It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the Bible Be Questioned

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
OK, I have read many of the post placed my the misinformed and misguided losers that say there are conspiracies with the bible and etc. In all truth God have man a conscience a...Free-Will so to speak that we may choose either to love and serve him or to love the world. But forgive me for my name calling but this is a topic i feel shouldn't be in questioned. Ok either you believe or you dont, its as simple as that. What it the point of making up different religions, cult, and sects just to make believers irritated. Sure its funny to watch us go off sometime, Heck i will raise a topic at church just to get a debate going. But in the end it doesn't even matter. lol..*no pun intended*...But seriously folks, just leave it at the believeing or not believing and please quit pulling useless topic out of your bums just to prove a point everyone else isn't going to believe. If you really have so much free time read the bible and then post something worth reading.....maybe you can convince me otherwise, but i refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
So do you believe that the Bible is infallible? You have NEVER had questions about anything it says?
Did you read, nazirene.org...
Have you thought deeply about what you believe and why?

There is nothing wrong with believing in the Bible, unless you believe in it with blind faith. You have to meditate on it's message and examine your heart constantly if you truly want to find God. Blind faith is an insult to God and it limits your connection with It.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Everything should be questioned, especially anything that comes packaged and repackaged as the "word of god".

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Everything should be questioned, especially anything that comes packaged and repackaged as the "word of god".

wise words

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

VERY TRUE MA!!

Simply compare it to any communication of today or hundreds of years ago even. We communicate daily with each other using encryption and logging information to verify authenticity of plain old emails to each other.

Kings would stamp their messages with a wax seal and use only the most trusted messengers when communications were of upmost importance.

When it comes to verification of the "All Mighty Word of God & Creator/Master of Everything" I'd say you better make sure what you're reading is 100% pure!! Taking into consideration the many Scriptures that have been translated and altered a little here and there, plus the infinite variations of interpretations by all Christians and Clergy and Scholar......I would personally be careful about claiming how perfect and infoulable the word is by this day and age.

IMO such a divine message of God might have been better preserved by keeping it out of the hands of Men! Of course, it is said that God is Everywhere, and if you know how to listen, God will speak to you. So perhaps one could set the book down and get the message straight from the source?!?!?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

AMEN

And you damed sure question ANYTHING that demands blind faith without question

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
of course it should be questioned...it has been translated..rewritten a billion times.. who know how manytimes it was modified.....

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Not only modified... it was most likely a lie to begin with. A lie that has been modified and changed, is still a lie.

There exists either Truth, or NOT truth. It doesn't matter who speaks it, or whether it is attributed to some "God". It is always wise to dissect, analyze, and dig deep and find out what is truth or what is not. Believing it is true because it says it is true and is written by an infallible being is circular logic, and the most ignorant thing humans have managed to do. But thus is life, and the lessons that it comes with.

It is VERY wise to always question absolutely EVERYTHING without exception, and use your own mind to come to conclusions. That's why you have a mind, unless you of course prefer to let others do the thinking for you, then religion is the way to go.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
A little touchy, aren't we, Kilroy
Do I sense a bit of self-righteousness?

But while you're being so defensive, may I just point out that it's not too christ-like to be telling people what they should and shouldn't do? God said himself, according to scripture, that all that men touch becomes corrupted. It's simply a function of our knowledge of good and evil. So when I read a book about God, written and re-written by the hands of wealthy and powerful men, (Constantine, Emperor of Rome, King James) knowing that faith is a motivator, and that power corrupts, I'm going to scrutinize. HARD! It's too important a subject to simply assume that what we've been told for 2000 years is the truth, the whole truth, God help their souls.

And as far as refusing to engage in a battle of wits with one who is unarmed, first I would advise a dropping of the attitude, then maybe doing a little homework, and last but not least, PRAY!

ME

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Of course the Bible should be questioned! I have questioned every word I have ever read in it.

And you should ask ME for the answers you seek.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Should?
It's gone through majopr scrutiny for ages. From kautsky, Weber, Karl Marx.
Deep

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Wasn't the whole purpose of the Bible to make man question himself and his actions?
If somebody poses you a question don't you think it only wise to find out what their motives are?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Wasn't the whole purpose of the Bible to make man question himself and his actions

Yes, I believe this is coherent in most doctrines, eastern to western.
Though, hes asking if we should question the basic tenants of the " Bible ".

Deep

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It's not only the words in the bible but also its interpretation. Two people could read the same passage and come to two diffent conclusions. Read Revelations and the shake your head,what was that? You might think that John wrote it on '___'.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

Wasn't the whole purpose of the Bible to make man question himself and his actions

Yes, I believe this is coherent in most doctrines, eastern to western.
Though, hes asking if we should question the basic tenants of the " Bible ".

Deep

I thought my next sentence summed that up.

The Old Testament is full of controversy. It contradicts itself time and time again and seems to me to be very political in it's outlook. Without questioning it, you understand nothing.

On the other hand, I find it very difficult to question the New Testament as a whole. Jesus' teachings are what I believe we should all aspire to. It doesn't matter to me if he was a god or a man as it's what he says that counts in my opinion.

What should be questioned is how religions and churches have defined the Bible. Most people are aware in their hearts about what is right and wrong so when a church twists the pure meaning of the words I find it more relevant to question the church than the book itself. I use the book as a reference point and although there is much that I don't understand (and obviously I question that) I find that the underlying fact is that the Bible, or at least the NT, does have a pure motive.

Of course there was much that was left out and there were some pieces that were changed but with advances in theology in the West we can uncover a lot of that missing information. I found it also helps to look at history when studying the Bible. The formation of Christianity, Paulian thought, Constantine, Christian sects and the Council of Nicea have all helped me to make my own mind up about what I should follow and what I should disregard as man's editing for influence and power.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
All things happening or which has happened or going to do have scientific explanation. So everything happening in the time of the bible stories couldn't be or wouldn't be cause otherwhise the leaders (religieus Leaders) would lose there might and the position now we can look at the stories with our knowlegde and understanding of things and you will see things are different than the leaders of the religions say.
So words about Angels coming down from the skies, are
just Alien life forms bringing a visit.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
When I made my decision out of high school to attend the BYU, as a non-LDS member I questioned everything, The Bible, the Book of Mormon. Why shouldn't I? Even now I still question these documents.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You should question everything.

But I have a question in response to your question:

Should we question the satanic bible or any other religious or spiritual or moral tract?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Should we question the satanic bible or any other religious or spiritual or moral tract?

Deffinetly why should they be judged ANY differently than the bible?

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
challenge everything................................

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join