It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

respect on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Post starred and flagged ----

It's my understanding that ATS/BTS is a place to discuss issues. Not a place to belittle each other or for name calling.

As an example, I don't mind it if someone says "Christians believe witches will go to Hell"

However if the poster says "All witches should go to Hell", I take that personally regardless of my beliefs.

nuff said...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
This is why I think that most religions are dangerous. Have you noticed that the top religions are from the middle east and when they were formed they always seem to try and out do the previous religions like their in some sort of competition in who's religion is better. They are the problems with this world. If you would get rid of the top 3 religions there would be allot more peace on earth.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Sam Harris, in The End of Faith, makes a very good point that religious tolerance allows fundamentalist extremists the space they need to create terror and havoc.

I tend to agree with him. Why should we be tolerant of people's beliefs in invisible friends? Every single sky fairy cult on earth is holding back the advancement of science and knowledge, from stem cell research to true world peace. If we have to be tolerant of one sect, then it is a given we have to be tolerant of all. I prefer to be tolerant of none. I see no use for religion in the real world, and think we'd all be better off without it. Its time has passed. We don't need god to explain how things work anymore, we have actual knowledge.

I'd actually like to see a day when religion is completely private, much like people's other questionable activities. If someone wants to practice, let them do it in their own homes behind closed doors, like medical cannabis people and kinky sex enthusiasts have to do now.

If people can't handle having their beliefs questioned, they need to stay off the forum, IMO.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Why? Religious people see nothing to be ashamed of, and I don't see that changing anytime in the foreseeable future (why should it?). I believe the OT was referring to respect, not acceptance of belief. I find it odd that you talk about religion holding back true world peace when you on a personal level are unwilling to tolerate people with different views then you. You are public about your views, why can't a religious person be so (hide behind closed doors.. Why)?

The point is to hold back from throwing around such names as 'hell-bound soulless heathen' or 'mentally deficient believer of sky fairies'. Sure, you may be right, but wouldn't it be nicer to be polite? No reason to hold back your views, but intelligent discussion should be possible without veiled insults.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The thread asked my opinion. I stated it.

That's how I feel, I see no need to make apology for it, or to change it.

The world would be better off without religion in my opinion, and I see no need to "tolerate" delusion.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
When it comes to a religion that wants to convert everyone to their beliefs and kill the ones who refuse to comply, then I say the hell with their beliefs and what they want. If the religion is not threatning to others and it isn't forced upon me then I respect them because they respect me in a sense. As far as here on ATS goes, if it complies with the T&C's then I don't care what anyone says about anything or anyone. This is a discussion board with debates, new idea's and a freedom to disagree with one another. The trolls and people who do break the rules are banned or warned. So say what you feel in your heart and mind, but be within the terms and conditions of this wonderful board.

Beside's" it's fun reading some of the heated debates that come through here.

[edit on 12/27/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It is my understanding that civility and decorum are required here.

Consider this thread (for full disclosure's sake, the thread appeared *after* this thread was created) but even before then a crackdown had begun on rude behavior.

/tn.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

As far as I can see, this thread (in the form of it's OP) asked 2 things:

1) Is it that hard to show respect for others?

2) If you can't show a bit of respect is there any point in trying to talk to the other party?

My answer to both of them is probably a no. Your answer to both of them is probably a yes. What I am curious at now is how your reason for the first Yes seems to be nothing more than "Because I feel like it". It is very easy to take quotes from books and justify yourself using them (like someone using their scriptures, or you using 'The End of Faith' in your previous post), but a book is not a reason. One has to balance out everything one reads/experiences with logic.

So my question to you is "Why is it okay to be intolerant against someone you don't share the same opinion with, and how can you quote intolerance of some religions as a reason to be intolerant towards religion? I'd even be happy if you expounded on that point you picked off that book- that religious tolerance allows extremists the chance to create terror and havoc (where tolerance is taken in the sense meant by this thread). Neither I, nor anybody else here (as far as I can see) is asking for an apology.

[edit on 27-12-2007 by babloyi]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I guess I'll throw my two cents into the collection plate.

"Wear your faith in your heart, and not on your sleeve."

kinda simple.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join