It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invisibility cloak under development!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Invisibility cloak under development!

www.eng.umd.edu

COLLEGE PARK, Md.—Harry Potter may not have talked much about plasmonics in J. K. Rowling's fantasy series, but University of Maryland researchers are using this emerging technology to develop an invisibility cloak that exists beyond the world of bespectacled teenage wizards.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This sounds crazy, I sure would like one of those as soon as they are on sale

www.eng.umd.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Under developement ! They have been using those things in the army here for yonks .

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Got a LONG way to go:

"It would be a significant challenge to extend the cloak to three dimensions because researchers would need to control light waves both magnetically and electronically to steer them around the hidden object. The technology initially may work only for small objects of specific controlled shape."

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I was going to say that reconpilot. They showed them on tv years ago. The soldiers are clothed in very good mirrors that reflect the trees etc, around them and do not reflect the sun and so the soldiers become literally invisible. Maybe this is what you are talking about?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Search You Tube for "Phillips Luma Live". Or "Light Emitting Tee Shirts".

I'm on an old backup compouter, or Id post a link. This system stops on You Tube.

These are TEE shirts that went into production years ago, but were never released to the Public.

The concept is a cloth material that has LED's embedded in it, that are colored and flexible, even washable, allowing you to have a MOVING pattern on your TEE shirt, or they even show a "couch" with a Digital Clock on it.

The Idea is to have a small TV camera Behind you, transmitting that Image to the front of the shirt ( or Suit ), to show exactly whats behind you.

Kinda like standing in front of an old "slide projector" screen, with an image being projected. You just kinda disappear into the image.

Now lets put a camera on the front as well and transmit that image to the back of the suit.

Now lets put that on a TANK, or Aircraft, or even a SHIP with basically 'drop down' screens that have the LEDs in them. one more camera to show the GROUND or Ocean for "Anti Air" Observation.

This has been around for years that I know of..... No telling "where its at" now, but my guess ( educated) is that IF we are Talking about it, its already old news to the Gov.

Ivealso seen some other videos with Japanese Men wearing a "SUIT" and moving around like they are doing the "Macarena" on Stage and even outside on the Public Street. The Images behind them are instantly transmitted to their suit front for the Camera to Video Tape and Demonstrate this technology.

( maybe this is the same video you posted, I cant see you tube this week.)

Best regards,

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Danelle

WHAT??!!!
If you have a link to that, it would be very kind.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by v4vendetta

Ok I'll look that up just for you!

Give me a minute, and I may have to re-boot.

I know I can find the Luma Live videos, the Japaneese man videos I found by accident one day.

Be right back to post the link HERE:

OK HERE IS PHILLIPS LIGHTING www.youtube.com...

I'm still looking for the 2 or 3 videos of the Japaneese Man, please stay tuned to this CONELRAD channel for further instructions.

Blitzkreigen.

Edited to ADD:

I found about 7 or 8 more that I just cant even open with this 500 Mhz. non Java system. Search You Tube for LUMALIVE, thery are showing Bannkock( sp ) New York and some other cities and countries.. France? videos on the same Phillips Textile.

I will still look for the Japaneese Man as he was RECENT and MUCH higher Quality... walking the STREETS of Tokyo "Live" and in "Visible".

NOT Phillips with the Japaneese man, and a complete suit less the face mask and hands ( gloves ).]

JAPANEESE MAN #1 Of 3 www.youtube.com...

# 2 of 3: (15 seconds ) www.youtube.com...

# 3 of 3? : Live In Tokyo? www.youtube.com...

The ARMY suit was a Japaneese Man too, I'lll look for that... as well... that one looked like "Dragon Skin" Mirrors, or old Chain Mail Armor, and actually 'shined' quite a bit.

DUKE UNIVERSITY STUDY
Not Army"Camo"Suit just yet..)
www.youtube.com...

Michio Kaku Physics Theory on Viability of Invivibility:
www.youtube.com...

Sorry to the other poster below, I keep 'edit adding' the links, you didnt 'miss' anything when you posted.

WAIT... yes you did.... the Invivibility Cloak was accidentally left ON...

WARNING>>> EXPLECIT VIDEO OF US SOLDIERS TANK HIT WITH IED>
I Believe that this is a total FAKE stealth suit, but it kinda bothered me.... a CLOAKED insurgent Terrorist.... Probably CGI...runs up on the next TANK ...WARNING>>>Not Suitable for sensitive people.... Or Minors..US IED Hit Is REAL! turn back now... must confirm birth date on you tube.

www.youtube.com.../watch%3Fv%3DyCXC_H9KZ7M

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

There is another one too.

Whoops sorry, didn't see it was already posted.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Danelle]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Cheers! Im gonna try and get one!

Any links on that army invisibility tech?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Optical Camouflage (Invisible Cloak)

www.youtube.com...

thats a pretty old video

"This technology involves neither chroma-keying nor photoshopping but is "quasi-invisivility" using a specific fablic and projector."

[edit on 10-7-2008 by beefeater]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
WOW! I dont understand what i just saw, im a bit confused...
That video looks old aswell, imagine what the top guys are up to now...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by v4vendetta
WOW! I dont understand what i just saw, im a bit confused...
That video looks old aswell, imagine what the top guys are up to now...

Yeah Exactly.... can you say STEALTH BLIMP?

Looks like a "smaller than the Goodyear Blimp", and sometimes has a "definite identity "sign on it that will say Direct TV or AT&T for daylight, 'non stealth' movement. Flies REALLY LOW like Illegal Low, less than 500 feet. Totally SILENT.

I might ought to shut up now...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have a thread on this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

somewhere around the fourth post i covered the clark school thing, i think.

However, i believe i will just begin to cross post the stuff here:

From Duke:

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Many of you may have seen this article recently (there may have even been a thread started on it...but i don't recall and have watched closely)

Towards Cloaking Visible Light: Three-dimensional Metamaterials For The Optical Wavelength Range

www.sciencedaily.com...

Last year researchers from Duke University stunned the world when they announced a cloaking device for the microwave range. This device made use of metamaterials that had a negative refractive index for electromagnetic radiation. The metamaterials were carefully designed split-ring resonators with a structure size much smaller than the wavelength. Only 10 stacked layers of metamaterials were necessary to achieve the desired invisibility effect.

.....(snip).....

Possible applications in the future include perfect lenses that beat the diffraction limit, and optical cloaking devices which provide some invisibility for macroscopic objects

Very interesting indeed.

This isn't all that is being done using nanoscale science. I will be posting more data that shows some of the cloaking technology developed to date.

Consider, for example, the "Paint the Night" program run in the late 90's, headed by the great, late Mike Muuss (he also wrote "Ping", which is on virtually every computer in the world).

ftp.arl.army.mil...

Now, if you consider the ability to create 'clouds' of vapor (each with a defined surface tension), you can see how the PTN technology could possibly evolve. Further that with airborne nano's (which can 'congeal' due to EM properties). Voila!!!

But this thread is about cloaking and invisibility. So on with the show!

[edit on 9-2-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
From Purdue:

Engineers Create 'Optical Cloaking' Design For Invisibility

www.sciencedaily.com...

The Purdue University engineers, following mathematical guidelines devised in 2006 by physicists in the United Kingdom, have created a theoretical design that uses an array of tiny needles radiating outward from a central spoke. The design, which resembles a round hairbrush, would bend light around the object being cloaked. Background objects would be visible but not the object surrounded by the cylindrical array of nano-needles, said Vladimir Shalaev, Purdue's Robert and Anne Burnett Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

The design does, however, have a major limitation: It works only for any single wavelength, and not for the entire frequency range of the visible spectrum, Shalaev said.

...(snippity snip)....

Calculations indicate the device would make an object invisible in a wavelength of 632.8 nanometers, which corresponds to the color red. The same design, however, could be used to create a cloak for any other single wavelength in the visible spectrum, Shalaev said.

"How to create a design that works for all colors of visible light at the same time will be a big technical challenge, but we believe it's possible," he said. "It is clearly doable. In principle, this cloak could be arbitrarily large, as large as a person or an aircraft."

The construction of materials on this scale provides for some very unexpected results.

Yes, the above information indicates cloaking in only 1 narrow band of the spectrum. However, further design implementations (or combinations of layers, or combinations of approaches) make this a very exciting breakthrough.

These scientists clearly think it is doable. There will likely be further breakthroughs in mathematics and geometry that arise from this particular groups' work. It will be very exciting to see how it pans out for them.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
From LLNL:

Cloaking Device? Invisible Technology One Step Closer

www.sciencedaily.com...

Scientists have already created an 'invisibility cloak' made out of 'metamaterial' which can bend electromagnetic radiation such as visible light, radar or microwaves -- around a spherical space, making an object within this region appear invisible.

Until now, scientists could only make objects appear invisible from far away. Liverpool mathematician Dr Sébastien Guenneau, together with Dr Frédéric Zolla and Professors André Nicolet from the University of Marseille, have proven - using a specially designed computer model called GETDP - that objects can also be made to appear invisible from close range when light travels in waves rather than beams

They already have, huh? its old news? hmmm.....

Please note, this link refers to work done at Lawrence Livermore National Labs (LLNL). The first and third post i made deal with Duke University, and the second post deals with Purdue. This is quite the research field, if we have THIS much interest in it, right?

[edit on 10-7-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
From Los Alamos:

Molding the flow of light at deep sub wavelength scale

Abstract: The diffractive nature of light has limited optics and photonics to operate at scales much larger than the wavelength of light. The major challenge in scaling-down integrated photonics is how to mold the light flow below diffraction-limit in all three dimensions. A high index solid immersion lens can improve the spatial resolution by increasing the medium refractive index, but only to few times higher than in air. Photonic crystals can guide light in three dimensions, however, the guided beam width is around a wavelength. Surface plasmons has a potential to reach the sub-wavelength scales; nevertheless, it is confined in the two-dimensional interface between metals and dielectrics. Here, we present a new approach for molding the light flow at the deep sub-wavelength scale, using metamaterials with uniquely designed dispersion. We develop a design methodology for realizing sub-wavelength ray optics, and demonstrate lambda/10 width light beams flow through three-dimensional space.

The interesting about this piece is that it originates from LANL. And they got the jump on Duke by about a month (+ or -).

As Zorgon has mentioned multiple times, he has recieved indication that "the predator is alive and well at Los Alamos". It seems that we have, if not a smoking gun, at least a spent shell casing that helps support Zorgons assertion.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This one ties into cloaking:

Three Ways To Levitate A Magic Carpet

It sounds like a science fiction joke, but it isn't. What do you get when you turn an invisibility cloak on its side? A mini flying carpet.

So say physicists who believe the same exotic materials used to make cloaking devices could also be used to levitate tiny objects. In a further breakthrough, two other research groups have come a step closer to cracking the mysteries of levitation.

Scientists have levitated objects before, most famously using powerful magnetic fields to levitate a frog. But that technique, using the repulsive force of a giant magnet, requires large amounts of energy. In contrast, the latest theories exploit the natural smaller amounts of energy produced by the quantum fluctuations of empty space.

....snip.....

The device was formed from so-called "metamaterials", exotic materials made from complex arrays of metal units and wires. The metal units are smaller than the wavelength of light and so the materials can be engineered to precisely control how electromagnetic light waves travel around them. "They can transform space, tricking electromagnetic waves into moving along directions they otherwise wouldn't," says Leonhardt.

...snip....

Capasso and his colleagues have also been working on an alternative scheme to harness a repulsive Casimir effect. Their calculations show that a repulsive Casimir force could be set up between a 42.7 micrometre-wide gold-coated polystyrene sphere and a silicon dioxide plate, if the two are immersed in ethanol. "Although the Casimir force between any two substances – the ethanol and gold, the gold and the silicon dioxide, or the silicon dioxide and the ethanol – is positive, the relative strengths of attraction are different, and when you combine the materials, you should see the gold sphere levitate," he says.

I have posted this in my "Search for Dr. Ning Li" antigrav thread....but this is very interesting to say the least.

The use of "metamaterials" is changing the way we do things. It is very promising to see another form of levitation being made possible. It would be even more promising if we could find a way to make this happen in an anti-grav effect.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here is one on cloaking sound (which is an important defensive capability as well:

Acoustic Cloaking

The design of the cloaking materials, published in the New Journal of Physics, shows that making an acoustic shield "can be done in a straightforward and simple way," says Steven Cummer, an electrical engineer at Duke University who was involved in the construction of the first light cloak in 2006.

Building on the theoretical work of John Pendry at Imperial College in London, a group at Duke University led by David R. Smith and including Cummer created a shield that makes objects invisible to a particular frequency of microwave light. They used metamaterials, artificially structured composites designed to have properties unmatched by natural materials. For about 10 years, engineers have been designing metamaterials to manipulate light in the hope of creating new display technologies, microscope lenses, and computer chips dense with transistors. The new acoustic-cloak recipe builds on Cummer's recent theoretical work on acoustic materials, and it shows that metamaterials can be used to manipulate sound waves as well as light waves. Cummer, who was not involved in Sánchez-Dehesa's work, says that it should now be possible to fabricate an acoustic cloak.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
There is more....but i will have to let a different Pegasus team member spring that one on everyone. I am unsure if that is something that is ready to be seen yet. But there is a whole other design, another way to go about cloaking that doesn't use plasmonics at all. It is far simpler, and likely not quite as effective if fully actualized.

And i would encourage people to pay particular attention to the Mike Muuss piece above, associated with ARL. We are talking holographic technology here. Imagine having the capability of craeating your "theater" in situ, in the field?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join