It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people turn into smokers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Is there a science to understanding what makes people turn into smokers? I don't understand how something that is stupid, yet simple, can interest many people to do the same thing over and over. I know that it's an addiction but if people know that smoking causes all of these bad problems why are new people smoking when they weren't before?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
umm are you sure you know the concept of addiction?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I think a lot of new smokers jump into the fray as a result of hearing others talk about how smoking relieves their stress. Lets face it, we live in a stressful world and smoking WILL indeed curb a bit of your stress. Unfortunately, it also adds another thing to be stressed over. Its really a catch-22.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverickhunter

I can tell you how I became one and what I think. I quit over a year ago and I'll tell you what motivated me.

The main reason I started was because I was furious over a so-called friend of mine. I had no way to express my feelings so I bummed a cigarette off a friend and then another. It immediately calmed me down. After that, I started buying my own and it became therapeutic. I had heard the dangers, but it didn't have any meaning, because most people do not see the effects of smoking in society unless they happen to know someone who has developed health problems.

The main reason I wanted to quit was because it began to cost so much, but that wasn't enough to make me quit. I really didn't feel confident about quitting on money alone. I needed something more and started researching the health effects of smoking. I wanted a reason that I could at least see first-hand that would make me regret it if I continued.

Words to me aren't enough, but I did find a website with pictures of this guy along with his story of how he got cancer and went down hill fast. It was pretty sad to see how the guy dwindled away. His long time girlfriend married him before he croaked and it was pretty emotional to read about it.

For me, thats what helped me. I could then connect what it looks in real life of how your health can be taken and all that you could have done will be gone in a flash. It made me think that I have my own kids to be thankful for and that if I don't do something with conviction, they could spend the rest of their life without a dad. That would suck.

I wish their were more graphic accounts of smoking related damage available online so that people could see. Maybe some personal stories about how people thought it would not harm them for many years and how they thought they could quit anytime. Maybe more of that would help someone. I know it helped me.

I used the patches and although the cost of those was high, they weren't more expensive than buying cigarettes. I also had hard candy to munch on. In about a week or two after starting, I did not need the candy so much.

Its been over a year now and haven't touched one since. I probably saved over $1000. It was like getting a 50 cent raise or extra $20 a week which I can use on other things that I am enjoying more.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Peer pressure.

Every smoker (or ex-smoker) I've ever met started before the allowed legal age. I smoked my first cigarette when I was 13. I stated spending my own money and smoking regularly when I was 15.
I was never attracted to smoking but at the time I felt pressured by my friends to smoke.
From there the addiction sets in.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Kids know that smoking is bad for their health but they don't care because of the media generated image that smoking is "adult" sophisticated, worldly, cool, rebellious and hip.

If the kids that are hanging around in groups, smoking, talking tough and strutting around, knew how silly they looked; they would probably not do it.

But adolescents usually haven't developed a very critical way of thinking and the most important thing in their lives is to be accepted by the group they deem important and if smoking is part of that group dynamic, then you smoke.

That's why I started smoking.

One of the hardest things I ever had to do was quit.

5yrs without smoking and sometimes I still get cravings for a smoke.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

I tended to avoid that "group" in school. I always thought they were stupid (and I still do).

I started smoking well after the legal age requirements, as did most of my smoker friends. Though, I see (and agree with) what you are saying.

KONcept

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
well i started smoking to conceal the smell of other smokes..i used to only smoke after i...smoked...but i guess i developed a bit of addiction..oh well. i've been smoking for about two years now.. not a lot in comparison to some, i know, but i still love my smokes and smoking in general. very relaxing.

i'm sure i'll be kicking my ass for this torture when i'm older.

a good friend of mine picked up smoking cause his room mate smoked..he would see him outside chillin', havin' a smoke and eventually he would join him.. bummin cigs..then before he knew it he was buyin' his own packs

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Peer pressure.

Every smoker (or ex-smoker) I've ever met started before the allowed legal age. I smoked my first cigarette when I was 13. I stated spending my own money and smoking regularly when I was 15.

I actually just saw this guy i used to work with a few years ago. He is 24 right now and i saw him light up a cigg. I remember 2 years ago (when he was 22) not smoking at all. I couldn't believe someone that old would just take up smoking. I guess the stress of after college life got to him.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
How do people turn into anything? They try it, it does something good for them, they like it, they keep doing it. It really goes for anything and everything, alcohol, drugs, Red Bull, Snickers, collecting baseball cards, gardening..

top topics

join