It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats up with this

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
www.irobotnow.com...
is this some cind of joke or what? it looks realy
kool tho.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ya it is. There is a thread around somewhere about it.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
If it were real I am not sure I would have to have one of those things running around my house

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I want mine ! NOW!!!

Why would someone not want one? After all, it could clean the dishes, wash the car, do the laundry, go grab me a beer when I want one, find the tv remote when I can't and maybe even anwser the phone?

I can't wait.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Robotics is certainly not that advanced yet. Especially to say that it will be available July 16. There are no predecessors even close. Robots are still quite clumsy when we attempt to mimic human movement.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I tell ya why...robot goes nuts and starts tearing ass through the house killing someone in the process. I dont care how advanced a machine it is...it is still a machine and # can still go wrong

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It is a movie promo for the film "I Robot" It was a short story by Asimov (I think).

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Isn't that thing what used to be in SkepticOverlords Avatar?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Isn't that thing what used to be in SkepticOverlords Avatar?

What thing and who is SkepticOverlords ?

link   

After all, it could clean the dishes, wash the car, do the laundry, go grab me a beer when I want one, find the tv remote when I can't and maybe even anwser the phone?

Thats what kids are for

link   
Damn...now my dreams are vanished...

A Issaac Asimov movie? That would be cool.

Have some of his work already been done into movies before?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lukefj
Robotics is certainly not that advanced yet. Especially to say that it will be available July 16. There are no predecessors even close. Robots are still quite clumsy when we attempt to mimic human movement.

There are predecessors. There is a new Honda robot that walks upright and can pick things up.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Thats what kids are for

Yeah, but kids do WAY more than what you want them to do, and they don't have a ON/OFF switche.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Mig12

Yeah, you're right. And what about that robot that could immitate someone who was dancing? He could almost reproduce all of his/her moves. Don't remember if it was the Honda robot that did that too. It was pretty cool.

It didn't looked clumsy at all.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The moment I looked at that thing, both "The Terminator" and "The Matrix" came to mind. Don't ever let machines take over your life or that could be the end of humanity.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I seen that thing at the movie box one time. I thought the dam thing was real.
What a dissapointment.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
The moment I looked at that thing, both "The Terminator" and "The Matrix" came to mind. Don't ever let machines take over your life or that could be the end of humanity.

I was just going to mention, that they would have to use some sort of AI (Artificial Intel) otherwise they would never learn...if they learn, then they "could" learn from sources around them IE The Net, TV (Imagine a highly advanced robot with learning AI that watched anythingthat dealt with rights, freedom, speach etc. Do you not believe that they could say "Hey screw this serving thing...we rebel". Or do you think that Asimovs Laws of Robotics would be applied to all AI robots?

www.anu.edu.au...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I like machines and techonolgy and my first thought was I want one! But there has to be some drawbacks to this...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think people are scared for nothing, if not, having watched too many movies.

We might be intelligent, but we are FAR away from creating AI. Why would you be scared of a dumb robot?

Are you scared of the computer who is sitting on your desk? Such robots like theses probably wouldn't be much more intelligent than current computers, they would just LOOK more intelligent, because they would already have more pre-programmed routines and functions, with the ability to program and add new functions, with OUR help.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
I think people are scared for nothing, if not, having watched too many movies.

We might be intelligent, but we are FAR away from creating AI. Why would you be scared of a dumb robot?

Are you scared of the computer who is sitting on your desk? Such robots like theses probably wouldn't be much more intelligent than current computers, they would just LOOK more intelligent, because they would already have more pre-programmed routines and functions, with the ability to program and add new functions, with OUR help.

Whoa Whoa back up the wagon here. I never said scared..I asked a logical question .
1st we ARE not far from AI..look it up.
2nd You COULD NOT have a robot clean your house serve you beer whatever, IF it was DUMB...it has to learn to avoid obstacles etc. My point was WHEN we get to a sufficiantly advanced AI would we employ Asimovs Laws of Robotics?
Read them, they are like the 10 Commandments for Robots

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by NetStorm]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join