It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Doner Kebab Meat Mystery

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
I think these people had some of that meat..

LOLERZ @ DFB!!

Being an American this is what I was thinking they were talking about as well!!

I hope one of these Brits will get descriptive about this so called DONER MEAT.....as it sounds to me much like something DONATED out of desperation, and not something one would 'seek out'...........

[edit on 23-12-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

Lol! No I don't think it is made of dead people.. but you never know.

In a nutshell, Doner meat is a big chunk of processed meat on a stick that is cooked infront of a spit in 'chip shops' and kebab shops. The top layer is sliced off and served on pitta or naan bread with salad and chilli or other sauces. It's as greasy as hell but it tastes gooood!

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
just to contribute a bit to this tasty discussion, here's what we call a "shawarma" back where I'm from.

Shawarma

this is made out of meat strips cut from the skewered beast featured on the image below

this one kinda looks similar to this doner meat of yours

[edit on 12.26.07 by toreishi]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

I like Shawarma. I'll eat Shawarma from a good place in the middle east any day of the week. I would never touch Donner Kebab though. While it is true shawarma can be dodgy in that it is often left to fester under heat lamps for extended periods of time like Donner Kebabs often are, Donner Kebabs are mystery meat. Shawarma looks and tastes like it is made from from slices of real meat. Donner is more hot dog like in texture.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I don't know how to reply to the above post, being unfortunate enough not to have tasted this donner meat of yours but; UGH!

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

To be fair, I have not tasted Donner either. I have not been "fortunate" enough to be both intoxicated in the UK and near an open Donner kebab shop at the same time. Nevertheless, any sober person can look at Donner and tell something is not just right with it. This is not to say that a rotating glob of greasy, gelatinous, meat-like material might hit the spot after a six or seven pints.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The meat comes in a big sack. They flatten it into pancakes and slide the pancakes one on top of the other on the spit then smooth it off.

Like Churchill said, "It is better we do not know how Laws and sausages are made."

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I have just come across this video on Youtube showing the manufacturing process of kebab meat. Although it doesn't really give you an idea of 'what else' is in it, it gives you an idea of how its made... not particularly appealing...

Please be warned that the video shows animal slaughter and blood... not good for veggies or the squeamish.

Link

Anyone for a kebab?

[edit on 28-12-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
thanks for the video, it led me to this one which explains what's in them:

youtube.com...

apparently, its basically the trim and leftovers from real cuts of meat. Just like hotdogs. Let's just say it's not kosher.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Wow, i'm surprised by that! Hmm maybe it isn't so bad afterall

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Wow, i'm surprised by that! Hmm maybe it isn't so bad afterall

ha, i wouldn't go that far. "Bad" in relation to "worse" is still bad.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Well put it this way.. It's guaranteed that I will still eat it. It would take something ultra disgusting to stop me eating something. Im sure the meat that goes into sausages and other processed meat is as bad if not worse.

I was hoping that I would find something that would put me off but so far, I haven't

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Well put it this way.. It's guaranteed that I will still eat it. It would take something ultra disgusting to stop me eating something. Im sure the meat that goes into sausages and other processed meat is as bad if not worse.

I was hoping that I would find something that would put me off but so far, I haven't

well maybe I can help. Instead of worrying about what's in the meat, think about how clean and sanitary the guy / place is that you buy this stuff from. I'm not sure I've ever seen a shop selling these types of Kebabs that I would trust. Then again, I ate a guinea pig in Peru, and that place was far from sterile. At least I could tell what it was though, it still had a face.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
it's no worse than any other processed food by the look of things, certainly no worse than the 50 units of alcohol you have to neck to make them tempting. the scare stories mean i wouldn't touch one sober though, but in fairness it doesn't take much to put me off my food, a friend once asked me had i ever seen a chinese funeral, thats made me nervous every time i order scezwan beef ever since.

i still order it though.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well I have been to some dodgy places, but most of the time, I buy a kebab from a chippy, I don't know where you're from but In the UK they are everywhere and local knowledge tells me which are the decent ones and which ones to avoid.

I think, the fact that I have never been made ill by a kebab helps.. if I was ever given food poisoning I would think twice.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
To me it's no difference than a hot dog and bologna. A big glob of meat someone figured out they can still sell instead of just discarding it. Makes perfect sense to me.

If the animal is to be slaughtered anyhow why not use the whole thing like the Indians did right? I didn't like the videos of the lambs though.

I think for now I'll stay an urban hunter at grocery stores

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Mate, I could care less what is in a kebab...

All I know is, after 3 bands, 6 hours and a skin full of grog, having a kebab is a godsend...

However, what you must do is this...

When you get home after said kebab, you MUST drink a litre of water no matter what, even if it takes you half an hour and either 3 x ibuprofen (200mg) OR (2x 500) of panadol (whatever the name is in the US/Canada)...

This is almost guaranteed to reduce hangover symptoms in my experience...

But lets face it, the lamb and garlic wrap at the end of the night is the crowning glory to any great night out that involves music and booze...

Am I right punters, or what ?

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   

You are right in that the things that go into Donner are no worse than the things that go into sausages, hot dogs, hamburgers and the like. What makes Donner particularly dodgy is that it is often left to fester under a heat lamp for several days. Sausages and the like are often cooked up fresh.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Ok dunno why this thread popped up on the recent thread list..Anonymous poster maybe?

Anyway I notice a few fellow Aussies posted here about the beauty of having a kebab after a big night at the pub, so I thought I would post an ad for one of our beers and how the kebab is a crucial part of our pub culture

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Doner Kebab SHOCK!!!!
It has MEAT in it????????

I thought it was the scrapings off the toilet floor with a bit of Lamb toenails,scrotum and eyebrows thrown in for appearance.

Nice after a few beers though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join