It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eid ul-Adha

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I missed this by 4 days, but thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention now. Better late than never right?

On December 20th the Muslim holiday of Eid ul-Adha took place. This is a celebration of the sacrifice Abraham was willing to make of his son Ishmael when commanded by Allah. This of course is a commonality between all of the Abrahamic religions. Christians, Muslims and Jews all have this event in their holy books, if anything were to bring the 'warring factions' together, it would be this celebration.

This holiday is celebrated by giving food to the poor, and being sure that no one goes hungry this season. Traditionally, it was up to the more affluent class to sacrifice their best stock to commemorate the sacrifice Abraham was willing to perform, and to give the large portion of the meat to those who couldn't afford to eat on their own.

So this holiday season, maybe you could make a sacrifice for the poor? If you don't have the livestock to spare, maybe just giving those who can't afford it some food.

*Note: I am not Muslim, but I do think that it's up to those who have to give to those who have not, especially when it's as cold as it is out there.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Raso, like I say, there is not really much difference between Islamic Allah and the god of the Old Testament... They are both very disengenious to the God that Jesus Christ spoke of... My question is simple. How is it that some can try and connect the loving,forgiving , peaceful God of Jesus Christ with the god of the Old Testament that commanded Abraham to kill his own son?

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think God was just testing Abraham's willingness to obey, as He did not allow him to follow through and did provide a ram for the sacrifice.
Considering the promise made to Abraham and his seed, I can connect the dots.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
SpeakerofTruth, the connection is simple. The test for Abraham was to see if he loved Father over his own son - and also whether or not he would be obedient to Father's commands. Additionally, it was symbolic of the sacrifice that Father would make in sacrificing His own son. Abraham was stopped because it was a test and not something our loving Father would ever actually ask us to do - but something He would later do for us.

BTW.. it was Isaac whom Abraham was asked to sacrifice. Not Ishmael.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have heard both of those explanations before and for some reason, they just don't work for me. If it were a "testing of Abraham's faith," I have to wonder to what avail. God, as I believe him to be, already knows how we are going to react in any given situation, he has no real reason to "test."

[edit on 24-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sot:
Because it's the same God. Two sides of the same coin. There's no disconnection.

And you can look at it in a few ways by my count:

You can see the good that came from either religion. You can look at the peaceful and loving nature of either religion that leads people to feed the poor and care for their brother. They share food and put the welfare of others before their own. The side that gives people faith to free themselves from slavery and oppression .

Or you can look at the angry oppressive side of both religions. The side that says "believe and do what I say or die". This is the side that will destroy entire peoples in the name of Manifest Destiny, or the side that would fire missiles into the middle of the most populated city in North America with the intent to kill thousands.

In either case, this time of year we should just sit back, not think about war, and help those we can.

Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Raso, yeah,,, It's sad that people cannot see more similarities than differences...

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruthI have heard both of those explanations before and for some reason, they just don't work for me. If it were a "testing of Abraham's faith," I have to wonder to what avail. God, as I believe him to be, already knows how we are going to react in any given situation, he has no real reason to "test."[edit on 24-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

He has every reason to test. Why do you think Christ was permitted to be tested by Satan? It's free will that dictates what we do and that can also change the course of any given situation. Father knows that there are many outcomes based on our own actions but I cannot say with all positivity that He knows in the end, exactly what WILL happen. More, He knows what COULD happen and then He puts plans in place to make sure that His will is done in all things and all outcomes are harmonious with His overall plan for creation.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
It's free will that dictates what we do and that can also change the course of any given situation.

To be honest, I'm not much of a believer in this "free will" that everyone carries on about so much. God never explicitly stated there was such a thing. Jesus said repeatedly, "Let the Will of Thine Father be done, not my own." That actually insinuates just the opposite of "free will"

There are other reasons for my not being so sure about "free will."

1. Our choices in any given situation are limited

2. What we decide to do is all too often determined by circumstance, not by what we really want to do...

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I appreciate your honesty and respect your point of view. I suppose it's something we all have to come to an understanding of on our own.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I appreciate your honesty and respect your point of view. I suppose it's something we all have to come to an understanding of on our own.

Refreshing.. Too bad more people don't conduct themselves in a similar fashion, Regina.. I think you have come to the same conclusion that I have, you can't convince someone of something that is contrary to everything they have been exposed to.. If you try, you're just going to wind up having to agree to disagree anyway... :shk:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruthRefreshing.. Too bad more people don't conduct themselves in a similar fashion, Regina.. I think you have come to the same conclusion that I have, you can't convince someone of something that is contrary to everything they have been exposed to.. If you try, you're just going to wind up having to agree to disagree anyway... :shk:

These days I prefer to share points of view and discussion rather than actual debate. There was a time when I enjoyed it, but, I always ended up feeling like this: :bnghd: And in all truthfulness, that's no fun!

Since you were honest with me, I'll be honest with you now...it was via my faith and the teachings of Christ that I came to understand that little is gained by it.

I wish you only the best.

[edit on 24-12-2007 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

see: revelations.

and that whole inclusion of hell into the doctrine. god does a lot more punishing post jesus than pre-jesus due to that singular doctrine.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Due to what singular doctrine?

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I am not a freewill person. I am a believer in Soverign Grace.

I am a predestinator..but not in the manner it is taught today.

Predestined...as in predestination.

Pre ..before

destination...where we would end..wind up..the destination.

Before the end was deteremined..where we would wind up...the destination.

Not necessarily everything in between. Everything we would do.

Also I dont celebrate Christmas or any holidays. Not intrested in them. Nor various festivities. Nor Birthdays.

No intrest in these too.

Charity... however ..is a good thing no matter what time of the year. No objections to this. However ..again...dont coerce anyone into giving..for coercion is not charity..it is coercion.

Orangetom

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

on this time of year (well twice a year)
we send couple hundred back home to give to the poor

also i remember when i was on holiday when had to cows and went around distrabuting meat to the poor in the village

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by Rasobasi420

on this time of year (well twice a year)
we send couple hundred back home to give to the poor

also i remember when i was on holiday when had to cows and went around distrabuting meat to the poor in the village

So much for peaceful religion....

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

BTW.. it was Isaac whom Abraham was asked to sacrifice. Not Ishmael.

According to Judaism and Christianity, you are correct.

According to Islam, you are incorrect.

In Islam, they claim it was Ishmael, the patriarch of the Arab peoples, and not Isaac, patriarch of the Jewish people, because quite simply, they dont want to feel second best.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang

In Islam, they claim it was Ishmael, the patriarch of the Arab peoples, and not Isaac, patriarch of the Jewish people, because quite simply, they dont want to feel second best.

Well, I have always thought Ishmael and Issac were one and the same..

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Nah, Ishmael was Abraham's eldest son, and Isaac was the other one. They were born of different mothers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join