It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tormented by sleep paralysis - Need feedback

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I'm new to ATS, however not unfamiliar with an ongoing experience that continues to terrify me on a DAILY BASIS.

It is known as "sleep paralasis" and is associated with sleep disorders such as narcolepsy.

For those who are not familiar with it, it comes during a sleep stage and renders one immobile, usually unable to move or cry for help... I have had times where the most I could do is scream, only to produce a whimper. Many times it is followed by an irritating sound -- sometimes dark laughter, a bell ringing, buzzing, or a helicopter taking off.

My userid kanashibari is the japanese term for this (translates to "bound by metal") and could originate from the inability to move well in samurai armor. It is also linked to another japanese word, "SHUGENDO" or "the way of harnessing spiritual powers".

THIS is where I have become curious. Has anyone out there experienced this so much as to have an idea of the possibility of spiritual purpose? Could this terrifying occurrence have a bigger sPIRITUAL or even PSYCHIC function???????

I've had someone tell me that it was the soul trying to leave the body, and then getting stuck.

ANY suggestions are SERIOUSLY appreciated, and I would love to hear some of your personal experiences as well.

Please note that I am aware of the scientific explanations like narcolepsy, brain function, hypnagogic hallucinations, safety from acting out dreams etc... I have dealt with this almost nightly since I can remember... perhaps 7 yrs old or younger.

I am more interested in comparing experiences and reading some of your theories, as the experiences I continue to have are far too intense to simply excuse as a natural occurrence.

Thank you all for your time in this matter, and thanks to ATS for creating such a site to help us educate one another on things we don't understand and thus often fear.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kanashibari

You mentioned this being a sleep disorder. There are sleep disorder clinics you can go to where they will monitor you while you sleep.

Have you discussed this with your physician? They can probably suggest a clinic to you. There might be a physical reason why you experience this so often. You would go to your Dr. for other health issues, so why are you waiting on this?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Curiousity. As I stated, I am aware of what the scientific and medical community theorizes this to be. I guess you could say I want a second opinion.

I see a doc, I've had testing. During testing I remembered seeing the whole room, the wires and electronic devices, lights, ceiling, etc... I was told my eyes had never opened.

This of course is just my word, and doctors won't accept that it happened. Furthermore, I cannot accept that I did not see what i did.

Don't worry, I don't need medical help, as I've dealt with this all my life (I'm 29). I just want to study this repeating occurrence and learn as much as I can.

I feel that comparing someone else's experience to mine, or listening to some theories outside the sleep disorder clinic will give me more material to work with, and less fear and confusion to suffer from, as the clinic only left me with more questions than I had arrived with.

Sedatives will put me to sleep, but they don't educate.

The hypnagogic hallucinations thing may be true, but I just cannot accept this theory as there is no proof and no way of obtaining it. Also, why would the body produce such a mechanism? Respiratory arrest is such a bum trade for acting out dreams.

So E.F., have you experienced this? If so, have you been able to accept it as simply a sleep disorder and absolutely nothing more?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Hi there, sorry to hear about your experiences....

I myself have suffered from this experience and like most others who have, do actually believe there is something more going on than what the Doctors say it is...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check the link for a list of searched topics.

I hope this helps.

Also google it and you'll find some info there

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I can only seem to get sleep paralysis when I fall asleep on my back.

Do you mostly sleep on your back?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I too experience sleep paralysis, I experience the noises too, as well as sensations of intense fear and the feeling of being poked and prodded. I used to find it terrifying.

Your experience in the medical room is common with those of us who use sleep paralysis for astral projection. Seeing through closed eyelids is thought of as being the result of your brow chakra becoming active (or open) allowing you the use of your third (all seeing) eye.

My own view is that during sleep paralysis our consciousness becomes detached from the body and exists within a more subtle form within you - a soul or spirit some would say. This of course would explain why you would have trouble moving up until you re-integrate with your body.

If your mind is open to possibilities you can try an experiment which I am sure will give you something to think about.

The next time you experience sleep paralysis do not try to fight it, nor should you be surprised or scared by any noises and sensations. Try to be impassive and relaxed. This is of course easier to say than to do! I find the best way is to just be like "Oh, there's that girl screaming in terror a few inches from my ear", "Oh, there is a train right inside my bathroom", etc. Just accept the noises, acknowledge they are there but don't allow them to bring on an emotional response - particularly fear or anger. Usually for me the loud noises are then replaced with more subtle noises such as my mobile phone ringing or my house mates calling me. It really is as though some cunning entity is attempting to distract me. Just keep accepting the noises.

Next try to imagine you are falling. Just pick a scenario that suits you, whether it be a falling elevator, a free fall from a plane, a drop down a well or even a fall off your bed into an abyss. Whatever you imagine, just try to imagine it as vividly as possible. Try to feel the air rushing around you, the lurch in your stomach and the feeling of weightlessness as you fall out of control.

If this brings on any sensations don't fight them just remain impassive and see where it takes you.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
[more

Yes, I experience this from time to time. What I have found for me, is that when I do experience this, it is during periods of my life when I am under extreme stress. I don't know how it is related, stress wise, though.

I also think what happens is, that your consciousness wakes up before your body does. Outside of normal sleep mode functions, your body is at rest, and sometimes it can take a while for things like movement and hearing to catch up.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I have about 4-5 episodes per year. I had one about 3 years ago that was
terrifying beyond description. I went from knowing I was dreaming, to finding myself in a black, infinite void. I asked myself "Where am I?", and then it seemed as if I was "gone", or had become disconnected from everything. (I simply cant describe this part of it accurately)
Suddenly, I didnt know who I was! I remember saying: "I'm losing my mind!" That's when I really panicked. I tried to scream for all I was worth. My girlfriend was awakened by my desperate whimpering, and she shook me awake. It scared the hell out of her. I was afraid if I told her what had happened, she would get really freaked out. I just said: "Oh God! I felt like I was falling!"
She held me really tight for a long time, which restored my shaken sanity!

I think I either had a serious left-brain misfiring, or some *&@%^# demon was
messin with me. I have had some hallucinatory sleep paralysis episodes, some really scary stuff...but this was way off the charts. I've often wondered if anyone else has had experiences as crazy\terrifying as that one. I sure hope I never have another one.

edit: I wanted to mention that after the crazy episode, I did some research on sleep paralysis and "night terrors", and there is evidence that it can affect entire geographical areas, like an epidemic. Very strange.

"There is evidence that HSP seems to affect an area much like an epidemic. A region that has had no HSPs reported may all of a sudden be innundated by sleepers suffering from HSP. Though this is relatively new research it seems regions stay infected for upwards to three years, with the most common being only a few months. There is of yet no explanation for this."

I saved that from a old Usenet page.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by lw2525]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I have had it happen to me only 6 times in my life. My first experience was when I was around 18 and ceased when I was about 35. OP, it is a horrifying thought that you experience this daily. There has been nobody in my life that I have ever been able to share this with. When I told my family about it, they thought I was nuts. It wasn't until I found a site about sleep paralysis one day, that I thought I may have the answer.

I have seen everything from blacker than black shadows in my room hovering to whispering in my ear in a language I could not understand. A preacher friend said I was being attacked by evil spirits.

After about the second time I figured out, at least with me, when it would happen. I would feel feverish and would have multiple short dreams occurring and fear as I would begin to go to sleep. It was never a good experience, but If I may have learned to relax through it all I felt as if I may have gone on a journey, kinda hard to explain that one.

As Enthralled Fan said, I would have my episodes when I was very stressed or had been sleep deprived. kanashibari, I hope you find your answer. I hope we all find the answer to this. I'm glad I don't experience it anymore!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I had another minor experience again about two days ago.

'woke up' on my side, paralysed, but aware.... then got that strange rush of electric that I usually get, I thought to myself 'oh here we go again' and when I opened my eyes I saw something just out of my eye range, like a semi-invisible head with a face, but everchanging without a proper form.

Then I heard my friend talking to me but his voice was all distorted and I felt suddenly very heavy, but this time I managed to break from the spell before it got too intense...

The third one I've had this year...

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Sleep paralysis.

This is probably one of my favorite topics to discuss as well as to experience, as odd as it sounds. Ever since I was a young child I can remember having episodes of sleep paralysis, sometimes several seperate events each night. I used to literally be scared to go to sleep because of the frequency and intensity that my sleep paralysis endured. After a while though, you start to notice the onset of an event, and with practice are able to use that state to achieve an OOBE.

Sleep paralysis for me isnt just when I lie on my back. I have had sleep paralysis occur on my side, as well as while sitting up in a chair after falling asleep at work. The fear that is nothing short of overwhelming during the onset for some reason is almost like a drug to me. Its hard to explain this feeling of immense dread unless you yourself have experienced this first hand, but after its gone, I regret not taking advantage of the situation - I enjoy it all too much.

Now why in the hell would someone enjoy such a horrible feeling? Because with practice, you are able to use the state of paralysis to "roll" out of your physical body, or "fall" out of, and end up in an extremely lucid dream and/or astral journeys. I have always been quite unlucky when trying the Monroe technique for astral projection - Whenever I get to the intense vibrations, for some reason I end up ruining the attempt due to excitement, and sometimes fear. But, when using sleep paralysis as a catalyst, I am able to successfully remove myself from the physical.

This happens on the average of three to four times a month, with each time leaving me with a little better understanding of what signs or feelings to keep an eye out for. The number one sign for me is a very loud rushing, almost train like sound - Whenever I hear this, I am 100% certain that I will be able to induce a lucid dream and enjoy it as if I were fully rested and awake. The only problem I have though, is not being able to "will" myself to certain locations that I constantly try to journey to. Every time, EVERY time, I seperate from the physical I try to jump myself to the surface of our moon. I have yet to be successful at this.. I have no problems flying around my neighborhood, passing through the walls of my house, and generally enjoying myself - but when I try to visit the unknown, places that generally are forbidden to most, I am unable to. I would love to hear of any suggestions by the way if anyone has any.

So in conclusion - embrace the sleep paralysis event. As hard and absolutely absurd this my sound, with practice you will learn to actually learn to use them to your advantage - so many similarities I have noticed between people who are on the verge of a successful OOBE as to people who experience these events. I find that the more I try to have an OOBE, the more episodes of sleep paralysis I have as well. Just take it as a sign that you are very close to your goal - and the only thing holding you back is your fear.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I totally agree with your post

After attempting OOBe's and lucid dreaming a few times, it seemed the higher the chance I would experience an attack of sleep paralysis.

Common things I would experience included:

Buzzing and/or electrical shock feelings (but inside my body and brain, starting from my feet all the way to my head)

Extremely distorted sounds - e.g one time I was convinced that a kind of metallic frog had somehow gotten into my radiator becuase that's the only way I can describe the sounds coming from it. Really scary.

Also distant unearthly sounds and frequencies

Hallucinations: Seeing figures, friends, shapeless forms, darkness and odd hallucinations like floating clock things and strange objects that I cannot describe.

Feelings: or emotions, usually ranging from uncomfortable unease or all the way to sheer panic and occasionally a horrible feeling of being watched from something extremely close to me (less than a meter behind me).

But as a result, I have also managed to have a couple of amazing lucid dreams (either on their own or following the event), including one where I was flying down the side of a beautiful mountain where ever colour was enhanced and a feeling of ... love or ecstacy.

Unfortunately OOBe's are just beyond my reach and I've only ever had one and that was when I was young and feverish (with the flu)...

But although I do understand that sleep paralysis occurs due to supposedy waking your brain while your body sleeps, the resulting hormones(?) cause confliciting half awake/half asleep experiences...

I ask one question... where do we go when we sleep???

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I remember I use to have these "dreams" almost every night. At first you're very scared and don't even know whats going on, then after you've been doing it for some time, you get use to it.

After you know more about it, it's actually quite fun!

You could control them more easy, and they arent that scary.

I tend to have this OBE when I lay on my back with my head facing up.

Does anybody know why that is?

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan

You mentioned this being a sleep disorder. There are sleep disorder clinics you can go to where they will monitor you while you sleep.

I believe the brain is being deprived of oxygen during your sleep state. Since I cannot afford to submit myself to a sleep study and ultimately obtain one of those CPAP machines and CPAP masks for the treatment of sleep apnea, if any, I choose a simple remedy instead.

Based on my personal experiences, I am able to sleep better with a simple over the counter remedy – nasal spray. I am currently trying to use up this medicated nasal spray and buy the more expensive, holistic, non-medicated nasal spray that one could find at the local drug store.

OOBe's and lucid dreaming are as real as watching oneself in a live televised programming. I've experienced less of these 'paranormal' events ever since I used my nasal spray, which lasts around twelve (12) hours between each spray. (I hope these 'nasal sprays' aren't ruining my chances of astral traveling more!)

BTW, I have sinus congestion and possibly due to allergies and my deviated septum on the left side.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
okie i only took time to read the first post . so if someone had already said this .. then oh well .. bare with me for a second.

you are experienceing and out of body experience. lately we have been attempting those while consious.. THAT WOULD BEE FUNNNN!!
anyways

its normal nothign to worry about . i usually get then 2 times a week. its when the spirit leaves the body for some fresh air. to get away from ego,problems,things that make us feel bad etc. your paralysed because your spirit is slipping back into your body. so i guess it dosne't want you to move when it goes in. anyways, i hate it lol

[edit on 29-12-2007 by diegomt]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
If you rationalize it, you can tell yourself that you have lived through the experience daily for the past 28 years and just try to ride it out. I just posted in another thread this very same story:

When I was a young girl I read a fictional story involving astral projection, and so now when I start to feel a sleep paralysis event coming on I get extremely frightened because I think I am leaving my body vulnerable to be taken over by someone else. Its stupid- Im a grown woman and I cant be sure that I am really leaving my body. Fear makes me fight it, however, and thus the experience is 100 times worse than it needs to be. I actually feel exhausted the next day.

Maybe you are also afraid of the thought of leaving your body and are fighting the sensation. In the back of your mind you are scared that you might not make it back.
Well, you woke up OK all these other times, so you really have nothing to fear.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It's true, fear is the anchor that binds us in this plane, every day our subconscious is exposed by thousands of images and words and symbols that either distract us, or create fear and irrational paranoia...

So when in the near state of OOBe'ing, I suppose the fear of stepping into the unknown is what causes us to hold back, and that's why we get the nasty jolt.

Then, in the half awake, half asleep paralysed state of semidreaming, our minds then bombard us with a terrifying sensory overload, and I've never seen anything or heard anything stranger in my life, except in this state.

I suppose my rational mind believes its the manifestations of our fear, that in our lucid state, create the shadow beings and figures and strange sounds... a combination of relaxative hormones and adrenaline, and a touch of the imagination.

But i cannot shake the creepy feeling that other entities 'feed' or observe us when in these unnusual states.

Just too many similarities.

Also, the sounds... I've heard chatter, noises, undescribable sounds that feel like i'm tuning into elsewhere....

On a side note, I'm also into the idea that stages of consciousness can take your mind elsewhere and maybe activate various parts of the brain, like remote viewing etc... A story I read somewhere about a kid playing wrestling with his pal, unfortunately he got into too tight a headlock or something and passed out...
Then spent the next few years of his life in a bizarre world, where humans lived in strange circular stone buildings and everything was not quite right, yet strangely familiar... a feeling of nostalgia or melancholy overwhelmed him....

But in actual fact he was out cold for about six seconds, but he swore it felt like forever.... and felt terribly sad to come back here...

and another story of a bloke, who shall we say experimented with a certain illegal substance and reported many times that he often visited a strange place of humanoids in purple hoods, in a bizarre realm.
Fair enough, a typical story of somebody taking chemicals you may say...

But years later he went to a car boot sale and spotted a hauntingly familiar sight in a painting... he studied it and saw in fascination that everything in it was like the place he had visited, purple hooded figures and strange alien environment
He then asked the bloke where he got the inspiration for the painting and was told in a hushed tone, that it was on the exact same substance and it was what he himself had experienced on that trip, many times....

Incidentally, the two blokes also agreed that when they visited this place, they felt very unwelcome and intrusive.

So basically what I'm getting at, is maybe it's just all coincidence that OOBe'rs and sleep paralysis victims experience similar journeys and witness the dark figures, or maybe... just maybe something far more interesting is out there and we are only just getting to it.

Just food for thought anyhow.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I am a bit prejudiced against "shadow people". to be honest- I dont think anything good can come of them. I wonder if we appear the same way to them. Perhaps your wrestler and the painter were shadow people in the other realm, hence the uneasiness.

You know we have dreams in seconds, but sometimes they feel like they go on for days or more. I sometime dream epic sagas during micro-naps.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

just found this topic too...

Yeah, in regards to the shadow people, that's a term I've heard bandying around lately, but in all honesty I DO believe there are sub-levels of our dimension and that maybe things can see us, but we can't see them....

and maybe we have different energy patterns when we sleep and they are attracted to us...

I love the idea that 'we' are the shadow people in 'their' world or wherever it is...

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have had this too. I used to do it when I was in High School...scared the heck out of me..I would wake up my brother and make him sit up with me ..I was afraid to go back to sleep..!!!! He would say "Get of the drugs Gin..thing is I never used drugs!!!
I would KNOW I was awake..but couldnt move or scream...I would feel and hear evil..I knew and still say it was demons. I would look at my alarm clock on my headboard without moveing my head..just my eyes and it would be like 12 am..then when I finally could move I would look at the clock and it would say like 12:01 am!!! I still do this on occasion and I always have and still do say a prayer..something like "I plead the blood of Jesus" then I will feel that sensation of "dropping" or "falling" and I can move again.
My husband was baptised about 2 years ago and I had told him of this happening to me and I think he thought I was a bit nutty..but the night after he was baptised..it happened to him!! My daughter has had it happen to her also. And the one guy who was the guitar player for CORN..he left the band and became a Christian..in his book he tells of this happening to him also!!
TRY the prayer if you are a born again Christian..God WILL hear you calling and the Devil can mess with you but cant touch you if you are Gods..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join