It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tormented by sleep paralysis - Need feedback

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I love the idea that 'we' are the shadow people in 'their' world or wherever it is...

Its only fair that we get to freak them out too

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for sharing your experiences, always difficult to describe to people who haven't experienced it before...

Thanks again

Mr L

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
The very first memory I have as a child is of this. I was 4 years old and in my room and woke up and could not move or speak. All of a sudden a MASSIVE drill of sound like an alarm clock from hell drill my brain for about 15-30 seconds. I could sense an entity hiding behind some kind of curtain that you could see through kind of. My G.I. Joe doll got up and started walking across the floor all by itself. It eventually went away and I never told anyone about it until I was an adult.

I have had sleep paralysis too a few times where I can't move or talk and it feels like an entity is trying to get into my body but nothing compares to the first experience I had as a child. This may sound weird but I think it was an entity that gave me the gift of music when the sound waves drilled my brain. I have only met one other person on this site that almost exactly happened the same way and they were a musician too.

Anyway my 2 cents! I feel bad for people that it happens to them all the time. I think there are many different things that could be happening instead of just one explanation. Anyway see you on the next world tour! Best of luck and find some source of power you can think of when it happens and you get afraid.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I haven't read this entire thread, but might I suggest trying to control your fear next time it happens. See where it takes you. Granted, it is a scary feeling not feeling like you are in control and also encountering unknown "entities." I have tried this with some success myself.

While it is still scary to a certain degree sometimes, I do not panic now, and I have had some truly strange encounters with some very odd entities that I can actually remember quite vividly.

I guess I would say try not to be scared of it and let go of your control a little bit. You might be back to tell us some very cool experiences.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by Anonymous Avatar]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Had another experience two days ago, same buzzing sound in my head and also a bizarre hallucination where I believed my girlfriend and her grandmother (?) were trying to wake me up for something important...

realised now, i feel very distant when it happens to me... like almost 'looking' into this world from far away.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
i had sleep paralysis two times in a row , i was slepping on my back on the couch with my back when i woke up and i could not move or speak i paniced and tried to scream amazingly i fell asslep again a few hours later i woke up again paralysed but this time i dont no why but i did not paniced , and i falled asslep again i felt like i fainted , it was a very freaky experience

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Oh man, this is silly. Demons and whatever. First of all, I've had sleep paralysis my whole life. I would have it at least once a week. I thought I was a freak too and didn't tell anyone. As I got into college though, I started experimenting. I began to write down and remember everything that had happened to me the night before I woke up in this state. Not surprisingly, it happened a lot more when I woke up hungover. Now anyone who knows anything about alcohol, knows what it does to you. It DEHYDRATES you. You are never more dehydrated than when you're hungover. So I tried an experiment. I began drinking more water. And then more water. And then more water. Guess what? Sleep paralysis went away completely. I drink a ton of water now, especially right before I go to bed - and it's all gone - going on 8 years now. Yeah it sucks that you got to get up to go to the bathroom a couple of times a night. But it's a lot better than feeling trapped inside your own body for what seems like hours and living with the fear that maybe this is the one time you won't wake up.

So: DRINK A LOT OF WATER. I promise you these episodes will go away (if you want them to).

And as far as this demon talk goes - I have a hard time believing that all you need to defeat demons taking over your body is a few glasses of water. If so, those are some wussy-ass demons.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kanashibari

kanashibari,
I don't know if you are still reading this thread but I will relate my experiences. I have had this for as long as I can remember, but it happens only so often for me. Although, I can induce it if I wish, simply by going to sleep at 4pm, getting up around 9 or 10, and then going back to bed. For some reason when I have more than enough sleep, but still go to sleep, it occurs.

Mine started out as memories of supposed nightmares, with all sorts of imagery. I have read that many feel there are several different layers, the first being this world, the second being this world with abnormal things in it, the third being a completely different world with abnormal things in it, and then there are some more ethereal worlds. As I wake up from sleep paralysis, I can sometimes feel as if I'm physically falling from one reality to the next until it's this normal world, at which point I will find myself in a state of sleep paralysis until I fight my way out of it.

The first time it happened when it wasn't a memory, I remember hearing shuffling of feet around me, and couldn't open my eyes.

The second time I was conscious of it, was 7 years later, when I was in the Navy. I was sleeping in a large barracks room by myself and had a hard day, so I went to bed early. I had the feeling of a lead blanket on me, so I eventually got up and figured I'd smoke a cigarette and have some iced tea so as to jolt my nervous system.

I then went back to sleep only to wake up at night to a bright light coming out of the wall behind me. The wall separated my room from the hallway, but I didn't see "into the hallway". The light was like a soft sunburst of laser beams... think the Frankie goes to Hollywood video for Relax. Then I see a sillouhette come out of the light and touch me on the forehead.

That was the most fearful experience. Mostly though I notice things like the fact that artificial lights appear to cast shadows and I can only see natural light. I'm not convinced these are some sort of OBE, but I do think when people talk about OBE they are speaking of a similar phenomena.

Anyway, I've gone on too long now...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
As you can see, sleep paralysis is a lot more common that people know.

Like the other posters, I've had sleep paralysis many times -- it is uncomfortable now for me -- but not horrifying, as it was initially.

According to my Doctor, it is just one of the weird things about the human brain and dreaming that people don't quite understand.

Some people have speculated that it is some sort of latency that occurs to keep people from sleep walking.

Sleeping on your back seems to trigger it more often. Some have speculated that this us possibly due to something in the inner ear.

The best way to wake up is to recognize you can control your breathing. (For some reason, people with sleep paralysis can always control the intake of breath!)

Take a few deep breaths, and try breathing out of your mouth. Try moving your face muscles and clicking your teeth. You will fully wake up in a minute or two, and regain control.

Good luck on this!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I get sleep paralysis about once a month, I'm a ludic dreamer too, maybe that has something to do with it.

When I was young I used to panic, but now when it happens I just lay there and think, "oh bugger, here we go again, I wonder how long this time" I then start thinking movement to my fingers until I can wiggle a finger then it breaks.

peace....

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
My Personal Opinion

Sleep Paralysis is not ghosts or evil beings out to destroy your soul etc, it's just a rather annoying situation when you jar you neck the wrong way in you sleep for example I get Sleep Paralysis when I sleep on my sides.
Now I am no medical expert so the neck thing may be wrong but thats what I think it is anyway.
So just buck up and have fun, if you have hallucinations of flying around out of your body thats cool I wish that happens to me next time S.P hits.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
People, I'm telling you. DRINK A LOT OF WATER. It will go away. And avoid things like caffeine and sugar/sugar water (soft drinks) - and especially alcohol - right before you go to bed. All of those things dehydrate you. I dare anybody to drink a lot of water (and i mean at least 16 ounces - but better if you constantly drink water all day so you're always fully hydrated) before they go to sleep and still get sleep paralysis the next morning. It's such a simple fix.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I have experienced many different sleep anomalies.From the paralysis to the obe. The experience has never been entirely the same.

Sometimes I will hear this off-key music and i feel a pressure on my back or front depending on my sleeping position.When i become "awake" the room is bright yet I cannot move.As i regain my ability to move it is again dark.

I get the overwhelming feeling that there is a presence in the room, enough so as to warn my girlfriend.(she often tells me i cry out or moan mournfully in my sleep.i have no recollection of it(the moaning.)

I have had the "buzz" the "electricity" the "death rattle" in my ears enough so that the vibrations build up until painful and then I literally "pop" out from my body.

My OBE's have ranged from what i call the "blind float". I am aware that I am apart from my body, yet it is dark and sometimes I randomly spin. I have actually pulled right out of my body sat up , looked at myself lying there and for an instant thought "Am I dead?" I went thru the door and outside in flight. The colors were absolutely intense (should have sent a poet", like nothing I have experienced here.It seemed to me I was seeing energy fields coming off everything.REALLY it was a mystical experience.

I have shared these experiences with anyone who would listen.I get asked 'were you dreaming?" and I always answer "as much as I am dreaming right now , here, with you."

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

It has happen to me a couple of times before but this time i felt something dark over me in the corner of my eye, it was a buzzing sound and then i felt it whisper in my ear but i could not make it out cause it had a weird fuzzy electric voice. The thing was i got upset and yield at it.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

hi, im 31 and have had sleep paralysis since i was 17 mainly when i have not had enough sleep and when my body is stressed. yes they have always terrified me but i now know that u cant help but feel fear as there is a mixture of fear hormones released during it no matter how used to them u r. Well im sure u are aware of all the scientific things about them and how to help urself during them but i would like to add one of my own recent experiences that may help u. I have never much been a believer in the out of body experiences until a few weeks ago. i was lying on the sofa and was just about to go over to sleep when i had on of those jump starts that reawaken u and almost instantly the usual feeling of sleep paralysis begining,marked by the rushing sound. I said to my self its ok im ok and for some strange reason i felt my self relax, not ur usual sleep paralysis stuff. But i realised the rushing sound was still there and i just felt weightless so i said to myself lets try this then and i willed my self to float upwards. I must point out i still had my eyes closed i was too scared to open them,incase of wat i might have seen. I then stopped going upwards it was like i just couldnt go any further, the rushing sound had stopped and i thought i might open my eyes but as soon as i went to the rushing sound started again as i felt myself falling down so i kept them closed and the sound stopped and so did the falling feeling.After 10 more seconds or so i willed my self gently back down until i could feel pressure on my back and then opened my eyes. Very strange experience and some have called it an obe though im still sceptical as i never did open my eyes to see if i could see my body lying on the sofa. All i know is that i was about to have another nasty sleep paralysis experience and by telling my self its ok im ok i seemed to overt the nasty side of it all and probably gained an out of body experience if there are such things. Next time i will open my eyes though lol

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Work on your sleeping habits/patterns.

That should do the trick, however, there really is no official way on stopping Sleep Paralysis forever. It's nothing to be afraid of either, just lay back and try to enjoy the horrifying ride. I know I do.

First time I had an experience was in my bed. I was just falling asleep, my cat was at the end of the bed. I opened my eyes and saw a shadow walk past my window. I thought nothing of it and closed my eyes again.

A moment later I felt pressure on the bed coming closer to my head. Thinking it was my cat, I ignored it until it got to my pillow. When I opened my eyes, I saw a figure come to me. Not being able to move nor breath, I was terrified. But it happens.

Another time was when I took a trip to England. I was staying in my friend's attic. I woke up from a dream, couldn't move and heard some demonic whispering in my ear. I eventually woke up completely and was ok.

Like I said, it happens

[edit on 27-8-2008 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This is something is a very real thing, unless we are talking about something which is also quite different. I am no expert on tricks of the mind. However, it may be that there is sleep paralysis and there is as also a very spiritual-type thing going on. I am one to have seen these things, not only myself mind you, others as well. I do want to mention, I just found something which mentions gins in the bible as spirits of workers of inequity. I do not believe that all people who have had this experience are what you might call evil. I just believe - know rather that it is real and that perhaps it is beyond our level of comprehension. I think that perhaps people are oppressed by evil spirits, whether or not that sounds irrational, if you really read through the Bible or have any belief in what it has to say, the realness of it I don't think there's even a need for questioning. But, tell that to an atheist. Who knows?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
i'm 15 years old and i've been experiencing sleep paralasis since i was about 8. i never actually figured out what was happening to me until this year when i looked up my symptoms on google. before i figured out what this really was i always thought a demon was trying to posses me. i've never felt someone chocking me or pressure against my chest. mostly just tingles. but to answer your question, this is what happens in my episodes:
- it almost always happens right before falling asleep...rarely right before i wake up.
- i can tell it's going to happen right before it occurs but i can't really stop it.
- what happens is i open my eyes and i cannot move... at all. except for my eyes. i try to yell sometimes but nothin ever comes out.
- i feel tingly all over and i feel a bad pressence around. although i've never 'seen' anything. i just feel somethin else is in the room with me.
- i focus on trying to move my arm up into the air and it doesn't usually work
- my episodes never last long. the longest is probably 2 minutes.
- my heart always beats super fast.
- after the episode i'm sort of unwilling to try & go back to sleep because i hate this feeling & don't want it to happen again.
- i've started to realize it always happens when i am laying on my back.
- it doesn't happen every night but usually 3 times a month or so.
- i've never hallucinated. just felt an evil pressence around.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Hello Guys,

I have had this sleep paralysis for as long as i can remember. (32 now)I thought I was the only one to just recently. I did not know what to expect just by looking it up on the computer, I was really suprised. I have tried everything for this to stop. (yes, i have tried the water thing, it does not work)It really freaks me the hell out, and I'll get into that in a sec. The only thing that made it stop was when I was on zoloft for a couple of years. It did not even make it stop, it just lessened the number of episodes I had. I would only get maybe 1 or 2 episodes every few months. Once I stopped taking zoloft it kicked into overdrive. Been off the zoloft for a year and a half now. I get 2 or 3 episodes a week. It happens usually the same. Low frequency vibrations, body feels heavy, then cant move, hear strange sounds, start seeing shadow people around me, feel my jaw lock open, my tounge freezes itself to the roof of my mouth, my head feels like it is jerking rapidly from one side to the next, then after 30 sec it feels like I'm being ripped out of my body. Its pretty sad I am used to this. But here comes the strange #. After it feels like I am ripped out of my body, I am sent/appear somewhere else. I cant describe it. There are things/people/something there and they show me things. All these things I see COME TRUE!!! It is pure hell. I have kept journals. I have recorded myself describing dreams. Just to have some proof that my dreams were happenning and then it was happening in real life. Its all coming true. I thought I was nuts for a while phyching myself into things and physically making my dreams come true, but I am not. I have just recently told some people of my dreams, and sure enough, they looked at me like I was nuts, I dont blame them, but then the dream comes true, and they look at me even weirder. I wish I had dreams of the lottery numbers, but it just doesn't work that way. It is no physicall explanation for me to know these things. It does not make sense. And no, I do not believe in god or spiritual crap. I know you guys have the sleep paralysis, but do any of you see things and then they come true? I can't be the only one. There has to be more. I have looked on the internet without any luck of finding anyone. I have had some really bad dreams, vey bad. If there are others with this, they are probably having the same dreams. I do not want to get into the dreams, but if you are out there, you know the dream, please come forword. Everything comes true, it scares the # out of me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join