point 995

Pros-

Simple action

Reliable

Very Accurate

Indestructable

Cheap

Lots of aftermarket parts to bubba it up with

Cons-

10 rd mag only!! 15rd aftermarket mags do not work!!

Ugly as sin

Cheap gun, range snobs will smirk and look down their noses.

Ugly ugly ugly

It is mostly plastic

I rate it a 10 /10 for performance though. I can make 3 inch groups at 50 yards and 5 inch at 75 using only the iron sights. I love that gun so much.

As far as rifle caliber rifles, I think we have all forgotten about the mini-14. Great gun, lots of aftermarket support, and it uses NATO standard ammo. The American Ak-47

As far as the 6.8mm goes...ammo ammo ammo. Don't want to have to mortgage the house to go to the range. I would advise you stick to common calibers. 5.56 (.223) 7.62x51 (.308win). The 6.8 is really a specialty round. If you are just looking for self defense the .223 is fine. Most hunting the .308 will do. Though I was reading about this 6.8mm and it does produce some interesting numbers..

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Tinhatman]

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Tinhatman]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I wish i lived in a state where i could buy an m4 carbine, but im stuck out here in california with all the liberals

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

I definitely plan on getting into reloading. I use cheaperthandirt for a lot of purchases currently already. Theyre good guys.

I'm not too worried about finding 6.8. From what I've read the round is currently being adopted for large scale manufacture by a number of different manufacturers. It looks like it could see larger popularity civilian side before military. Which says to me that .223 hasn't stopped going up in price yet.

Hopefully I'll be loading my own by Summer's end.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Tinhatman

I've heard the HiPoints are hit or miss with accuracy. The range I shoot at has a couple for rent and some guys swear they're air tight others complain the things all over. I imagine it has something to do with inconsistent ammo use and probably poor maintenance. I've rented it a couple of times myself and I like it enough.

Though it is ugly, ugly, ugly. There is an aftermarket stock for it that looks just like the CX4's but it looks sort of cheap and hollow in the right light.

The mini's are great little guns but suffer a bit in the accuracy department unless you spend the dough to "match" it out with a heavier barrel. I've a mini-30 and was lucky enough to get my hands on a 30 round mag that actually works. Most of the time anyway.

We can't own AK's in CT otherwise I'd have more than one. The mini-30 and SKS are our only options for 7.62x39.

Oh, and there's no rifle hunting in CT unless you can get the rights to hunt a pretty large parcel of private land. So far I've had no luck with that year after year. We're a slug and bow state. Can't even use buckshot.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tac109

Being a gun owner in CA is actually one of the rare cases when you're worse off than a gun owner in CT. I never thought it would be so easy for a state to just ignore the Boll of Rights without incurring some sort of revolt. Oh well.

Though not true M4's there are some CA legal versions out there:
www.atlanticfirearms.com...

I'm surprised you guys can still have bayonet lugs. Hell, I'm surprised we in CT can.

Gotta watch out for all those crazed psychopaths running around with bayonets and barrel shrouds stabbing people en mass and keeping their hands from being burnt by a hot barrel.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I definitely plan on getting into reloading. I use cheaperthandirt for a lot of purchases currently already. Theyre good guys.

Good for you that you are on top of things as far as sources for ammo and such. Also great that you plan to get into reloading.

I actually enjoy my time on the reloading bench out in my garage. Some good music, food and drink, and I am good for hours. Just bought myself a newer version of the Hornaday handbook of cartridge reloading. Intresting how many different powders and calibers have become popular or available since the earlier edition.

Oh..by the way..the 6.5 and 6.8mm chamberings for the AR series of rifles are not in this book. Obviously these are newer chamberings since this publication. Data for these calibers/chamberings are available on the web and easily to be found. I have often thought that this would also be a very nice chambering for a bolt action rifle...or even a single shot like the Thompson Contender/Encore series.

Thanks,
Keep them in the X-ring,
Orangetom

top topics

join