It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traditional Remedies

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Melissa officinalis is great for sleeping if you are suffering from insomnia. You can make tea from it in many ways. A boiloff from dried herbs is most common I guess. It even tastes quite good. Camille is also great for the same, but much weaker, and the taste isn't exactly my favorite. And you have the many different Salvia variants. Normal salvia can be used to treat a variety of diseases in tea form, while the more hardcore variant salvia divinorum is totally insane. I smoked it once, and suddenly I was inside my wall and time stood still, not a movement to see, and all the dimentions seemed to flat out. It wasn't very pleasent, but I learned alot about myself. Don't play with it though. It may not be dangerous directly, but indirectly it could very well add to existing mental weaknesses you are not aware of. And anxiety could become the result I guess.....

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Yes Hamilton I don't know where I'd find Salvia here in south australia though. Also, does anyone know if smoking Chamomile, Rosemary, Gingko Biloba or Gotu Kola gives a person a buzz?? Or does it do anything? e.g. cause dreaming, astral travel, or relaxation effects?? I read kings used to smoke Rosemary when tobacco smoking was first introduced into England and people sometimes use it for mixes with tobacco?? I would imagine it would be quite pleasant to inhale.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Well, Jewish chicken soup (basically chicken soup with boiled cabbage also....don't worry, you can't even taste the cabbage...) fixes me right up whenever I have a cold or the flu....

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
My recommendation is to eat a substantial amount of Valumes, and presto! You don't wake up for 3 days. It works every time.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Im glad this topic is still existing, anyways here I am a couple months later and i've purchased a load of herbs. I got gotu kola, ephedra, henbane, fennel, fo ti, siberian ginseng, cayenne pepper plants, sage, valerian and even a small gingko tree.

Interestingly enough combining small amounts of ephedra twigs and leaves of some of the above plants can make an excellant sedative drink and very refreshing as well.

I fancy myself somewhat of a herbalist and anymore remedies you guys could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
Yes Hamilton I don't know where I'd find Salvia here in south australia though. Also, does anyone know if smoking Chamomile, Rosemary, Gingko Biloba or Gotu Kola gives a person a buzz?? Or does it do anything? e.g. cause dreaming, astral travel, or relaxation effects?? I read kings used to smoke Rosemary when tobacco smoking was first introduced into England and people sometimes use it for mixes with tobacco?? I would imagine it would be quite pleasant to inhale.

Interesting question, although I don't smoke the herbs I do enjoy a nice joint every now and then. Doesn't matter what the critics say i know what it does for me
But im sure smoking the plants would have some sort of result it would be more of an immediate effect since smoking is one of the fastest ways to release the compounds. Actually i myself have heard of shaman and others that smoked certain types of bark (Yohimbe is the big one) with thier "pipes of insight" so they were called.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The darkprojekt wrote:

Actually i myself have heard of shaman and others that smoked certain types of bark (Yohimbe is the big one) with thier "pipes of insight" so they were called.

Haha, I like that term of respect 'The Pipe Of Insight'!!

anyways here I am a couple months later and i've purchased a load of herbs. I got gotu kola, ephedra, henbane, fennel, fo ti, siberian ginseng, cayenne pepper plants, sage, valerian and even a small gingko tree.

Interestingly enough combining small amounts of ephedra twigs and leaves of some of the above plants can make an excellant sedative drink and very refreshing as well

Goddamn man, so many herbs!! I have a gotu kola plant growing well at home, Brahmi (Bacopa), a small still growing not many leafed Gingko Biloba, and a hugely sprouting recovered from death well 'Stevia', and a chamomile plant also recovering from being dead and starting to turn green again. (We had a big heatwave a few weeks ago). Dark Projekt can you tell me what ephedra, henbane, fennel, fo ti, siberian ginseng, cayenne pepper plants, sage, and ephedra twigs do, individually?? I know Valerian is a natural sedative. Is that Sage Divine Sage or just the 'normal' type used in cooking foods?? I have heard a few of them 'ginseng, cayenne' on the internet being used as dream enhancers. How much did all these herbs cost, where did u buy them from and how much quantity do you usually buy them in without spending a huge amount?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I just want to say, be very careful with herbs of all kinds.
If anyone is right into it, a full blood test every 6-12mths
is a good idea. Herbs can seriously damage one's
Renal system.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Passiflora incarnata is also said to have sedative affects
i've tried it in salad. i like the taste, but not sure if it really had a noticeable effect.

[Edited on 14-3-2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I like dandelion tea - its somewhat bitter but add honey and you've got a nice refreshing drink.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
sanctum wrote:

Renal system

What is a renal system?

panchovilla wrote:

they don't care if it damages their renal system. renal?
they're just trying to be cool!

yes renal we think we're cool because we use legal herbs and talk about it in a specified thread!!
Riiiiiiiiight..............

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I couldnt stomach it in a tea form, but valerian works better for me then Valium. If I dont wish to sleep so deeply, I do a 1:1 Valerian Skullcap mix.

In tea, I drink Echinachea.. it wards away all colds for me. Also, Red Raspberry leaf, (it is a sexual system tonic for men and women- prevents cancers and other maladies)- peppermint for upset stomachs. I cant handle ginger tea. And a whole host of chinese herbals, like kava, ginko.. mixed in our local chinese apocathary. (SF rocks)

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hey thanks everyone for your interest, and no i don't just take herbs for pleasure. I have an interest in herbs because for the longest time i was stressed and overwhelmed. I find that not only taking these remedies is good but growing them also relieves some of my stress

Anyways Im a bit bogged down right now but i will come back and reply to what each one of these does for you, because I have a big guide on them.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by GanjaGoddess
I couldnt stomach it in a tea form, but valerian works better for me then Valium. If I dont wish to sleep so deeply, I do a 1:1 Valerian Skullcap mix.

Apparently from what i've been told Hitler was addicted to taking Valerian before bedtime every night because it promotes lucid dreams and works other parts of your frontal lobe and cerebral cortex. Just an interesting note i picked up somewhere along the line.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarkprojekt
Apparently from what i've been told Hitler was addicted to taking Valerian before bedtime every night because it promotes lucid dreams and works other parts of your frontal lobe and cerebral cortex. Just an interesting note i picked up somewhere along the line.

I had not heard that before. Makes sense tho. I had to stop taking Valerian for awhile after a series of lucid dreams that I could not wake up from.. My partner said my pulse would race and I'd thrash about on the bed. Typically, I can pull my spiritual self out of any situation.. Salvia Divorium.. datura.. none of those phased me. But Valerian.. whoo boy.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
sanctum wrote:

Renal system

What is a renal system?

panchovilla wrote:

they don't care if it damages their renal system. renal?
they're just trying to be cool!

yes renal we think we're cool because we use legal herbs and talk about it in a specified thread!!
Riiiiiiiiight..............

You will find out about ones renal system when you are on
Dialysis.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Not to worry about my renal system i am VERY careful about my dosages and i have the poison control number written down incase.

Anyways im back again with some more detailed information as requested.

Ephedra - contains traces of ephedrine, a nerve stimulant resembing adrenaline. Has tonic effects, improves kidney action and relieves asthma.

Henbane - powerful cerebral and spinal sedative used since remote ages to induce sleep an allay pains.

Fo Ti - This is probably one of my favorites its called the "Elixir of Life" its said to possess rejuvenating properties the root is ysed to restore blood, liver and kidneys, but also used for vertigo, insomnia and lumbago.

Fennel - simply put, improves the digestion system.

Siberian Gingseng - this one is interesting because they give it to Russian cosmonaughts to increase endurance. It relieves mental and physical stress.

Cayenne peppers - you most likely have heard of these there the tiny green and red peppers used in chili, and other foods. There really neat and can have large yield.

Diviners Sage - is the sage I purchased chewing fresh leaves induces divinatory visions similar to mescaline. I can't comment on that because its my first season growing them.

Anyways the total came to $56.75 at a place called Richters. Now i am very fortunate enough to live 1 hour 45 minutes away from one, but you can visit www.richters.com i believe and order seeds, and already started plants. I bought some pre-grown plants, seeds, and a couple kg of dried herbs.

Make sure you read them WELL before taking them as always. Hope you learnt something today

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarkprojekt

Fennel - simply put, improves the digestion system.

Licorice is also a very potent digestion aide.

Personally, I cant stand the taste of it.. so I take it in pill form. It helps repair damage done by ulcers.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GanjaGoddess

Licorice is also a very potent digestion aide.

Personally, I cant stand the taste of it.. so I take it in pill form. It helps repair damage done by ulcers.

Fennel has a distinct licorice taste to it, i love it. I guess its an acquired taste.

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ganja godess wrote:

And a whole host of chinese herbals, like kava, ginko.. mixed in our local chinese apocathary. (SF rocks)

Salvia Divorium.. datura.. none of those phased me. But Valerian.. whoo boy

Wow can you stomach Kava?? It's very hard to!! I've been very interested in trying Salvia Divinorium (Divine Sage) but it is not illegal in Australia since two years ago (#ING GOVERNMENT!!) what are its effects, what exactly is it like? Does the effect last for several short minutes? does it increase your spirituality and perspective?

The darkprojekt wrote:

Apparently from what i've been told Hitler was addicted to taking Valerian before bedtime every night because it promotes lucid dreams and works other parts of your frontal lobe and cerebral cortex. Just an interesting note i picked up somewhere along the line

Yes I think I've come across some dreaming and lucid dreaming sites and heard valerian is an important herb for lucid dreaming.

Siberian Gingseng - this one is interesting because they give it to Russian cosmonaughts to increase endurance. It relieves mental and physical stress

Yes Siberian ginseng is used in energy drinks such as like many of the Redeye range, including Red Eye Platinum, and many other sports energy drinks.

Diviners Sage - is the sage I purchased chewing fresh leaves induces divinatory visions similar to mescaline. I can't comment on that because its my first season growing them.

DarkProjekt can you tell me about Divine Sage and what its like?? The perspective, positive effects, negative effects you got from it?? Like I mentioned before its illegal in Australia, I'd love to try some but can't find any at the moment. It'd be an even more empathic and spiritual experience growing it yourself and then ingesting it.

Also, can someone please answer my questions from several posts before about the effects of smoking Gotu Kola, Brahmi, Rosemary, and Stevia, separately???

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join