It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas needed, Slow cooker

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Loll I got myself one of them Slow cookers! and now imp looking for some Recipes! I know its great for Casseroles and Stews so being winter and all I thought it would be a great time to use it!

So any slow cooker people out there

Id love to hear what you made,

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
HI asala, I love to slow cook chicken with herbs and some very hot chile peppers. I cook it for at least 24 hours if not more. It breaks down and makes a great base for things like taquitos. Of course I cannot make anything without onion and garlic and the basics... Just make sure it has enough liquid and cooks at a regular temp otherwise if you cook too low, it can actually rot the meats.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I like to make roasts in my crockpot. A nice chuck roast, throw in some onion soup mix, bullion, water and if you like a cramy gracy, a can of cream and mushroom soup and cook it over night. You can also put little baby red potatoes and baby carrots in there with it and have a one pot meal.

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
My crock pot never see's anything but beans. Oh yeah, and rice.

southernfood.about.com...
crockpot.cdkitchen.com...

bon apatite

[edit on 30-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I used mine a couple days ago for sirloin tip steak rolls.

Two large steaks, I cut mine from a roast.
Half pound of smoked bacon.
Green onions.
Salt & Pepper.
1/4 C water.

Flatten the steaks with your fists as much as possible on a flat surface.
Salt lightly and pepper to taste.
Lay strips of bacon to cover each steak.
Sprinkle on chopped onion.

Tightly roll each steak from the narrowest end and tie with butcher twine.
Three strings around and one lengthwise works for me, but be fairly tight.

Add 1/4 cup of water in your cooker and put in the rolled steaks.
Salt and pepper on top and a sprinkle of chopped onion.

Put on the lid, set on low, and don't open it for 7 - 8 hours.
Remove from cooker when time is up and slice into rings to serve.

I like to serve this with home made hash browns and fried mushrooms because they just seem to go together well.
A French Merlot compliments the meal, but cold beer does just as well depending on your preference.

Happy cooking asala, don't let that slow cooker sit in the cupboard. :shk:

EDIT: I almost forgot, make sure you do a creamy gravy with the liquid left in the pot. If you serve wine or beer with the meal add just a splash to the gravy to give a little continuity to the flavors that cross your palate.

[edit on 30/12/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
is it a crock pot or a roaster?

crockpot:

1 lb of ground beef
1 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
1 can of chili beans
1 can of black beans
1can of (any bean you want) I use lima bean
1 med onion diced
2 tbs mustard
1 clove of garlic(I usually add a lot more)
your favorite bbq sauce

cook your bacon and ground beef and sautee you onion. Add this to the crockpot and pour in all 3 cans of beans. Save one of the cans...add the mustard and garlic. Then fill one of the cans with your avorite bbq sauce and add it to the pot along with one can of water...slow cook for several hours until it thickens and serve...We call it Cowboy Stew...It is really good from the crockpot but if you cook it over an open fire...Man the smokey taste gets in there...Wow it's good

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I have a great recipie for pulled pork too...though it isnt as good from the pot as it is from the smoker but if you want it let me know

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This is my favorite roast.
Season a chuck roast with seasonall, and dust with flour. (dont go light with that seasonall, you dont want any meat peeking through it.)
Slice one onion
Add a bit of oil to a pan (med. heat) and brown both sides of the roast. Put the roast in your slow cooker.
Spread horseradish on both sides of the roast.
Toss in your sliced onion, and one package of mushrooms (I prefer the baby portabellas)
In the pan you browned the meat in, add 1/2 C red wine to deglaze the pan.
Pour that yummy stuff over your roast.
Add enough water to cover your roast.
Let it do its thing till dinner time.
Its good over rice, with mashed potatoes (add a little cornstarch to that broth thats left over...yummy gravey), or toss in some taters n carrots with your roast about half way through.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
A nice chuck roast

Yes! When you throw in some onions, and red potatoes. Yummy! That's hard to beat. I'd say more but my wife always creates these masterpieces. I just know that the roast in the crockpot always seems magical.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Don't try and cook porridge the milk will still burn at the bottom of the cooker. Do cook Corn Beef in the slow cooker and serve it with steam cabbage and you will have yourself a nice meal. If there is any left over meat you can use it on your sandwiches .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Thank you guys and gal's some real great ideas there,

I'm off out to but lots of veggies lol and some meat! I'm going to have fun trying out all the above,

I just love the idea that its all good and fresh! and that you can just Chop it up and leave it for hours! Works perfect with being busy
and its not a packet meal, I am really going to try this year and cook everything fresh,
lol got to be on top form for whatever the year brings us!

kaferwerks I would love to hear your other Recipe..

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I like to make roasts in the slow cooker. For pot roast I put seasoning salt and chop an onion and leave it in all day and it turns out perfectly. The web site allrecipes.com has a variety of wonderful slow cooker recipes to choose from.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thanks Ballet mom!

Ill be sure to check that out,

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hi Asala!

Try these in your new Slow-Cooker:

1. Cabbage Rolls

2. Swedish or Sweet N' Sour Meatballs

3. Spaghetti Sauce

4. Pot Roast - Meat and Veggies ALTOGETHER

5. Soups/Stews

6. Chili

7. Chicken N' Dumplings

I got a Slow Cooker a.k.a 'Crock-Pot' last year for a gift. Man oh man, you're going to have fun with this baby!

(just swallowed a gob of saliva while looking at the list above...mmmmmmm...lolol)

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hey Duckster, what is your recipe for cabbage rolls. I have never had them before.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Hey Duckster, what is your recipe for cabbage rolls. I have never had them before.

This is not a slow cooker recipe, but it does take a long time. I posted a thread called Cabbage Rolls 101 a while back that I think anyone would like if you give it a try.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Anxiety beat me to the punchline!

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Cool. So you can fix this in the crock pot? And do you brown the meat first?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

YES...brown the meat first.

Putting the hamburger, and or other meats all together in a dish without cooking will retain GREASE/FAT. I like to brown the meat and drain the grease (health conscious).

If you don't drain the grease, it'll 'float on top'. lolol

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If you use very lean ground beef and other meats you don't need to drain any fat.
Buy the leanest meat you can afford because the cheap stuff just means you're throwing away fat after you cook it.

Refer to the recipe I posted above, but the less fat you start with, the less you need to worry about later. Also, the rice added to cabbage roll stuffing soaks up any remaining grease so that you get the flavor without the greasy texture.

DO NOT PRE-COOK ANY OF THE MEAT BEFORE YOU MAKE THE ROLLS....
The purpose of cooking for a long time is to make the meat tender and flavorful.

Next time I make them I'll put a batch in the slow cooker for about 6 hours and see how they turn out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join